Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » IMAX at the Regal Colorado Center 9 is the worst I have ever seen (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: IMAX at the Regal Colorado Center 9 is the worst I have ever seen
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-22-2012 04:53 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
12:30pm show, Sunday July 22. Auditorium #9 15/70 IMAX film (not an MPX auditorium).

Problems:
-Very dim xenon bulb with lots and lots of flicker.
-No subwoofer.
-Shitty EQ with emphasis on treble.
-Horrible aperture, fuzz on every edge, some more than others.
-Very soft focus, looked worse than 35mm at pretty much any given theater.

I mentioned my problems to the manager (Leonard, whom I remember being much larger so kudos to him if it's the same guy for the weight loss. Really, I mean it. Good job). But the first thing out of his mouth was "This is film". That was his excuse for how bad it looked. He claimed the xenon bulb was brand new. He did seem to know about the lack of subwoofer but beyond that said that he wasn't going to argue. He did not seem at all interested in correcting the problems. He did give me a refund which I did not ask for, however.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-22-2012 05:26 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad about the presentation quality being sub-par there. I'm wondering how good the 15/70 projection is at the Cinemark IMAX theater in Colorado Springs.

I figure there's four possible theaters where I might be able to check out The Dark Knight Rises in film-based IMAX:
Cinemark 17 & IMAX, Dallas
Cinemark Tulsa IMAX
Cinemark Carefree Circle & IMAX, Colorado Springs
Bob Bullock IMAX Theater, Austin

Does any FT participants have any recent 15/70 show experiences at any of those four theaters?

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2012 06:17 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may have lost my mind if I were there and he says "this is film" as if that is how film looks because it's not up to the superior digital cinema look! [Mad]

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2012 08:32 PM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby, you're best bet will the State Museum in Austin.

The three Cinemark theaters converted to digital and then reinstalled 15/70 for Dark Knight. Austin, on the other hand, has operated a GT film projector all along. It and the sound system were optimized for performance last September just prior to the museum hosting the GSCA conference.

Michael Putlack
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2012 08:33 PM      Profile for Michael Putlack   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Putlack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fuck! I just bought my tickets to see TDKR there for tomorrow night! [Frown]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-22-2012 09:38 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joseph L. Kleiman
The three Cinemark theaters converted to digital and then reinstalled 15/70 for Dark Knight. Austin, on the other hand, has operated a GT film projector all along. It and the sound system were optimized for performance last September just prior to the museum hosting the GSCA conference.
And there's your answer. Translation, assuming that these 3 theaters ever DID have good projectionists (maybe they did, maybe not)...now that they haven't ran film in a long time, the odds of them having a good projection staff still around to handle the 1570 film is slim to none.

Patronize a theater that has been running 1570 nonstop. Your chances of a good show are significantly better.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2012 10:18 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I have been beaten down by so many bad movie-going experiences that I didn't find it quite so bad. Or maybe things got worse since I was there. (I was at the 9am on Saturday.) Or maybe I'm not discerning enough. [Smile] I try!

- I remember noticing that it seemed a little dim in one of the early catwoman scenes, but that was it.
- I did notice the flicker during the end credits, but did not notice it during the film.
- Focus was not an issue for me, nor edge aperture issues.
- Audio was good for me. Though in hind-sight, I guess it wasn't as bass-y as Imax can/ should be.

I was in the fourth row, dead center. Joe, where did you sit?

Should we have a road trip to Colorado Springs to see if they are doing any better?

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2012 10:31 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad

The Cinemark Dallas brought back its old booth manager to run the 15/70 for the weekend, not sure about the rest of the run. The presentation was as flawless as Dark Knight was 4 years ago

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-22-2012 11:41 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geoff, yeah it sounds like maybe you're just not a very discerning moviegoer.

It's definitely the worst film presentation I have seen that wasn't also scratched and/or dirty. Regal does not seem to care about their customer's experiences in Colorado.

Cinemark sounds like they care more than Regal does.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-22-2012 11:41 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan, That's great they bothered to do that, but we all know it only takes one misthread to destroy a print. Is he/she going to run EVERY performance of that print through the run? I'm betting there is no backup projectionist who is truly skilled there anymore.

That being said, the last couple of times I saw a presentation at the Cinemark Webb Chapel it would've earned a poor review due to scratches, incredible amounts of dirt and flat out bad sound.

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2012 11:48 PM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um... Regal? The Regal 15/70 in Irvine is threaded by floor staff, *when it's their turn*. No kidding.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-23-2012 02:22 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Well I do have some friends who live just north of Austin. They've been bugging me to come down and visit. So this might be a good excuse to do so.

I had a hunch the theater in Austin would be the better bet just for the fact they've been running 15/70mm film all along.

I came close to driving down there to see Mission: Impossible, Ghost Protocol, but stopped short of doing so for a couple different reasons -one of them being complaints about the 35mm source footage looking digital/jaggy.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-23-2012 02:30 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where's a mofo to enjoy a movie any more? On Blu-ray, that's where. MI4 was much more enjoyable on Blu-ray than it was in digital IMAX, not because of the visuals, but because of the sound. They should call the DigIMAX version MI:4K because that's the predominant audio frequency that will be meeting your ears at a very high decibel rate.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-23-2012 06:24 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, I wish you lived closer so you could drop by here and have a listen to our sound. I know what I like, but it would be good to have a critical listen done by somebody with a good ear who isn't a salesperson.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-23-2012 06:54 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll definitely drop by if I'm ever through Montana. I like theater owners like you, actually asking for critique instead of just trying to sweep everything under the rug like the chains do. I'm sure I might catch some small things that we could fix with no money, only a small amount of time.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: