Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » Will Prometheus show in IMAX? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Will Prometheus show in IMAX?
Matthew Prince
Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2012 11:39 AM      Profile for Matthew Prince   Email Matthew Prince   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After seeing the trailer, pictures and poster, the sheer scale of Prometheus almost demands an IMAX presentation. It would be better than the 3D version.

|  IP: Logged

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2012 12:59 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is technically room on the schedule for it, two weeks after the opening of Men in Black 3, but as of this moment, there has nothing to indicate it might.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-03-2012 03:24 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ridley Scott has approved 3-D for PROMETHEUS and the movie is now being shot with a new and much improved system than the one James Cameron used for AVATAR. I saw AVATAR in 3-D IMAX Digital and 2-D on Blue-Ray and although it was good in 2-D, seeing the movie in 3-D was the way to go. The same was true with Martin Scorsese's HUGO. By the way both, AVATAR & HUGO were nominated for Best Picture as well as many other technical awards. In my opinion, if James Cameron did not yell out loud "I am King of the World" when he won the Best Picture Oscar for TITANIC, he probably could have won again for AVATAR as best director and best picture.

Because PROMETHEUS will be a major release, I predict it will be presented in IMAX and the 3-D should be fantastic in that format.

-Claude

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-03-2012 04:12 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree, Claude -- IMAX's dual projection in terms of brightness (which is a huge stumbling block for 3D IMHO) really puts them heads above the other 3D systems and, at least here in the IMAX theatre I've been watching all the 3D IMAX releases. Single projector systems, unless they use seriously reduced screen sizes (in which case you might as well get yourself a 3DTV and stay home), are inadaquate once you've seen the improved brightness of the dual system, you'll never again be satisfied with RealD (underlit) 3D.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-03-2012 04:51 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,

Regal's first RealD 3-D system at the Dole Cannery here in Honolulu had a very dark picture when I saw their first 3-D movie "JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH and the 3-D image is still dark when I saw a recent film in that auditorium. All of the other three RealD sytems in that complex has been projecting acceptable 3-D images. Regal's other complex at Pearl Highlands in Pearl City near where I live has great RealD systems. The largest auditorium (#12) with a big screen is my favorite and the 3-D image is fantastic with a image that is just slightly dimmer than regular 2-D featrures.

Consolidated here in Hawaii has Dolby 3-D and Technicolor 3-D. The Titan X C house at the Ward with a Expand 3-D system was a big joke! I saw TOY STORY 3 and the picture was soooooooo dark, I was tempted to walk out and demand a refund. I never did but swore not to see another movie in that house again. The Dobly 3-D I saw at another house at the Ward was also dark but not as terrible as the movie I saw in the Titan XC house. The Dolby 3-D system at the Kapolei 16 was not as bad as the Ward when I used to go there a lot during the time when my late mother was at a nursing home nearby about two years ago.

-Claude

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2012 04:35 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would love for this to be in IMAX but haven't seen it mentioned on any of the lists we've been sent.
It's released in the UK only one week after MIB3 which in turn is only 2 weeks after Dark Shadows both of which are confirmed IMAX projects.
It may fit as a digital release but for us who still show real IMAX on 1570 don't hold your breath!

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2012 08:07 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't forsee it being released to us Film based IMAX's. As of right now MIB3 isn't a locked in film for us either, at least in the states its not as far as I know.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2012 11:21 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we got a Prometheus trailer yesterday to play in front of our John Carter IMAX 3D print, so I guess it's official now.

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2012 02:08 PM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
15/70? GOOD!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-08-2012 07:47 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Link

‘Prometheus’ To Get IMAX 3D Release

By THE DEADLINE TEAM | Thursday March 8, 2012 @ 2:02pm PST

Prometheus, Ridley Scott’s return to sci-fi terror territory he explored with 1979′s Alien and 1982′s Blade Runner, gets the full IMAX treatment, including 3D and the company’s proprietary IMAX DMR (digital remastering).

The 20th Century Fox feature will be released day-and-date with the standard theatrical opening. Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Guy Pearce, Idris Elba, Logan Marshall-Green and Charlize Theron star in the film, about a team of explorers who travel to the darkest corners of the universe in search of a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth, only to find themselves in a terrifying battle to save the future of the human race.

It was written by Jon Spaihts and Damon Lindelof.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2012 12:11 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
‘Prometheus’ To Get IMAX 3D Release

By THE DEADLINE TEAM | Thursday March 8, 2012 @ 2:02pm PST

Prometheus, Ridley Scott’s return to sci-fi terror territory he explored with 1979′s Alien and 1982′s Blade Runner, gets the full IMAX treatment, including 3D and the company’s proprietary IMAX DMR (digital remastering).

The 20th Century Fox feature will be released day-and-date with the standard theatrical opening. Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Guy Pearce, Idris Elba, Logan Marshall-Green and Charlize Theron star in the film, about a team of explorers who travel to the darkest corners of the universe in search of a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth, only to find themselves in a terrifying battle to save the future of the human race.

It was written by Jon Spaihts and Damon Lindelof.

and as Sam Graham would say ... Wackiness ensues.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2012 09:49 AM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this was shot digitally then the Imax DMR treatment hides what?
Pixels?
I thought it was to reduce visible film grain when blown up to 15/70.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-22-2012 02:13 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Victor Liorentas
If this was shot digitally then the Imax DMR treatment hides what?
Pixels?
I thought it was to reduce visible film grain when blown up to 15/70.

DMR is just a fancy acronym for whatever fancy blackbox technology is being applied by IMAX to get features converted to IMAX. It's whatever IMAX wants it to be.
Not that much different than the whole IMAX thing itself nowadays [Wink]

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2012 01:55 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We will be playing a 15/70 trailer for Prometheus on "Wrath of the Titans" so it looks to be playing 15/70 as well as Digital. I still haven't heard about MIB3 yet.

Here is an interesting article about DMR and IMAX prints and the "Black box" stuff there doing.

DMR how its done

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-24-2012 05:38 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kurt Zupin
Here is an interesting article about DMR and IMAX prints and the "Black box" stuff there doing.

DMR how its done

It's an interresting read, thanks! It confirms most my suspicions [Smile] . But, it doesn't cover DMR for digitally acquired content and it also contains stuff I don't want to believe:

quote:
Source film generally arrives at IMAX pre-digitized in either 2K (2048×1080) or 4K (4096×2160) resolution.
I guess 4K is still just good enough for a decent blowup, but scaling 2K to REAL IMAX proportions? That simply must look terrible blurry. Also, the article claims that there is up to 6K of information in a standard 35mm Kodak print, so why would anybody even try to use the 2K source if the movie was shot on 35mm?

Of course, for LIEMAX, a 2K master seems more than sufficient [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: