Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » Dark Knight Rises Midnight Shows Selling Out (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dark Knight Rises Midnight Shows Selling Out
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-10-2012 08:14 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Link To News Story

quote:
'The Dark Knight Rises' midnight screening tickets are already on sale...and already sold out
Jan 10 2012, by Darren Franich

The Dark Knight Rises doesn’t open for another six months, but tickets for July 19 IMAX midnight screenings of the film are already on sale in a few major markets. A quick Fandango check reveals that you can currently buy tickets for the sure-to-be-bleak sequel (bleakquel?) for a theater in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and New York. Or sorry, strike that — the New York IMAX screening is already sold out. If the other cities hold true to form, L.A. will be sold out soon but will eventually claim that it sold out first, while San Francisco will invent a new method of selling out that involves social networking somehow.

A representative for Fandango told EW that it’s unusual for movie tickets to go on sale this far in advance, comparing this treatment of Rises to Avatar — which was selling tickets about four months in advance. Warner Bros. did not immediately comment on the decision to sell the midnight IMAX tickets early. You might have expected the announcement that tickets were going on sale would have been, you know, an actual announcement, but it’s entirely possible that Rises‘ stealth opening was intentionally in keeping with the film’s ever-mysterious marketing campaign. The point is, some extremely devoted New York fanboy who Fandango’d Dark Knight Rises every hour on the hour for the last year is now going to see the midnight screening, and you’re not. So if you have any intention of seeing Rises on opening weekend, and not on a weekday afternoon, I recommend keeping an eye out for any further news about Batman tickets.

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-10-2012 09:17 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So anyone want to set up a betting pool on what the scalper rate will be?

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2012 11:24 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's actually "show," as admitted in the article, but still, I have never seen tickets for any movie on sale this early in my 26 years of exhibition.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-13-2012 09:36 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a great thought, Martin. One could make some money on this. [evil]

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2012 01:28 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris Nolan has been trying to get some pesky 15/70 machines reinstalled at some Liemax theaters that switched to digital.
This will help make it happen I hope.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2012 06:43 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And what do the theaters selling this far in advance if something happens and God forbid the film isn't actually read. I mean what happens if it gets pushed back.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-13-2012 08:59 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Victor Liorentas
Chris Nolan has been trying to get some pesky 15/70 machines reinstalled
Good God I hope not [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2012 09:38 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry Tom ,you will have plenty of generic Lie-max screens to choose from.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-13-2012 10:34 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There will also be plenty of other digital theaters boasting the exact same resolution image (or better), and a much lower ticket price.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-14-2012 11:04 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark- not everything is about resolution. IMAX Digital and "The IMAX Experience" does movies better than any other digital platform on the market right now.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-14-2012 11:40 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I know other people have said this before, but you're an idiot Tom.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-14-2012 11:44 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever Brad.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 01-14-2012 11:53 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look at it this way:
I know a chiropractor who relayed to me that a guy she knew in the field was so shitty at his job that he would get sued so often that he kept a lawyer on permanent retainer. I asked her how he could afford that, since people would probably hear that he sucked or at least he'd have no income from doing lawsuits all the time. And she said it was that he was so good at marketing himself to people that they'd trust him and so he still had a steady stream of income.

So yes, it's not all about resolution much the same as the amount of cash a healthcare guy makes isn't always a function of whether they're any good or not.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-14-2012 12:05 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Slycord
So yes, it's not all about resolution much the same as the amount of cash a healthcare guy makes isn't always a function of whether they're any good or not.
Right and not all 500hp v10 cars can out perform lesser V6 400hp plus cars.

What's sad about many of you folks on here is that many of you guys do not give any credit to the consumers who are actually paying for the product.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-16-2012 09:42 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You think I'm not a consumer? Who often went out of his way to go to an IMAX presentation and spend more money on the tickets? And usually brought many people with him? And will do it again (probably for the last time, it seems) with Dark Knight Rises?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: