Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » 'Adventures of Tintin' aspect ratio question

Author Topic: 'Adventures of Tintin' aspect ratio question
Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2011 03:23 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually don't trust imdb's notations as they are not always 100% correct on everything, but it's sounding like Spielberg composed the film in differing aspect ratios: one, to fit the entire IMAX (15/70) screens at 1.44 However, I can't seem to verify this, but wouldn't the IMAX-Digital screens also be full screen (1.78). It also sounds like he's taking his cues from Cameron's release of 'Avatar' and also releasing the film in 2.35 scope

|  IP: Logged

Frederick Lanoy
Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2011 02:32 PM      Profile for Frederick Lanoy   Email Frederick Lanoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tintin is 2:39 in 2 D, 3 D and Digital IMAX.

For IMAX 15 / 70, i didn't check but i guess it's still 2.39.

Danny Baldwin
Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2011 12:29 PM      Profile for Danny Baldwin   Author's Homepage   Email Danny Baldwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMDb almost always says 2.35 for 2D, 1.85 for 3D, and 1.44 for IMAX 3D on animated 3D fare. I have no idea why. It is not accurate.

TINTIN is 2.39 across every format.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2011 12:35 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh I know that IMAX is 1.44 but the question I was asking was regarding if the image was recomposed for the IMAX screen - I can only think of two movies that did this, 'Avatar' for starters and the animated film 'Robots' (2005)

Keegan O'Brien
Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2011 02:07 PM      Profile for Keegan O'Brien   Email Keegan O'Brien   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is Tintin even being released in IMAX in the states?

EDIT: Never mind.

Allan Young
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2011 02:32 AM      Profile for Allan Young   Email Allan Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, I caught Tintin in Digital IMAX and there was no letterboxing to 2.39.

Is the U.S. definitely getting 15/70 prints ? There weren't any in the U.K.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2011 04:46 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, we're not getting 15/70 prints. We were supposed to do a screening of it at the start of the month but they had forgotten to get a print sent from over seas in time, MI:4 has footage shot in IMAX and Tin-Tin doesn't so the obvious choice is to run MI:4 which looks incredible.

Allan Young
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2011 12:26 AM      Profile for Allan Young   Email Allan Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kurt Zupin
We were supposed to do a screening of it at the start of the month but they had forgotten to get a print sent from over seas in time
A film print ? I hate to be parochial, but it seems unlikely that Johnny Foreigner would get 15/70 prints when we didn't ...

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2011 01:39 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were only getting a print for a press screening on the 6th of December. Like I said, they forgot about it at the studio/shipping what ever and we didn't get one. We were told that it was supposed to be sent from some where overseas. There were prints struck for overseas, where they are playing I don't know. I do know though that some were made.

Keegan O'Brien
Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2011 10:35 PM      Profile for Keegan O'Brien   Email Keegan O'Brien   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw it today, in digital IMAX.... 2.40:1, no special ratio.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: