Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » 6-Minute The Dark Knight Rises IMAX Prologue Confirmed [But only on 70mm!] (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: 6-Minute The Dark Knight Rises IMAX Prologue Confirmed [But only on 70mm!]
Michael Putlack
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2011 02:52 AM      Profile for Michael Putlack   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Putlack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=83493

quote:

October 24, 2011

Last week, the rumor appeared that Warner Bros. Pictures is planning on showing a six-minute prologue for The Dark Knight Rises with Paramount Pictures' early release of Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol in IMAX theaters on December 16 (the film has its general release on Dec. 21). Today, AMC Theatres has confirmed the rumor with the additional detail that the prologue will only screen at 70mm IMAX screens and not at digital IMAX locations.

The plan matches the screening situation in December 2007 where The Dark Knight attached its opening sequence to IMAX prints of I Am Legend.

The Dark Knight Rises opens in theaters on July 20, 2012. Check back soon for a full listing of when and where the prologue can be seen.

I wonder why they don't include this at the digital IMAXes...

|  IP: Logged

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2011 04:17 AM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMC had posted this information on their online blog, but the post was retracted early this morning, apparently at the request of WB.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 10-25-2011 04:37 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Putlack
I wonder why they don't include this at the digital IMAXes...
Could be at the behest of Nolan... or just that digital LIEMAX sucks arse.

If this is a factual report, then it is to be congratulated.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2011 10:25 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I've been told, the Prologue is going to be all IMAX native based. Thus taking up the entire screen just like the Dark Knight's was.

Keegan O'Brien
Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2011 11:11 PM      Profile for Keegan O'Brien   Email Keegan O'Brien   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a bit of an outcry after this was announced, given how few 15/65 IMAX theaters are left. For a lot of fans, this would either force them to travel several hundred miles (slim to none would actually do), or resort to watching a crummy cam rip online the following morning after the midnight premiere. I was one of those fans.

Soon after this, AMC retracted their statement. Most theorize that it's WB just making a power play- wanting to be the one's to make an official studio announcement later on. But, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, since theater chains telling the public is just as impact-full as the studio; a retraction seems pointless if that was the case. It's possible that IMAX, Paramount, and WB are trying to come to some kind of deal to show the prologue in D-IMAX as well, since, let's face it, fans would be happier and the studios would make more money.

In theory it sounds great; preserve the highest possible quality for the exclusive prologue. But, in reality, most fans will end up watching it from a terrible cam rip online, which would defeat the entire purpose. Releasing it in D-IMAX as well is the more financially beneficial, and fanboy pleasing route. I say that half because the closest film IMAX is 500 miles away, and half because it's the truth. [Wink]

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2011 12:36 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about it's all still rumor to begin with?

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 10-26-2011 01:37 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And if it is true, it doesn't automatically mean that WB told them to remove it. Perhaps someone at AMC told the IT people to take it down? It would seem strange for them to purposely bring light to the fact that the thing would be playing at very few of their IMAX locations...

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-26-2011 08:47 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would gladly travel several hundred miles to see it. In fact, I may do that anyway even if it IS available on the crappy digital projector that now calls King of Prussia it's home.

And then I'd brag about it to everyone else.

[Razz]

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2011 09:18 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm close to both Chicago (Navy Pier) and Detroit (Henry Ford). I'm as sound as a pound.

AJG

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2011 10:55 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Garman
I'm as sound as a pound
I had to check out that meaning ... [beer]

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2011 08:04 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just submitted this through the IMAX website. I'm curious to see if I will get a reply.

http://www.imax.com/corporate/contact-us/
http://www.imax.com/theatres/

quote:
Hello,
I'm interested in seeing the new Mission Impossible film in IMAX, especially because sequences were shot using 65MM cameras.

But when I try to search for IMAX theatres on your website, I am limited to a range of 250 miles from my home (Denver). Unfortunately, there only seem to be low resolution "lieMax" theatres within this range.

Could you please send me a list of remaining 70MM IMAX theatres outside the 250 mile radius?

Thank you,
Geoff Jones

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2011 11:21 PM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Id be willing to be that you will get a cut and paste response if any from them as that is what I got when asking about audio specs. 12,000 watts of digital laser aligned blah, blah, blah...

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2011 09:37 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Keegan O'Brien
travel several hundred miles (slim to none would actually do)
It may be a low percentage, but certainly not "slim to none" ... I've driven hundreds of miles to a specific cinema for lesser reasons than the difference of quality between 15/70 and digital.

quote: Mark J. Marshall
I would gladly travel several hundred miles to see it.
[Smile]

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2011 10:02 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Their reply:
quote:
Thank you for contacting IMAX Corporation. Theatre locations are still being confirmed for Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol The IMAX Experience. Until theatres are confirmed, we cannot provide a full list of locations that will be showing this movie.
My reply:
quote:
Can you please provide me with a list of the nearest theatres beyond the 250 mile range that still project 70MM IMAX film?
Their reply was to send a spreadsheet listing all 91 theatres. I cut out the state/city/ name to post below. It doesn't look like there are any non-science ones even remotely close enough to Colorado to consider.

AL Huntsville IMAX Theatre
AL Mobile J.L. Bedsole IMAX Dome Theater
AL Birmingham IMAX Dome Theater
AZ Tusayan Grand Canyon IMAX Theatre
AZ Tempe Harkins Arizona Mills 25 & IMAX
AZ Phoenix IMAX Theater
CA San Diego Reuben H. Fleet Science Center
CA San Jose Hackworth IMAX Dome Theater
CA Los Angeles California Science Center IMAX
CA San Francisco AMC Metreon 16 & IMAX
CA Sacramento Esquire IMAX Theatre
CA Los Angeles AMC Universal CityWalk Stadium 19
CA Los Angeles Rave 18 IMAX
CA Irvine Edwards Irvine Spectrum 21 & IMAX
CA Ontario Edwards Ontario Palace Stadium 22 & IMAX
CA Cathedral City Desert IMAX
CT Norwalk IMAX Theatre at The Maritime Aquarium
DC Washington Samuel C. Johnson IMAX Theater
DC Washington Lockheed Martin IMAX Theater
FL Pensacola IMAX Theatre
FL Tampa IMAX Dome Theatre at MOSI
FL Fort Lauderdale Autonation IMAX Theater
FL Kennedy Space Center Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex, IMAX Theatre
FL Kennedy Space Center Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex, IMAX Theatre 2
FL Orlando Regal Pointe Orlando Stadium 20 & IMAX
GA Atlanta Rankin M. Smith, Sr. IMAX Theater
GA Columbus IMAX Theatre at Patriot Park
HI Laie IMAX Polynesia
IA Des Moines Blank IMAX Dome Theatre
IA Council Bluffs AMC Star Council Bluffs 17 & IMAX
IA Davenport Putnam Museum and IMAX Theatre
IL Chicago Henry Crown Space Center OMNIMAX Theater
IL Chicago Navy Pier IMAX Theatre
IN Indianapolis IMAX Theatre Indiana State Museum
KS Hutchinson Carey IMAX Dome Theater
KY Louisville IMAX Theatre Louisville Science Center
LA Shreveport IMAX Dome Theatre
LA New Orleans Entergy IMAX Theater
MA Boston Mugar Omni Theater
MA Boston Simons IMAX Theatre
MA Reading Tempur-Pedic® IMAX 3D Theatre
MA Natick Tempur-Pedic® IMAX 3D Theatre
MD Baltimore IMAX Theatre
MI Detroit Chrysler IMAX Dome Theatre
MI Dearborn IMAX Theatre at The Henry Ford
MN Shakopee Pepsi IMAX Cinema
MN St. Paul Omnitheatre Science Museum of Minnesota
MN Apple Valley Great Clips IMAX Theatre
MO Branson Branson's IMAX
MO St. Louis OMNIMAX Theatre
MT Yellowstone Yellowstone IMAX Theatre
NC Charlotte The Charlotte Observer IMAX Dome Theatre
NE Omaha Lozier IMAX Theater
NJ Jersey City IMAX Dome Theatre
NJ Atlantic City IMAX Theater at Tropicana
NM Alamogordo Clyde W. Tombaugh IMAX Dome Theater
NY New York Samuel J. and Ethel LeFrak Theater
NY Long Island Leroy R. & Rose W. Grumman IMAX® Dome Theater
NY Syracuse Bristol Omnitheatre
NY New York AMC Loews Lincoln Square 13 & IMAX
NY West Nyack IMAX Theater Palisades Center
OH Dayton IMAX National Museum of the USAF
OH Cincinnati Robert D. Lindner OMNIMAX Theater
OH Cleveland OMNIMAX Theater
OR Portland OMNIMAX Theatre
OR McMinnville IMAX Theater
PA Philadelphia Tuttleman IMAX Theater
PA Pittsburgh Rangos OMNIMAX Theater
PA Harrisburg Select Medical IMAX Theater
RI Providence Providence Place Cinemas 16
SC Myrtle Beach Myrtle Beach IMAX 3D Theatre
TN Memphis Crew Training International IMAX Theater
TN Chattanooga IMAX 3D Theater
TN Nashville Regal Opry Mills Stadium 20 & IMAX
TX San Antonio IMAX Theatre San Antonio Rivercenter
TX Ft. Worth Omni Theater
TX Dallas IMAX Theater
TX Austin IMAX Theatre
TX Houston Edwards Houston Marq*e 23 & IMAX
TX Houston Wortham IMAX Theater
TX Galveston IMAX 3D Theatre at Moody Gardens
TX San Antonio IMAX Theatre San Antonio Rivercenter
VA Chantilly Airbus IMAX Theater
VA Richmond Ethyl IMAX Dome
VA Virginia Beach IMAX Theatre
WA Spokane Riverfront Park IMAX Theatre
WA Seattle Eames IMAX Theater
WA Seattle Boeing IMAX Theatre
WI Milwaukee Humphrey IMAX Dome Theater
WI Fitchburg AMC Star Fitchburg 18 & IMAX

Keegan O'Brien
Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2011 10:17 PM      Profile for Keegan O'Brien   Email Keegan O'Brien   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jeremy Jorgenson
It may be a low percentage, but certainly not "slim to none" ... I've driven hundreds of miles to a specific cinema for lesser reasons than the difference of quality between 15/70 and digital.
The difference isn't relevant. The average fanboy isn't going to care whether they seen the first 6 minutes digitally or not, just as long as they see it. And, I doubt many people will travel hundreds of miles to see the first 6 minutes of anything. The actual film in July, I have no doubt many will, but I can't imagine more than a handful traveling just to see a prologue. But, who knows.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: