Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » The 15/70 removal is in full progress...

Author Topic: The 15/70 removal is in full progress...
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-14-2011 04:37 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Millenium Point

Our Dick Vaughan is removing the gear here, but the comments by Caroline Durbin reek of IMAX corporate schtick and makes me want to throw up. [puke]

|  IP: Logged

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 10-14-2011 05:13 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree, John.

What a load of corporate, thick-as- [bs] rubbish. She skirts around the resolution issue as if it is of little consequence.
Also, the issue of the disposal of the rotors and optics sounds appears to be part of a contractual destruction clause.

How very sad that, just like Qantas here in Oz, the suits seem hell bent on offering a tech-savvy public something worse than what is already standard and charging a premium to boot.

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2011 02:18 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Wilson
Our Dick Vaughan is removing the gear here
I hear most of that has gone for Scrap, when the Imax Projector should be offered to the Projected Picture Trust.

My view on this is they are making a Bad Mistake in Droping the Imax Brand Format, even if they had gone Imax Digital, Birmingham has over 50 Screens and most offer 3D!, who would bother to travel to see something in 3D at lower Res than they had experienced on 15/70 (and most titles will be just 2K) on a smaller screen at a higher price and having to pay to park the Car.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2011 11:57 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect IMAX and Giant screen venues will have a similar fate to Cinerama, now that they will choose to follow commercial cinemas technology and no longer lead the way.

Dick Vaughan has a great on screen presence [beer]

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2011 06:57 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so will all the museums that have 15/70 projectors also suffer the same fate ??

Keegan O'Brien
Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2011 07:00 PM      Profile for Keegan O'Brien   Email Keegan O'Brien   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan Goeldner
so will all the museums that have 15/70 projectors also suffer the same fate ??
Yes.

"Our 80 foot screens and dome theatres are heading into the digital era experience with next-generation laser projection technology thanks to an exclusive license deal with Kodak." - IMAX Corp.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2011 09:37 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
will the 4:3 screens remain intact or will they have to be modified (reduced) to accomodate IMAX Digital's 1.78 aspect ratio/screen size?

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2011 05:40 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ian Parfrey
appears to be part of a contractual destruction clause.
I've replaced a couple of IMAX booths with Megasystems 8/70 projectors. We offered to buy the screens and speakers, but IMAX refused. When they took out the projector, they cut the screen down and threw it in the dumpsters. They pulled the speaker wire tight and cut it so it "sprang" back into the conduit. It really didn't matter to me, it was just a normal install after that. Bobby Franklin and MDI ended up making money for replacing the front ends, and Peavey and JBL got to sell some speakers [thumbsup]

Rick

Jerry Murrel
Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2011 04:28 PM      Profile for Jerry Murrel   Email Jerry Murrel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard Hamilton wrote:

"We offered to buy the screens and speakers, but IMAX refused. When they took out the projector, they cut the screen down and threw it in the dumpsters. They pulled the speaker wire tight and cut it so it "sprang" back into the conduit."

That is heartbreaking. Almost the same thing that Regal Entertainment did when they destroyed the old curved screen at the UA Cinema 150 in Little Rock.

There were only a handful of these Dimension 150 domed theaters build in the US. Now I am left with only memories of seeing films like 2001: A Space Oddysey and Patton in glorious 70mm on a true curved screen.

Would that there were a few more of these theaters around besides the original domed screen at the Arclight Cinema in LA and perhaps one in Seattle. LA and Santa Monica are lucky to have the Egyptian (American Cinematheque) and the Aero Theater left for those who want to experience the 70mm experience, although on an essentially flat screen.

-Jerry Murrel
CineVision AR
Little Rock

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: