Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » King of Prussia IMAX has gone LIEMAX? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: King of Prussia IMAX has gone LIEMAX?
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-22-2011 01:36 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, at least they still have the biggest screen, I guess.

We went last night to see Pirates and were surprised to see the DLP logo on the IMAX snipe at the beginning. The movie itself seemed a bit dark and muddy. At one point we lost the right eye. After about 3 minutes the show froze on the screen. An announcement was made that they were fixing a slight problem and that they would rewind the movie a bit for us. They did - about 5 minutes worth of movie it seemed like. Then we were back on.

What a freakin bummer. Where am I supposed to watch the new Batman now? New York maybe.

[Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

|  IP: Logged

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2011 03:30 PM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having seen batman in just about ever perceivable format (35mm, 35mm on a huge screen, IMAX, LieMAX, and my home theater I can say that only the true IMAX did it justice. It was one of the rare times that my jaw dropped. It is sad to see true IMAX's being converted to digital. [Roll Eyes]

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2011 09:12 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
personally I favour the IMAX (15/70) screen at the Whitaker Center in Harrisburg than King of Prussia anyday - the screen seems larger for starters. King of Prussia's IMAX screen I thought was underwhelming.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-22-2011 09:54 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I agree with the "smallness" of the KOP screen size as far as IMAX screens go, it is still far larger than a regular multiplex screen and seemed just fine. Harrisburg is a bit of a haul for me, but that's where I'll go if I have to in order to see the next Batman movie on IMAX film. Either that or NYC.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2011 10:17 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what's the story with the next Batman movie, I thought I read at one point all the movie was to be shot in IMAX, or will it be like the last one, with select scenes shot as such.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-23-2011 07:20 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last I heard was that Nolan asked for permission to shoot a higher percentage of the movie in IMAX and was granted that permission.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2011 08:53 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^ [thumbsup]

I hope that one of the Smithsonian IMAX screens the new Batman sequel on one's of it's 3 screens, when they screened 'The Dark Knight' in 15/70 IMAX (at Natural History), it blew the IMAX-lite screens out of the water

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-23-2011 10:48 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooo the Smithsonian. I'll definitely keep that in mind. They have THREE screens? I know of the one at the Air and Space. You mentioned Natural History. Where's the other? Which is the biggest, or are they all more or less the same?

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 05-23-2011 11:11 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
This third and newest one is at the Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, Virginia (Dulles).

NASM: 487 seats, 50x75 feet, opened 1976
NMNH: 470 seats, 66x85 feet, opened 1999
Udvar-Hazy Center: 479 seats, 62x85 feet, opened 2003

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2011 11:39 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the pre-recorded lady is wrong then, she states the screen at NMNH is 60X90 tsk, tsk

also, both the IMAX screens on the Mall can playback 3D, the Air & Space Udvar Hazy screen cannot.

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2011 03:51 PM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam is correct on the specs.

NASM on the Mall has a limited size booth and thus restrictions on the length of film that can be played.

NMNH is a 3D GT, NASM is a two projector SR, and UHC is a single SR unit.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2011 10:47 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh I know that Adam is right, I'm just commenting that NMNH is overstating it's own stats. I thought at one point NASM also had a 70mm projector in the booth as well - I remember seeing 'Empire Strikes Back' (er, Episode 5) as such many many years ago (in a galaxy far far away ... [Wink] )

Michael McGovern
Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2011 11:11 PM      Profile for Michael McGovern     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding is that just about all of the multiplexes have phased out 70MM IMAX and switched over to LIEMAX. How the theaters with the giant sized screens made this changeover, I'm not quite sure since it was my understanding that the digital couldn't project the image on a large screen the way the 70MM used to, but I'm not certain

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-29-2011 11:41 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's my understanding that IMAX doesn't really give a shit about that. FFS, the CEO of the company said that IMAX was never about having a large image. That alone should tell you how much they care about filling a screen with something equal to their 70mm giant screens.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-29-2011 11:45 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NASM had a pair of Century JJs, actually. In the late '80s that switched to a single one. Since the IMAX got center position, it really separated the 35/70s and changeovers really caused perspective differences between the two projectors. It was then opted to just show from one.

When NASM changed from the Langley theatre, got the lower-light, lost the 3-bladed rotor, went to SR projectors, changed from Mark 1 reel units to the QTRU, went to "3-D" and changed to the Lockheed Martin theatre, 35/70mm film was removed. With two QTRUs, two SR projectors (on diagonal tracks) and a lack of desire to program conventional movies, they/it had no place in the booth anymore.

-Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: