Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » "Murdering" Imax prints (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: "Murdering" Imax prints
Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2011 10:04 AM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a very sad reality: we strive each day to protect the integrity of that 70mm strip of plastic, no matter what the cost. Then one day, that print whose health you worship, no longer brings in the crowds.

NOTE: I don´t know how things were before this anti-piracy panic, but as you know, nowadays we are required to destroy prints.

I know it is not just a matter of piracy. The sheer volume of an Imax print makes it very hard (if not impossible) to ship back to DKP. Specially when you reside in the ass end of the world.
[Frown]

The first time we "murdered" a print (several actually: Poseidón, Happy Feet and Ant Bully) was back in June 08. And here are some pics.

DISCLAIMER: If you’ve got a weak stomach for gory images, [puke] then these pictures are not for you! Please exercise caution when viewing them.

-

-

Please share your own "evidence" of your own "murders".

Andrés

|  IP: Logged

Jason Whyte
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2011 10:45 AM      Profile for Jason Whyte   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Whyte   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, stupid question time, I don't work in the IMAX field but whatever: I know it's a "requirement" to destroy the prints...but why not just store them somewhere? Do the IMAX people require proof that these prints get shredded?

Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2011 01:08 PM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jason Whyte
I know it's a "requirement" to destroy the prints...but why not just store them somewhere? Do the IMAX people require proof that these prints get shredded?

Jason,
The photos you see there were taken inside a Shred-It truck. That company provides a "destruction certificate" that is recognised by Imax and/or the distributor as valid. In a way it was good luck that Shred-It has a branch down here.

Some distributors don´t even bother asking for a certificate. Which would be good if you would like to collect films [Wink] . However we don´t have any more space available in the booth to store prints. (Keep in mind that you want to store them somewhere clean (and not in dusty basements or attics). Besides, we believe that storing more kilos in that booth would be hazardous to the structure of the building. Bear in mind that a long 3D print can weigh as much as 300 kgs!! [Eek!]
Neither of these things leaves much room for alternatives.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-08-2011 01:45 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The least you could do would be to clip of a few frames as mementos.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 04-08-2011 02:10 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Methinks you could just pay the guy to give you a cert and keep the print.

Then again, I've never had a case where we had to throw a print away and I wouldn't care for someone coming after me for this. lol

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-08-2011 02:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
For anyone still running real IMAX (meaning 15/70) I would greatly appreciate leaders. I use them with 5/70 so every third frame there isn't a frameline, but hey it works just fine for me. [Smile]

(I've no use for actual content, only leaders discarded from the shipping rolls.)

Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2011 03:19 PM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
The least you could do would be to clip of a few frames as mementos.
(If there is someone reading who can get me into trouble for keeping frames then:) Joe: of course I haven´t.

Otherwise: Joe: I keep a nice collection! [Wink]

quote: Chris Slycord

Methinks you could just pay the guy to give you a cert and keep the print.

But... wouldn´t that be illegal...??? [Razz] [Eek!]

quote: Brad Miller

For anyone still running real IMAX (meaning 15/70) I would greatly appreciate leaders.

Brad,
I can supply you with leaders. However mine would be expensive for you because of the international shipping charges. It would be better for you to find a 15/70 facility inside the States.

Andrés

Bob Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2011 04:43 PM      Profile for Bob Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I have about 50 you can have. E-mail me your shipping information and I will get them to you.

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2011 10:32 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would anybody want to keep an Imax print for which they had no exhibition license, and the distributor wanted it destroyed.
If they have no reason to store it, and own the rights, why would an individual want to keep such a big bundle of film stuffed away somewhere? It's not as if many home theaters can run genuine Imax.

Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2011 12:17 PM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard P. May
It's not as if many home theaters can run genuine Imax.
That´s another good point I haven´t addressed. Why would you want to store it if:
1) You cannot sell it?
2) You cannot privately watch it?

The idea remains, however. We feel lousy each time we have to destroy something that we have tried so hard to preserve. [Frown]

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 04-09-2011 03:31 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard P. May
Why would anybody want to keep an Imax print for which they had no exhibition license, and the distributor wanted it destroyed.
  • To preserve prints for future exhibition
  • For legacy
  • Because many times before studios, distributors and film companies realised too late they had no copies of a film remaining and thence called on collectors to get their butts out of a hole
There is much more to the preservation of films than just profitability and short-sighted convenience factors.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2011 04:03 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've junked my fair share of IMAX prints and I'm sorry but the prints that get junked are not prints worth holding on to. Do you really want a print of "I am Number Four" or "Twilight: New Moon"? I didn't think so, these are not IMAX Docs were talking about here.

When we junk an IMAX print it gets shipped back to DKP in boxes to be recylcled. They are picked up and taken back to Canada.

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2011 01:08 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Canada? I thought DKP was in Santa Monica, California.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2011 04:03 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are correct, I was talking with someone about IMAX Corp and just typed Canada by habit. It is in Santa Monica.

Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2011 10:57 AM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ian Parfrey

-To preserve prints for future exhibition
-For legacy
-Because many times before studios, distributors and film companies realised too late they had no copies of a film remaining and thence called on collectors to get their butts out of a hole

There is much more to the preservation of films than just profitability and short-sighted convenience factors.

Ian, I am a film collector myself. In the case of an Imax print, I don´t believe it is fair for anyone to rely on an exhibitor to store prints. Furthermore, an exhibitor cannot be expected to do more for future film availability that the Distributor or the owner of the rights themselves.

I believe every frame is worth preserving (no matter if it belongs to New Moon). However there are legal implications in disobeying the owners order to destroy his print. No profit-seeking company would chance that.

Finally, I have currently more than 25 films stored in the booth and we worry about overloading the structure. Nobody will pay to ship that volume from Arg back to DKP, which brings us full circle. We have to destroy Imax prints, but we feel awful doing it.

Andrés

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: