Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » 8/70 projector recommendations? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 8/70 projector recommendations?
Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2010 09:22 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My client wants to know if Ballantyne still will make and support Megasystems projectors. I told him I would find out on monday. I doubt if they will. They want the systems just the same. Two of the films are custom made for 2 of the attractions. I will need two 3D set ups and a 2D for a motion ride. They want to build the park in a different province.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks, Rick

|  IP: Logged

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 12-19-2010 01:06 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Ballantyne won't come to the party, how about Iwerks? I'm not very up-to-date re large format but at last look Iwerks had 8/70 happening.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-19-2010 01:28 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Kinoton SP75 is in production as is the MP75. The MP75E will run 4/35, 5/70 and 8/70. The SP75E will run 8/70.

-Steve

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-19-2010 06:04 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try Dollywood in Tennessee. They offered for sale their old equipment. Louis

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 12-19-2010 02:35 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, I wouldn't count on Ballenswine for anything anymore. They didn't care much when film was the only game and they care even less now with the digital rollout.

Do as Steve suggests and go with the Kinotons. They have always cared about their products and the support is excellent.

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-19-2010 07:28 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are probably used SP75E and MP75Es out there too, if one choses to look. They can, of course, be had new too.

-Steve

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2010 10:11 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Try Dollywood in Tennessee. They offered for sale their old equipment.
Does that mean Dolly's gone digital?

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2010 07:06 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If/when this deal comes together, it will be new equipment. Most likely Kineton. I can't put used equipment (that I am not familiar with) in this big of a project halfway around the world.

Thanks, Rick

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-20-2010 07:28 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That MP75E seems pretty versatile. Since it's capable of 5/70, is it also capable of 35mm mag?

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-20-2010 08:16 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One can have a 10-track mag cluster on the MP75E as well as DTS. The same is true for the FP75E (4/35 and 5/70). I believe one is limited on the number of options on the MP75E due to space, however. It has a lot going on and the dynamics of allowing for all of the formats dictate where the film skate/runners must go. This pushes things up a bit.

-Steve

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-20-2010 10:37 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cameron Yes, Dolly is Dolly Digital ((double D)) Louis

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 12-20-2010 07:46 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kinoton SP75E-870 the best bet. I have serviced the MP75E which is similar in layout....great engineering versus the voodoo magic of the Ballantyne...

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-24-2010 08:38 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is also the 8perf "epic" that used to be westrex later christie sold them and i think the original builder of them still sells them

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 12-29-2010 03:12 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably a good machine Gordon but Rick needs something from a solid company who plans on being around for a long time...I think Kinoton is gonna be around longer than the Epic since Christie has pretty much shut down film equipment production.

Of course if he really wants to piss off his client he could get them some of CFS' Dreamcatchers. [Smile] [Big Grin]

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-29-2010 05:10 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Epic is not a great machine at all and very failure prone.

Stick with the Kinoton.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: