Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » IMAX #1 Last show (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: IMAX #1 Last show
Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-18-2010 01:11 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday the worlds first Imax projector ran its last show and it was north of superior
funny the new compressor died and it had to run its last show off the original japanese compressors from Osaka

-

-

The machine will be replaced by a 3d GT (3d in that theatre is a big mistake in my opion)

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-19-2010 01:10 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have any history on this? How old is it?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-19-2010 01:15 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What did they replace it with?

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-19-2010 05:59 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Have any history on this? How old is it?
If it's the first one then that should make it 1970, at least for it's first public shows; I don't know when it first ran on test.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-19-2010 11:18 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The machine was originally built and used at the fujitsu pavilion at osaka1970 and was then moved to ontario place
in 1985 the reel unit and lamphouse were replaced with the prototype MK1 reel unit and the 15K lamphouse (the original was 30K)
later the machine was the prototype for the 48fps system
almost everything in it is one of a kind

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2010 12:29 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon says it will be replace by the gt3D system. Which is the system that we run, good to know your not going digital and staying film.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2010 02:13 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question about the GT3D, do both strips of film run the same direction or does each eye come into the machine from the opposite direction?
Also how many individual shipping reels make up a typical 2 hour 3d feature?

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 12-19-2010 02:32 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sean, if it's the same as the one at Gardenwalk in Anaheim, Ca. both films enter on the right side of the machine (facing the screen) and exit on the left.

And the feature I saw that was left there (Avatar I think) had over 48(!) reels per eye. (Bear in mind that the "reels" are very short, I'm guessing around 500 feet or so.)

I may be wrong on both counts, as I was there a few months back on a marathon situation so I had a lot going on.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-19-2010 02:59 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They have to be a lot more than 500 feet per reel - No? They're "short" because the film moves so fast.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-19-2010 03:29 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
15/70 film is about 1000 ft per reel, or about 3 minutes of run time.

It seems to me that Cinesphere will lose a LOT of usable seats when running 3D shows.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-19-2010 04:15 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the rumour i heard since i havent worked there for the last 3 years it is about 1/3 of the seating is gone

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2010 05:02 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adams correct, the average reel total for a feature is in the 28-36 range. Anywhere in that window is where your movie will fall. With Potter and Avatar going into the 40's. Avatar non Special addition ran 47 reels and SE ran 46 reels. All the reels replaced were much longer then there counterpart. To the point that the shipping boxs they were shipped in were filled past what they could hold. If you want to see pictures of the shipping reels, how they arrive ect. just look for me on facebook. I have several photos from the builds.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-19-2010 06:54 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Ontario Place's screen is way too large to put digital on it. Even putting in 4K would be questionable there. I hope they preserve that machine... my finger prints are all over it!

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2010 04:43 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DNA of many IMAX projectionists and technicians can be found on old #1.

Leads me to think that if you ever wanted to create the ultimate 1570 tech the gene pool there would be a great place to look for cloning material [Big Grin]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-20-2010 07:36 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes we could resurect bill shaw

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: