Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » Will Tron 3D have 15/70mm engagements? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Will Tron 3D have 15/70mm engagements?
Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2010 04:40 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious if anyone who might be in the know can confirm whether or not Tron 3D will have 15/70mm print runs for traditional Imax theaters?

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-03-2010 05:55 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMAX Sydney have it listed as Coming Soon. They are 15/70.

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2010 09:18 PM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. TRON will have IMAX 15/70 prints made. In fact, a number of 15/70 theaters participated in TRON Night. For the film, first run will be in 3D only, but second wave will see some 2D deployments on both flat and dome screens. The switch from 2.4:1 to 1.7:1 that takes place during the film is most noticeable in a traditional IMAX environment.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-03-2010 10:51 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't this movie shot entirely with a digital 3D video camera setup? I don't like "LieMAX" but if the movie is originated in digital 3D with only native HDTV resolution what's the point in blowing the movie up to 15-perf 70mm at all?

I ask this because I've seen a couple movies shot in "digital" that were blown up to 15/70 prints, Superman Returns being an anger inspiring example for how it was hyped. I was very very unimpressed. 2K/HDTV imagery absolutely does not have the native resolution level needed to address the size of film-based IMAX screens. An analogy would be me taking the low res thumbnail image on my Film-Tech profile and blasting it up on a billboard print. It's crap!

Marc Jensen
Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2010 11:47 PM      Profile for Marc Jensen   Email Marc Jensen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Wasn't this movie shot entirely with a digital 3D video camera setup?
Not exactly. The real world footage was only shot for a 2-D presentation. Once our perspective heads into the Tron world, you'll see content shot with the Fusion Camera System for 3-D.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2010 03:53 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why couldn't it open up full IMAX ratio of 1.33?

It'll still look good and I plan to see it at an IMAX 15/70 location, but if they have planned to have it open up in certain scenes, then why not go with the full IMAX aspect ratio?

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2010 07:19 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Hey, not bad!

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2010 09:14 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Full-Frame IMAX [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 11-06-2010 05:44 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The trailer shifts from matted scope to full frame. I bet the movie does too.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-06-2010 09:06 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marc Jensen
Not exactly. The real world footage was only shot for a 2-D presentation. Once our perspective heads into the Tron world, you'll see content shot with the Fusion Camera System for 3-D.
So is the entire movie in 3D? In other words does that mean they're faking the 3D for the non-Tron world stuff?

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2010 03:33 PM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If both of the trailers released so far are any indication, the real world footage will remain 2D. I suppose this could change, of course... but I hope it doesn't. The transition to 3D could be considered this generation's Dorothy entering Oz.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2010 01:05 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "Real" world stuff will be 2D and the Tron stuff will be 3D.

Thats funny Mark, I had written a response the other day that said the same thing. About how this was the generations OZ, with the shift.

Also, none of this will be full IMAX frame. It will be like all of Disneys other DMR's. Fill alot of the screen, but not all it. It will be side to side full but there will still be blank screen. It just looks like it fills the screen because its black on the top and bottom like when the Credits roll.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2010 04:59 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of it will be in 2.35 and some sections will open up to 1.85 is what i'm assuming going by the trailers.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2010 07:40 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen about ten minutes in IMAX Digital 3D and it wasn't full frame, looked like a normal Scope DMR conversion except the black bars are less pronounced on the smaller IMAX Digital screen. Everything we saw was in the Tron world. I was impressed by what I saw.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-05-2010 05:22 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its funny how the original Tron used 70mm at time will the new TRON will be shown on 70mm IMAX while filmed in Digital.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: