Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » Imax "laser aligned" sound (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Imax "laser aligned" sound
Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-07-2010 05:24 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Imax website I read that Imax delivers "laser-aligned digital sound that envelops you".

What does it mean? Is it a Marketing nonsense or does it mean something?

Cheers

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2010 06:45 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't all digital sound "laser aligned"? Sounds like marketing fluff to me.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-07-2010 09:47 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
A laser is attached to the speaker cabinet and used to aim the speaker at a specific spot in the auditorium.

Chris Aulisio
Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2010 10:25 PM      Profile for Chris Aulisio   Email Chris Aulisio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The why does IMAX still use the Microphones to set sound??

Adam, if you still have my number from Century Days call me. I can not PM you, I'm too new

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-07-2010 10:35 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
The laser is related to speaker coverage and the microphone is related to EQ.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-07-2010 11:00 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Laser aligned."

Yeah, when I play a CD in a CD player it plays "laser aligned" audio! Haw haw.
[Roll Eyes]

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-08-2010 06:02 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see. And does it make such a big difference to advertise it as the only feature about its sound system?

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-08-2010 06:31 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our engineer at AMC told me back in 1992 that the speakers in their large auditoriums were aligned using a laser.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-08-2010 09:18 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For years we have used a laser that replaces the HF driver to aim horns in theatres

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-08-2010 12:38 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny! I use my EARS!

Everything else (mikes, EQ, multiplexers) is only used for confirmation. Ears first and last; instrumentation in the middle. Louis

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-09-2010 09:21 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Laser" is like "digital;" it has a high-tech sound to it so people assume it means higher quality.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-09-2010 11:21 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Gord. I've had an adaptor that I use with my Alignotron and mount it to the back of the horns.

Louis.,.. you can't tell by ear where two feet above the rear center seat is at... What does it sound like at three feet and four feet above that same seat commpared to two feet ?

And what about the seats on each side... What does that sound like?

Mark

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2010 05:56 PM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Louis, sound sytems need to pass the hearing test, they must SOUND good, not just look good on paper, well computer screen.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-09-2010 07:27 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
#1 I walk around to sample various areas.

#2 If I am trying to keep audio off the rear wall, I put the mike there and put the Abacus in the speaker loft with me. Aiming is easy.

At the National in Washington DC, it was necessary to stack 4675 horns on each channel. It was decided to cover the main floor with the lower horns and the 3 balconies with the upper horns. The point of interference was put on the front of the first balcony. Put a mike there, airm the lower horn, kill the audio to it and then aim the upper horn, then reconnect both. Job done! Louis

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-09-2010 07:33 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone who EQs by the numbers and walks away without listening to good known material is a poor sound technician.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: