Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » Current IMAX speakers

Author Topic: Current IMAX speakers
Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2008 04:28 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found some photos of a new install of an IMAX theatre (which looks to be in a multiplex so not a traditional theatre) and I noticed that the current speaker designs seems to have gone away from from the point source coaxial designs to a slightly more conventional layout. Is the reason for this cost? Could they have changed over to Linkwitz-Riley crossover (or were they using these already in their systems?) which take into account the non coincident drivers (and their off axis response) and so this offers more flexibility?

The speakers in question-

IMAX Speakers

I also found this video on youtube showing the new system installed in the Fort Worth museum and it shows what looks to be a 4 way system (watch at 0.35 in)

Fort Worth Sound System

What layout did the earlier IMAX speakers use? Do the 4 way IMAX systems still use bass management to send it to the sub stack?

|  IP: Logged

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2008 11:32 AM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam has pictures of both GT and SR speaker systems. They are much more substantial than those little mini-speakers being installed on the screen you pictured.

The IMAX Basics thread has some pictures as well.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2008 02:14 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMAX could be contracting out Speaker designs/setups. I read awhile back that an IMAX dome theater was installing the latest version of Tom Danley's speaker system ( SH-96 ).

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 11-24-2008 11:46 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those are MPX speakers. They look small, but just wait until you turn them on. Those suckers move a lot of air.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2008 05:43 PM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there are a number of older theatres where the sound systems were supplied by companies other than IMAX. This was the case with our original sound system in Bradford in 1983.
Several of these theatres are now upgrading their systems. Media Merge from Alabama have been involved in a number of these.

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2008 10:42 PM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spokane's Riverfront Park IMAX was outfitted with a 3rd party sound system. The crown amps and Oxmoor EQ units were present, but a Allen & Heath mixing board and JBL speakers were used. They were using a DTS-6D SV supplied the audio on all new prints. 6 track mag was used on older prints. They updated to a newer playback system recently. It's not a DDP II, but something newer. They do not use a DTAC system.

Jim Patriarca
Film Handler

- posted 12-17-2008 04:17 PM      Profile for Jim Patriarca   Email Jim Patriarca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have upgraded to the Danley speakers and LabGruppen amps.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-04-2009 01:49 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMAX, Munich always had larger amps and JBL speakers. Louis

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 06-12-2011 01:20 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 857 days since the last post.

Fenix Huang
Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2011 01:20 AM      Profile for Fenix Huang   Email Fenix Huang   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hii Paul Trimboli,

I have seen your link. I compared the drawing from Kanga IMAX project that delivers 24,000watts etc etc to the existing speakers for IMAX 1570 screen

They look almost identical. you know, hand made here and there, JBL Pro fitted, etc etc.

the Fort Worth installation looks exactly that of Kanga installed in Canada

Plus the company who first built Kanga prototype = original builder for IMAX speakers from Sonics. The company behind Kanga, used to be employed with Sonics Alabama.

Hemmm ... actually dunno if the final products end up being different altogether.

I have an image here to look at

-

-

If the powersubs are stacked to 8-10 (similar to omniMAX Singapore), and add extra Speaker Clusters on each rear, then the total will be beyond 24,000 watts

no ?

[ 06-12-2011, 02:39 AM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: