Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » No one is mentioning EAGLE EYE in IMAX

Author Topic: No one is mentioning EAGLE EYE in IMAX
Sam King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2008 11:37 PM      Profile for Sam King   Email Sam King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not that it's really worth mentioning lol, but hey, it's another movie in IMAX, and isn't this Paramount's first live action IMAX day and date release? So I guess it's a step forward?

|  IP: Logged

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2008 04:42 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paramount/Dreamworks did 'Beowulf' day/date in IMAX with the standard 35mm/digital release.

Sam King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2008 05:22 PM      Profile for Sam King   Email Sam King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but that was not really live action.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-15-2008 07:51 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a hard time getting excited at all about a DMR blow-up to IMAX from 35mm. At least in the case of The Dark Knight there was some actual 70mm-based footage hitting the screen.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2008 02:40 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
I find it hard to get excited about going to the movies in general these days. At least if you were going to IMAX (DMR or otherwise) you could expect a large, sharp and focused picture with great sound (played at a respectable level instead of potted down for one nit-wit who doesn't comprehend dynamic range)and a print that hasn't been mangled by some pimply-faced glorified popcorn pusher. Haven't seen the "digital version" of IMAX yet and like most here I am skeptical, but unlike most I am reserving judgement until I can see it with my own eyes. I am familiar with the "big screens" at the AMC (American Mulching Cinema) Neshaminy 24 and the sound always sucked in those auditoriums...a deficiency common to their "Taurus Screen"-equipped auditoriums. I assume these are the "IMAX" screens but I will see in time. I plan to see Eagle Eye at one of the local IMAX digital outlets...either Neshaminy or Cherry Hill NJ.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 09-11-2008 05:45 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Tommassello
At least if you were going to IMAX (DMR or otherwise) you could expect a large, sharp and focused picture with great sound (played at a respectable level instead of potted down for one nit-wit who doesn't comprehend dynamic range)and a print that hasn't been mangled by some pimply-faced glorified popcorn pusher.
Yeah because there are no IMAX screens in standard multiplexes? [Roll Eyes]

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2008 04:29 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
I was under the impression (at least quite a few years ago) that IMAX had some say over who was managing their booths. When the screen at King of Prussia PA opened they directly interviewed applicants for the booth manager position. Of the five IMAX theaters I have attended in my life only two are in standard multiplexes so if they aren't using designated operators I would guess they must have their senior popcorn man operating them because the prints are typically in very good shape through the run of the show. Eagle Eye will be my first digital IMAX "experience" and I am anxious to see what (if anything) separates it from a good quality standard digital presentation.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2008 08:34 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the record, regarding EAGLE EYE in NYC....

Digital Projection -- IMAX @ Empire 25
Special 70mm Print -- Imax @ Lincoln Square 12

That's the first print mention I've seen of Digital Projection.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 09-25-2008 07:17 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's "special" about the 70mm print? [Confused]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: