Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - IMAX 3D question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - IMAX 3D question
Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2008 09:04 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know I maybe jumping the gun here, but what's the deal with this release, is the whole movie going to be 3D or will select scenes be presented in 3D like the previous film; 'The Order of the Phoenix' was in IMAX.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 07-24-2008 02:45 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the teaser, it clearly reads "Selected scenes in IMAX 3D".

The question is really whether its going to be scenes throughout the film (like Superman) or just the ending.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-24-2008 05:19 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do they at least re-use the black slug on these prints or just run off new stock.

If it's the former, that's great. [thumbsup]

If it's the latter that's an awful waste of film just to make more landfill. [thumbsdown]

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 07-24-2008 06:14 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The great thing about the last Harry Potter was that we didn't need any slug at all for it. The newer software used on the MPX system was able to start up the second projector when needed. I don't know if this software update works for the SR, though I don't see any reason why it couldn't. The GT is out of luck since both the right eye and left eye make use of the same rotor.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 07-24-2008 08:37 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When a print has concluded its run, the studios either want the prints back, at which time they send cases/platters, or they tell us to junk the print for recycling, and then they have the boxes picked up. For us, it's about half and half, which ones we junk or pack-up/ship-out.

For the last Harry Potter, we were told to junk the main (left eye) print which contained the whole feature. The slug print with the finale sequence (right eye) was the one they wanted shipped back.

So, that indicates that they're preserving the black slug in one form or another.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-31-2008 03:39 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the cost of those prints, one would think if there was even the most remote of a chance that they would at some time in the future rerelease it, that they would keep at least a few of the prints in storage. Aren't all the IMAX prints stored for rotation release? Why not keep at least a few of these studio titles in storage as well?

Plus, when the whole thing moves to those two digital Sony projectors, there will no doubt be some crazies out there who will buy the IMAX film projectors, especially the MPX units, for their "home theatres," ala James Harvey and his Cinerama setup. People will sure be wishing some of those DMR prints would have gotten derailed on the way to the shredder and squirrled away for the next generation of lunatic film collectors. [thumbsup]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-31-2008 05:25 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who's to say they didn't? [Wink]

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2008 06:06 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A certain number of DMR prints are storedfor later use but the majority are recycled. Considering most of them have only a few hundred passes then it does seem a pity but the cost of storage of a 100 1570 prints is considerable.
Don't forget that a single copy of,say,Polar Express takes up 4 45" transport platters and if stored in cases , 4 48" x 48" x 9" cases.

In total a 4foot x 4 foot x 3 foot space with a combined weight of over a 1000 lbs!!!

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2008 12:43 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
James Harvey and his Cinerama
John Harvey.

Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2008 02:22 PM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Olpin
The GT is out of luck since both the right eye and left eye make use of the same rotor.
Arrggghhhhh... That IS true! However we get the biggest screens....

quote: Expert Cat Molester
So, that indicates that they're preserving the black slug in one form or another.
That opens a whole other can of worms: Will they send you the recycled black slug on cores (for you to painstakingly put back together yet again) or in shipping-platter+case?

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 10-05-2008 05:07 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The slug they've always sent us for these prints is in the form of reels, which match up splice for splice to the reels of the main feature print. How they take old slug reels and make new ones with splice markings in new places, that is unknown to me.

Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2008 06:57 AM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Expert Cat Molester
How they take old slug reels and make new ones with splice markings in new places, that is unknown to me.
Exactly my point! The only proper way to save a few bucks reusing it, is for them to send it all spliced up on a shipping platter (or 2) with the length accurate to the frame.
I cannot think of any other way that could be cost effective.

Andrés

Tim Rectanus
Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2008 10:48 AM      Profile for Tim Rectanus   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Rectanus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cost effectiveness is mostly seen in re using Black Slug from older prints rather than printing new stock. But I suspect it is cheaper to send it out on cores in smaller boxes than to put it all together and send out a shipping case or two to everyone. The added weight and size of the shipping case alone could likely double the shipping rates.

Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2008 02:35 PM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is that I have yet to see a reel of black slug with a splice on it. Since every reel is accurate to the frame, they could only theoretically shorten older reels, right?
I was under the impression too, that for each reel of the left eye/bottom deck, the corresponding reel for the right eye was of the same length. If that is the case, there is no good scenario to save money.
If all the above is true, then Imax/DKP should either send all of the black slug spliced together (to reach an X amount of total frames (and regardless of freight value)), or stop matching the lengths of the same reel of both eyes.
Hope this makes sense to the rest of you. It surely wasn´t easy to explain.
Andrés

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 08-28-2009 07:20 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Question about HP non 3D: how is showed this movie in Imax Cinemas? Just a blow up from 35mm or like Dark Knight with many real IMAX sections?
I'd like to see it at the Imax in London but I want to know first what I'm going to see!

Thanks

Marco

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: