Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » More [D] IMAX downunder

Author Topic: More [D] IMAX downunder
Rick Hunter
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2008 09:29 PM      Profile for Rick Hunter   Email Rick Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Urbancinefile news clip

quote:
17/7/2008: IMAX JV WITH HOYTS FOR MORE BIG SCREENS
In a new joint venture, Hoyts and IMAX will install four IMAX cinemas within Hoyts complexes. The first three will be installed at Hoyts, The Entertainment Quarter in Sydney, Hoyts Highpoint in Melbourne and Hoyts Carousel in Perth. These openings are scheduled to coincide with the opening of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince on December 11. A fourth IMAX auditorium will also be installed within a Hoyts cinema in Melbourne in 2009.

“IMAX is a widely recognized and very successful brand in Australia, and we are excited to open these locations in partnership with them to offer our customers the world’s most immersive cinema experience,” said Delfin Fernandez, CEO of Hoyts Cinemas. “IMAX offers a cinematic experience that people can’t get at home or in a conventional cinema, and this unique offering has proven to drive incremental attendance at the multiplex. Additionally, the IMAX Digital projection system eliminates the need for film prints, which enables us to offer our customers a wider range of content.”

The deal marks IMAX Corporation’s first international joint venture and doubles IMAX’s footprint in Australia.

“Entering into a partnership with one of the largest exhibitors in Australia is a fantastic way to initiate our international JV business, and it adds to the momentum of our overall digital growth strategy,” said IMAX’s Co-Chairmen and Co-CEOs, Richard L. Gelfond and Bradley J. Wechsler. “Hoyts is a top-notch exhibitor with a commitment to innovation and expansion, and we believe this partnership will strengthen our presence in the region.”

The film slate in IMAX for 2008, 2009 and 2010 includes:
The Dark Knight – Warner Bros. Pictures – July 10, 2008
Madagascar 2: Escape 2 Africa – DreamWorks Animation - December 18, 2008
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince – Warner Bros. Pictures - December 11, 2008
Monsters vs. Aliens 3D – DreamWorks Animation – April, 2009
Hubble 3D (working title) – Warner Bros. Pictures – February, 2010
How to Train Your Dragon 3D – DreamWorks Animation – March, 2010
Shrek Goes Fourth 3D – DreamWorks Animation – June, 2010

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-15-2008 11:05 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The deal marks IMAX Corporation’s first international joint venture and doubles IMAX’s footprint in Australia.
Last I counted there were 2 IMAX screens in Australia.

...and 2 plus 4 made 6 when I went to school.

quote:
“IMAX is a widely recognized and very successful brand in Australia
And THAT is just TOO FUNNY!

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2008 04:58 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John

There are two 3D theatres in Melbourne and Sydney but don't forget the Omnimax (IMAX Dome) theatre in Townsville and the 2D flat screen at Dreamworld on the Gold Coast.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-16-2008 04:07 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the one in Townsville had closed and theme park shows, well...

Maybe they can count after all.

Jonathon Miller
Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2008 12:52 PM      Profile for Jonathon Miller   Email Jonathon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does this mean they're now installing them for US Summer next year?

These openings are scheduled to coincide with the opening of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince on December 11.

Apparently they are now timed to open a week before M2. [Razz]

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2008 12:56 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have, or at least had a perfectly working IMAX venue that no one went to. It sat derelict for many years, and was recently gutted of anything of value to my understanding. We still have the dome screen, but I'm sure attendances aren't great.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-18-2008 04:18 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So these Digital IMAX will only show Hollywood converted titles? When they are showing 1.85 titles they increase the screen height? When they are showing scope, they reduce it? Basically they are then common width theatres? And will they run anything BUT Hollywood stuff; no IMAX ratio titles? So how much bigger than a typically big theatre screen will their scope image be than your typical big screen conventional theatre?

So I guess what I am asking, what will differentiate a Digital IMAX/Hoyt Theatre running nothing but Hollywood product from any other conventional Hoyt with a large screen?

[ 08-18-2008, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: Frank Angel ]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 08-18-2008 11:14 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The higher ticket price would be my guess.

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2008 04:58 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Imax Digital is now known as Mini-Max!

What are we doing talking about it in the large format section anyway, seeing it is not large format!

It sounds like when Cinerama went from 3 strip to Ultra Panavision then to just a trade name of a production company.

At least we'll all know the difference between real Imax and and Mini-Max.

David

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2008 08:37 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
“IMAX is a widely recognized and very successful brand in Australia
If it was that successful why did the Brisbane, Adelaide theatres get converted into conventional cinemas and Perth both the dome and new flat screen close?

Sydney was the big success, but it had noting to do with Cinema Plus who opened it with mostly ex hoyts staff.

Its location( Darling Harbor a tourist attraction) and its scale ( largest screen in the world) were all the results of John Wylie, a film maker who made "Antarctica" 15/70mm production. Australias 2nd most profitable film of all time ( after Crocodile Dundee) He was shafted just before the venue he imagined was opened.

Imax probably would have had a great reputation in Australia if he had been kept. Adelaide, Brisbane and Perth Imax venues were built in cinema districts (?) and Melbourne was built in a traditional location of a museum but opened several years before the museum, all built with the profits from Sydney Imax which was the most profitable Imax venue in the world at that time.

I will never forget explaining to the general manager who was on big bucks when I started, that the theatre was a mess and had no operational logic.

An example was that outside the building had lots of displays for forthcoming attractions but none inside the foyers etc. Traditionally single screen cinemas were designed that everything before the tickt box was designed to get you in right now, everything after was to get you back ASAP. Basic stuff. Seeing 500 people per hour with Everest tickets in hand, queing through complex Everest promotional displays, waiting to be let into the theater was such a waisted oportunity for return business. If they had at least explained what IMAX was to this captive audience they might have sold some t shirts.

I wonder what Hoyts will do with Mini Max. Greater Union now call their 20-25 metre screen cinemas G MAX ?

Is it possible to upload an audio file here? I have my IMAX intro voiceove that opened the Melbourne, Adelaide and Brisbane venues that I would share if I knew how.

Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2008 07:52 AM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cameron,
Just upload the file anywhere and post the link here. I do voiceovers myself for the Imax (real giant screen GT 3D Imax) in Buenos Aires and am really curious to see how you do it.

It is my opinion that when Imax came up with the MPX (multiplex-sized-screens) they should have differentiate it from GTs and SRs, by calling it someone else (i.e. Imax´s Baby Brother).
Don´t get me wrong. I see exactly why they were forced to move in that direction to stay alive. However I still think that they should have set it aside from it´s BIG BROTHER.
I can also understand why they (had to) come up with the DMR system to convert Crappywood films to 15/70. Arguably the reason why they are still around.

Now they come up with [D] Imax (Is that how they are calling it?) on a MPX-sized-screen. And STILL they call it Imax!!! (And not Imax´s Digital Cousin or something else).

My point being: For average Joe (9 to 5 accountant), what is left of the Imax reputation? It used to be giant screens, giant sound, incredible images and the only serious 3D effect anywhere. Now, when you buy an Imax ticket, you can get one of 3 VERY DIFFERENT experiences. (Where 2 of them cannot be distinguished from a big multiplex screen)
If baffling and ultimately discouraging audiences to go to Imax was the idea behind this, they I say they are on the right track.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: