Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » Digital preshow projector and 3D glasses

Author Topic: Digital preshow projector and 3D glasses
Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2007 03:34 PM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has been bugging me for a while now, and since I visited the Bradford IMAX today I thought I might ask here.

Like many venues, the Bradford IMAX uses a standard LCD data projector (connected to a laptop) to run pre-show slides on a looping Powerpoint presentation. If you are in the auditorium, and put on your 3D glasses while the pre-show is running, an odd effect occurs. The left eye sees just the Red and Blue channels of the RGB signal, while the right eye sees only the Green channel.

I've never seen this effect before on LCD screens, or on data projectors when using polarized sunglasses. I assume it's got something to do with the IMAX screen being silver to maintain polarization, and the glasses having two polarizing filters at 90 degrees to each other. But I still don't know exactly why it happens!

Has anyone with digital projectors and silver screens seen this effect, and know why it happens?

Also, just noticed today they had what appeared to be newly made 3D glasses. These do not show the color-change effect when you have your eyes level - but tilt your head 45 degrees, and you see the colors separate again.

|  IP: Logged

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2007 03:29 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not really a large format question so should probably move to another forum but here goes

quote: Thomas Pitt
Also, just noticed today they had what appeared to be newly made 3D glasses. These do not show the color-change effect when you have your eyes level - but tilt your head 45 degrees, and you see the colors separate again.

The orange framed glasses we previously used had 0/90 polarisers that is the axes of polarisation were vertical and horizontal. The new powder blue are aligned at 45 degrees to the horizontal like so /\.

The projector isn't digital ie using a DLP chip or chips just a plain old Sanyo PLC XP46.

It uses 3 TFT LCD panels presumably 2 are aligned in one direction and the 3rd is at 90 degrees to the other 2.

If you try looking at a laptop or other lcd computer screen through linear polarised glasse you will get a similar black out effect.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 09-14-2007 06:53 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dick,

What was the reason for the change in polarisation angles? I believe that 45 degree angles in traditional 3-D with disposable cardboard glasses was to ensure that the system would work correctly whichever way the user put the glasses on.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-25-2007 06:52 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I saw THE LAST BUFFALO at the Vancouver IMAX (at the time --early 1990s -- I think it was the only IMAX in Vancouver -- on the water in some sort of museum), the floor manager told me that the glasses they were using were the new "circular polarization" type which had the advantage of not being affected by how level the patrons kept their heads. I never heard of this and pretty much never really persued what it actually means. "Disney 3D" MEET THE ROBINSONS also claimed that the RealD system used circular polarization. Exactly what is this and is it different than 45/45?

BTW, THE LAST BUFFALO is a truely fantastic piece of filmmaking irrespective of the 3D element (although that element is truly awesome and some of the best dimentional cinematography I have ever seen) and in my opinion was Academy Award material, hands down. From my recollection, there was no narration at all and the entire concept unfolded only thru the visual content, juxtaposing nature and art. Simply beautiful. I would give anything to see this again in IMAX 3D. Anyone know if IMAX films have ever nominated or won an Academy Award, as this surely was worthy? I also thought NORTH OF SUPERIOR was a great film (and my first IMAX experience); I was so impressed at the time with the filmmaking, again irrespective of the IMAX process, that I contacted the company to see if I could book it as a special event in my theatre, in 35mm if they had struck a 35mm work print of some sort. I was even willing to install 70mm at the time if they could get a 70mm print (normal horizontal system, of course). Naturally they said emphatically NO because the IMAX titles would ONLY be available on IMAX screens, EVER. Little did I know that all I had to do was wait them out a few years to see the IMAX titles made available on Laserdiscs and DVDs where the IMAX experience could be experienced on a 19in TV sets. Even IMAX is a whore.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2007 09:00 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank

Better pack a bag and get out here to Vancouver as Last Buffalo is here [Big Grin]

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2007 02:21 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know, The Old Man and the Sea (1999) is the only Academy Award winning IMAX format film.

Old Man and the Sea IMDb

Vancouver has both an IMAX Dome screen and the first IMAX 3-D screen. These were built for EXPO 86.
TELUS World of Science Omnimax® Theatre
IMAX® Theatre at Canada Place

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 07-17-2011 03:26 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1391 days since the last post.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2011 03:26 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully on topic:
I recently attended a screening of a 15/70mm 3d feature at the Esquire Imax in Sacramento Ca and found them to be using glasses I have not encountered anywhere else. They appeared to be polarized, but had different color tint on each eye kind of like old anaglyph red/blue (I think this was blue/yellow). Is this some kind of new technique? I will have to say the cross talk between each eye was much better than the other nearby 15/70mm imax theater I frequent has uses conventional polarized glasses.
When I took the glasses off during the end credits it did appear that the two eyes might have been color timed a bit different.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 07-17-2011 06:58 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Colorcode is the blue/yellow process. Not sure why a corporate Imax theatre would be using a non-Imax process. What movie was it?

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2011 01:53 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The final Harry Potter.
FWIW the glasses had the word IMAX printed on the frames.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: