Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » 700 Amp Igniter parts

Author Topic: 700 Amp Igniter parts
Dan Reiter
Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2007 12:49 PM      Profile for Dan Reiter   Email Dan Reiter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trying to ID a custom-built Igniter.

the Primary is an old (very old) GE Ignition Transformer, 120 VAC in, a single lead out, 10,000 Volts, in a rounded black case, internally encapsulated.

The spark gap is a white cylendrical sort.

The Secondary is a very large black molded "brick", with the DC input & output terminals. There are two smaller electrical tabs on the side of the "brick", one receives the output of the spark gap, the other is connected to a capacitor, which is in turn connected to the input of the spark gap. This is fed from a choke, which itself is fed from the single output of the transofrmer.

Anybody got any experience with this?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-28-2007 08:15 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the fact it has "cast black brick" my thoughts lead to ORC

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-29-2007 03:50 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible that it is an original Stron X60 igniter? Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-03-2007 04:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try contacting Dick Niccum at LIT in Riverside, Ca. Dick built all the lamphouses for Neil Johnson's 15/70 IMax clones. Since they run 15K lamps they may indeed use a 700 amp ignitor in them. Take a look at the internals of the lamphouse in the Photo section... Museum Of Ancient Life 15/70 upgrade. I think page two of the photos. I doubt that its an X-60 but it could also have been made by ORC since they also used to do alot of contract work and potted most stuff in black bricks.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-03-2007 04:34 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Dick may know of that block, but I really doubt he or Neil would have used such crap as a neon sign or Ignition Transformer in their equipment.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-03-2007 05:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dan Reiter
The Secondary is a very large black molded "brick", with the DC input & output terminals. There are two smaller electrical tabs on the side of the "brick", one receives the output of the spark gap, the other is connected to a capacitor, which is in turn connected to the input of the spark gap. This is fed from a choke, which itself is fed from the single output of the transofrmer.

Phil,

I don't thihk you got to the important line in hiz post which I've quoted above. that "brick" is not unlike what is in the pair at Turkey Point. Indeed they wouldn't have used a neon sign tranny... that would have been too expensive AND bulky. They would have used an inexpensive high voltage secondary ac tranny like everyone else does. Its cheap and more compact.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: