Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » New IMAX Theatres (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: New IMAX Theatres
Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2007 08:12 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Press Release

quote:

IMAX Enters Joint Venture with Regal Cinemas, Inc.

World's Largest Exhibitor Expands Its IMAX(R) Theatre Network With Three New Locations Scheduled to Open in Time for Release of 'Spider-Man 3: The IMAX Experience'

TORONTO, March 12 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ - IMAX Corporation (NASDAQ:IMAX; TSX:IMX) and Regal Cinemas, Inc., a subsidiary of Regal Entertainment Group, the world's largest theatre chain, today announced a joint venture agreement for the installation of two IMAX MPX(R) theatre systems at top-performing multiplexes in California and Oregon in the next two months. The deal marks a significant first step in IMAX's new strategy of partnering with key exhibitors to supplement the growth of the IMAX(R) theatre network. Separately, Regal agreed to install an IMAX theatre at its newly redeveloped Pointe Complex in Orlando, Florida.

Under the terms of the two-system joint venture agreement, which is the first of its kind between IMAX and Regal, IMAX MPX theatre systems will be installed at the Edwards Mira Mesa Stadium 18 in San Diego, California and the Regal Cinemas Bridgeport 18 in Portland, Oregon. Both theatres are scheduled to open in time for the May 4 launch of Spider-Man 3: The IMAX Experience. The third IMAX theatre, at the Pointe Complex in Orlando, Florida, is also expected to open by May 4. This theatre will be operated under the Company's existing lease arrangement with Regal. Regal currently is the largest operator of IMAX theatres worldwide, and today's announcement will bring the total number of IMAX theatres operated by Regal to 15.

"We are very pleased to continue and re-invigorate our long relationship with Regal by entering into this joint venture partnership," said IMAX's Co-Chairmen and Co-CEOs, Richard L. Gelfond and Bradley J. Wechsler. "Regal has been a great operator of its existing IMAX network, and we are gratified to participate with its team in additional theatres. Regal is a natural fit for this type of partnership, and we are confident that its experience in the IMAX theatre business will contribute to the success of these new theatres."

"We look forward to working with IMAX as it further develops and grows the IMAX DMR(R) film slate. We believe that IMAX theatres offer a high quality experience that is attractive to our customers," stated Mike Campbell, CEO of Regal Entertainment Group.

The two new theatre sites will utilize IMAX MPX technology, designed specifically to enable multiplex operators to more cost effectively enter into the IMAX theatre business, either by retrofitting an existing stadium seating auditorium or via an economical new build. The new IMAX theatres will be capable of playing Hollywood event films that have been digitally re-mastered into IMAX's format, as well as original IMAX productions in 2D and IMAX(R) 3D. The Pointe Orlando system will feature an IMAX GT system.

IMAX's 2007 film slate already includes three of the year's most anticipated releases, with 300 which, opened March 9; Spider-Man 3, which opens May 4; and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, which opens July 3.

It's about time San Diego got a commercial IMAX theatre considering the area's 1 million+ population (2 million+ when including the suburbs and North County, and 3 million+ when including the illegal aliens).

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 04-08-2007 11:23 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guess who's going to be running the projector at Mira Mesa... [Big Grin]

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2007 01:27 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What markets do you think need an IMAX theatre? What large markets could justify another IMAX screen or two?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-09-2007 10:11 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oklahoma City could use a IMAX-branded theater capable of 3D. The closest thing to that currently in OKC is the Iwerks 15/70-based dome screen theater at the Omniplex Science Museum.

I have heard rumors about Dickinson Theaters making a deal with IMAX and plans to build a new IMAX theater somewhere in OKC. There was even a mention of it on the company's website. Staffers at IMAX say there are currently no plans of IMAX going into Oklahoma City. Not to intentionally insult Dickinson Theaters, but I'm a little concerned about how they're going to implement IMAX in the theaters they actually build. They're reportedly going with the MPX system and likely putting in significantly smaller, less costly auditoriums. The auditoriums would also be equipped with standard audio systems instead of the more powerful audio systems typically found in full size IMAX theaters.

My own feeling is IMAX needs to at least be shown big. If the format is run on a screen not really any bigger than some larger standard movie screens then the result is going to be very underwhelming. Combine that with all the low-rez IMAX DMR blow-ups we're seeing and many will just be asking, "why freaking bother in the first place?"

Why would I want to pay anything extra at all to see something like a 2K resolution movie shown on a kinda big screen? The IMAX logo isn't going to be enough to sell that stuff. I might not mind the more modest screen size if actual 15/70 photographed material was still being shown on it. But if it's merely 2K blow up shit, I might as well watch the show in 35mm or 2K digital on a normal sized movie screen. And if I want the image to be "big" I'll just move a few rows closer to the screen.

The folks at IMAX really need to consider just how their brand and their product is being negatively affected in all of this. True 15/70 material on gigantic screens is the only real IMAX format. Anything less is a compromise. Not enough people know that at this point, but I think more will figure out the difference.

I also think this is the same sort of thing that eventually killed off 5-perf 70mm for standard movie theaters. Once the 35/70 blow ups were deemed "good enough" we saw nearly all the native 65/70 work disappear. IMAX seems to be heading in the same direction.

Anyway, those are my concerns with movie theater chains trying to adopt IMAX on the cheap.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2007 04:41 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dickinson's IMAX plans

quote:
Dickinson Theatres is 'Thinking BIG'

Dickinson Theatres Enters IMAX(R) Theatre Business on Heels of Strong Performing Hollywood IMAX Releases

"Moviegoers are paying a premium to see Hollywood movies in IMAX's format, and with more major studio releases coming each year, we felt now was the right time to enter the IMAX theatre business," said John Hartley, CEO of Dickinson Theatres, Inc. "The installation of IMAX theatres in our new locations will help us earn incremental revenue and differentiate ourselves from competitors. Moreover, the IMAX theatres will help ensure that our multiplexes offer the world's most powerful and immersive cinematic experience."

Dickinson Theatres will open its IMAX theatres in Mesa, Arizona; Little Rock, Arkansas; Springfield, Missouri; and Wichita, Kansas; with the fifth location to be determined. The first theatre is scheduled to be installed in 2007, with the next three in 2008 and the fifth to be installed in 2009. All of the theatres will utilize IMAX MPX(R) technology, designed specifically to enable multiplex operators to more cost effectively enter into the IMAX theatre business, either by retrofitting an existing stadium-seating auditorium or via an economical new build. The new IMAX theatres will be capable of playing Hollywood event films that have been digitally re-mastered into the unparalleled image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience(R), as well as original IMAX productions in 2D and IMAX(R) 3D.

quote:

DICKINSON THEATRES TO BUILD “IMAX” THEATRE IN OKLAHOMA CITY

Dickinson Theatres and the Oklahoma City community have shared many a laugh and a few tears through the years at the Penn Square Mall 10 Cinemas. Our theatres have brought Oklahoma City movie fans the finest in Hollywood film fare through the years. Today we are proud to announce our newest venture with the Oklahoma City community and This time we ‘THINK BIG!’

Dickinson Theatres in 2009 ‘EVENT-IZES’ the Movies in Oklahoma City at our fabulous new ‘IMAX’ Motion Picture Complex located in Oklahoma City.

Today’s most popular movies presented Bigger than Life on Dickinson’s Giant, 5-story tall ‘IMAX’ Screen! Dickinson Theatres will also feature the full “IMAX” Library of films shown at museums and cultural centers all across the country – “Fins, Fur and Fish” as described by “IMAX” in 2D or 3D. An Audio and Visual entertainment experience of 70 feet wide proportions! We are thrilled to be able to bring the total ‘IMAX’ Experience to Oklahoma City in 2009.

We are Dickinson Theatres, Purveyors Of The Motion Picture Experience since 1920. Rich in tradition. Excited about our future. YOU are part of it!

[ 04-11-2007, 04:46 AM: Message edited by: Michael Coate ]

Sam King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2007 07:31 PM      Profile for Sam King   Email Sam King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one dissapointed with all these NEW MPX theatres? When is someone going to build a REAL new IMAX.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-10-2007 03:31 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the time where formats like IMAX were done right may fading into history. I also think many of these low cost MPX builds going into service will not last very long and eventually be converted over to 35mm or 2K digital projection.

These days lots of bean counters are eaten up with the "digital" buzzword and stupidly think it can be used for any purpose. When I see what is happening it makes me think of similar abominations taking place in print graphics. You pick up a certain magazine or newspaper and the cover photo is so low in resolution the pixels are big enough to make the image look like it was put together with Lego bricks. But, hey, as long as the artwork as "digital" it's perfectly acceptable!
[Roll Eyes]

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2007 11:22 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Santikos Enters Houston Market

quote:

Legendary South Texas Movie Theater Owner Announces Plans for A 19-Screen, 200,000-Square-Foot Theater, Retail and Restaurant Project On Highway 249 Near Tomball Development Will Include a New IMAX Theater

SAN ANTONIO, April 11, 2006–John Santikos, the legendary South Texas entrepreneur who has built a movie theater empire in the Alamo City, announces his first foray into the Houston market with the groundbreaking of Silverado Station, a 200,000 square-foot retail development located at the northwest corner of Highway 249 and Northpoint near the proposed Grand Parkway and the city of Tomball.

Silverado Station will feature a 5,000-seat, state-of-the-art, 19-screen, 100,000 square-foot movie megaplex with an additional 100,000 square feet of entertainment, retail and restaurant space. Site Though site work actually started a few weeks ago, construction began this week and is slated for completion by the end of the year.

“The Silverado is destined to be the most unique theater in the Houston metroplex,” Santikos said. “We are thrilled to be entering this exciting and growing market.”

Designed by Hodges and Associates, Architects, the Silverado will feature a western theme for both the interior and exterior designs. It will include the latest digital projection and sound, as well as an IMAX theater, which will be only the second IMAX in the Houston metropolitan area. The theater will offer the best in seating comfort and many luxurious appointments.

Based in San Antonio, Santikos Theatres was founded in 1914 and is one of the state’s oldest theater companies. At the dawn of the silent movie era, John Santikos’ father, Louis Santikos, a Greek immigrant and entrepreneur, began his career building and operating nickelodeons throughout the state. In 1924 he built the Palace Theatre, San Antonio’s first opulent movie house, which was located across from the Alamo.

Since then, Santikos Theatres has grown a veritable movie theater dynasty in the San Antonio market. Throughout its history, the company has earned a reputation for innovation. For instance, in 1947 Santikos introduced San Antonio’s first drive-in theater (the Santikos Mission 4 Drive-In, located near the historic Spanish colonial missions on the city’s Southside) and in the 1970s it built the city’s first multi-screen cinema.

Most recently, Santikos introduced San Antonio’s first “cinema bistro” experiences with the opening of The Bijou and The Rialto Cinema Bar & Grill/Piccolo. These multi-screen theaters feature full-service cafes and in-theater dining, as well as a winning combination of popular new releases and cutting-edge specialty and independent films.

In addition, Santikos recently broke ground on several new real estate developments in the San Antonio area, including a 100-acre mixed-use retail and residential project called The Legacy.

For more information regarding Silverado Theatre, call 210-483-4002. For information about the Silverado Station retail and restaurant complex, call 210-483-4019.

I think what they meant to write was that this new Santikos theatre will be the second commercial IMAX theatre in the Houston area. (Currently, Houston has one commercial and one museum, plus another if you count NASA and yet another if you count Moody Gardens in nearby Galveston.)

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2007 02:48 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Coate
I think what they meant to write was that this new Santikos theatre will be the second commercial IMAX theatre in the Houston area. (Currently, Houston has one commercial and one museum, plus another if you count NASA and yet another if you count Moody Gardens in nearby Galveston.)

I may be wrong but my understanding is that the large format theatre at Johnson Space Centre runs only IWERKS 8/70 now.

It used to have both IMAX 1570 and IWERKS 870 projectors installed .

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2007 04:30 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dick Vaughan
I may be wrong but my understanding is that the large format theatre at Johnson Space Centre runs only IWERKS 8/70 now.

Perhaps you are correct. If so, then the NASA entry should be removed or ammended on imax.com. Whatever the case, the Santikos statement was misleading and I believe my clarification was appropriate.

Actually, is the NASA theatre in Houston called the Johnson Space Centre/er, or is this being confused with a Johnson IMAX theatre in Washington, DC?

quote: Sam King
Am I the only one dissapointed with all these NEW MPX theatres? When is someone going to build a REAL new IMAX.

Portland Mercury news item

quote:

New IMAX Theater! Yes! Oh… Wait. It’s in McMinnville?

Posted by Erik Henriksen at 07:53 AM

The good news: Portland’s getting a new IMAX theater—and this one, unlike the one at OMSI, is going to have 3D capabilities. Sweet, right? Right! The bad news? Well, it’s not really in Portland. That was a lie. It’s in McMinnville, an hour away from here, at the Evergreen Aviation Museum, a place you will never, ever go in your entire life.

Anyway, the theater opens today, and is playing Magnificent Desolation: Walking on the Moon, Cirque Du Soleil: Journey of Man, and Fighter Pilot: Operation Red Flag. Showtimes—for both this week and in the future—can be found here.

Could be cool, yeah—but as of now, the stuff there looks a lot like the “OPB… BUT BIGGER!” type of docs that OMSI plays. If they were to line up some of the big summer blockbusters that’re getting the IMAX treatment—300, Spider-Man 3, Harry Potter—maybe they’d have some luck drawing Portlanders out there, but as of now, I don’t really see that happening.

quote:
The IMAX Experience® Coming to Evergreen Aviation Museum

The Ultimate Moviegoing Experience to Debut in McMinnville, Ore. on Mar. 23

MCMINNVILLE, Ore – Fri., Mar. 23, 2007— For the first time ever, moviegoers in Oregon will be able to experience 3D movies in the most powerful and unique way possible: The IMAX® Experience. The Evergreen IMAX® Theater is scheduled to open Fri., Mar. 23, 2007 in coordination with a series of Spring Break festivities at the home of the famous Spruce Goose, the Evergreen Aviation Museum.

The long-awaited Evergreen IMAX Theater, one of the largest movie screens in the Pacific Northwest, will showcase educational and entertaining documentaries as well as Hollywood blockbusters converted into the unparalleled image and sound quality of the IMAX Experience®, offering visitors a moviegoing experience unlike any they’ve had before.

The Evergreen IMAX Theater utilizes IMAX’s 15/70 film format – ten times larger than conventional 35mm film – and delivers the clearest, brightest and steadiest images in the world. At the new Evergreen IMAX theater, these breathtaking, larger than life images will be projected onto a specially designed screen that stretches beyond the audience’s peripheral view. The images are complemented by IMAX’s state-of-the-art digital surround sound system.

The Evergreen IMAX theater will be the first to offer The IMAX 3D Experience® in Oregon. In IMAX® 3D, images virtually jump off of the screen and float around the theater, giving people the sensation they are IN the movie. This is made possible by a combination of IMAX’s powerful 3D projector – which projects images onto the theater’s specially designed IMAX 3D screen – and the comfortable polarized IMAX 3D glasses that audience members wear to get the three-dimensional effect. The result is an amazing immersive cinematic experience where the screen disappears and the film becomes a virtual reality.

In addition to Hollywood movies in IMAX’s format, there are also more than 200 traditional documentary-style films in the large format library. IMAX films are known for their ability to take people to places they otherwise couldn’t go – to the top of Mt. Everest, aboard the International Space Station and to the ocean depths – and both for their entertainment and educational value.

"The Evergreen Aviation Museum is thrilled to offer this state-of-the-art theater,” said Phil Jaeger, Director of Operations. “The new facility is the only 3D IMAX theater in Oregon and is five times larger than a conventional movie screen, it offers a 12,000 watt digital surround sound system and the lobby features 10 miles of old growth fir. It will be an amazing experience for viewers of all ages.”

The Evergreen IMAX Theater will open with three feature presentations: “Magnificent Desolation: Walking on the Moon”, “Cirque Du Soleil: Journey of Man”, and “Fighter Pilot: Operation Red Flag”. The theater’s hours from March through May are: Sunday –Thursday 10:30 a.m. -5 p.m. Friday and Saturday: 10:30 a.m. – 8 p.m. Each movie is approximately one hour.

Combo prices to visit the museum and the IMAX theater are: $18/adult (ages 18-65),$16/senior (ages 65+), $14/youth (ages 3-18). Prices for just the IMAX theater are: $10/adult, $9/senior (ages 65+), $8/youth (ages 3-18). Museum members receive $1 off the movie ticket price.

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2007 01:00 PM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Coate
Actually, is the NASA theatre in Houston called the Johnson Space Centre/er, or is this being confused with a Johnson IMAX theatre in Washington, DC?
The JSC theater is called Space Center Theater and is located inside Space Center Houston, the visitors center for JSC. At one time it had both an Iwerks 8/70 and an IMAX 15/70 projector, but the IMAX has since been removed. The Iwerks projector is used to show their signature film, To Be An Astronaut.

As for Evergreen, which has had substantial delays in opening, the theater is a traditional IMAX theater using an SR projection system.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-11-2007 01:03 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
From the Evergreen Aviation Museum's website:

quote:
POSTED MARCH 23, 2007: IMAX OPENING POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
What gives?

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2007 01:33 PM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The fire marshall will not give them an occupancy permit while work is still goint on in the lobby. Because of all the construction dust, the museum is having to keep the smoke detectors turned off.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 04-12-2007 04:28 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I hear, ours is ahead of schedule. I think they start work on the screen itself tomorrow!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-13-2007 10:53 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
I also think this is the same sort of thing that eventually killed off 5-perf 70mm for standard movie theaters.
The sad thing really is that these could all be easily done with the 5 perf 70mm format. Called something like Super Todd-AO and it would be something just as special, alot more practical, and alot less waste involved overall.
quote: Bobby Henderson
Anyway, those are my concerns with movie theater chains trying to adopt IMAX on the cheap.

I can't think of any chain that has HAD Imax involvement in the past that hasn't learned the hard way that its meaningless.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: