Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » Looking for a Photo of 3D Imax (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Looking for a Photo of 3D Imax
Warren Smyth
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2007 06:29 AM      Profile for Warren Smyth   Email Warren Smyth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if anyone might be able to email me a photo or two of the front of an Imax projector running 3D prints. It is for a non profit club magazine to illustrate an article on 3D. It should be one that you have taken and is therefore your own intellectual property.

If the two films and lenses can be seen, it would be of advantage. Perhaps a wide shot of the whole projector and a close up of the transport. Many thanks.

*** DO NOT POST EMAIL ADDRESSES ***

[ 03-01-2007, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-01-2007 07:01 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
1. Do not post email addresses on the boards outside of the For Sale forum.

2. Imax does not allow the publishing of image of their technology. Anyone sending you photos will likely be in violation of a confidentiality agreement.

Tim Rectanus
Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2007 09:13 AM      Profile for Tim Rectanus   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Rectanus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In our dealings with this issue (built in disclaimer, there), It was the inside of the projector that IMAX won't allow photos/video of. We talked to them a while back about a local news crew coming in and filming and they said it was all right as long as they didn't go near an open projector, which of course the film crew tried to do right off.

Warren Smyth
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2007 04:56 PM      Profile for Warren Smyth   Email Warren Smyth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for the good advice. It is apprciated.

Christopher Meredith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2007 07:19 PM      Profile for Christopher Meredith   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Meredith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you had photos of the left and right eye frames of a 3D film side by side, could you do the "magic eye" technique and see it in 3D?

Charles Phillips
Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2007 02:30 PM      Profile for Charles Phillips   Email Charles Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, no?
Check out this video on Youtube.com that describes how the 3D works in IMAX
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozTH2zIKwC0

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2007 06:31 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Christopher Meredith
If you had photos of the left and right eye frames of a 3D film side by side, could you do the "magic eye" technique and see it in 3D?

Not the "magic eye" technique, but there is a technique called "free viewing" in which you do not converge your eyes on a single point, but relax them so each eye sees the correct frame. That takes plenty of practice, but there's an easier way, IMHO: "Cross-eyed" viewing. Put the left frame on the right, and the right frame on the left. Cross your eyes as you're looking at them. You'll see three images, the middle one will be in 3-D. Takes a little practice, but works for me.

[ 03-11-2007, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Hillary Charles ]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-12-2007 01:30 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are a Film-Tech member, there are some photos of IMAX 3D projectors in the warehouse:

http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/pics/imet/imet.html

http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/pics/edihou/edihou.html

Bastiaan Fleerkate
Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2007 06:32 PM      Profile for Bastiaan Fleerkate   Author's Homepage   Email Bastiaan Fleerkate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just looked at the Discovery Channel Europe and they have a program that is called 'How it's made' they showed the whole fabrication process of the 3D projector. From aligning the lenses (many tiny lenses becoming one giant one) to how the roling loop process works. This all in just 7 minutes or so... Maybe you can look it up somewere.

EDIT: OW I am stupid! There is another post in this forum that links to the show... [sleep] (it's not working though)

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2007 07:53 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no link to the show itself, just the website of the program. The HOW ITS MADE website does not show excerpts of programs.

The Imax segment might be available out on the web somewhere, but I am not aware of any locations at this time.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2007 09:25 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tim Rectanus
It was the inside of the projector that IMAX won't allow photos/video of.
That's interesting. I was installing a sound system in The Glasgow Science Centre a couple of years ago and took a tour of their IMAX booth. The Technical director who took me up to the booth wouldn't let the operators open the projector, and I had to leave before they threaded for the next show. He said I was the competition and IMAX's patent was almost expired.

Rick

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-27-2007 09:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Hamilton
I had to leave before they threaded for the next show.
You think thats bad former Film-Techer Steve Kraus was once grabbed by security guards at Cesars Palace for taking a shot of the Omnimax Booth there... this was in its last days.... I am pretty sure they confiscated the film from hiz camera. It was totally rediclous!

I have detailed close up photos of the SR projectors and for quite a whilea had free access to a closed Imax theater that had a pair of them.

Mark

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2007 09:57 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did a couple of IMAX replacements a few years ago. We gave them an offer for the screens and speakers, but their techs came in and cut the screens down and threw them in the dumpsters out back when they picked up their projector.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-28-2007 10:47 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Adam Martin
Imax does not allow the publishing of image of their technology. Anyone sending you photos will likely be in violation of a confidentiality agreement.

Then how do you explain all the images of the Imax gear on the pictures page? Also, none of the many Imax booths I've been in have signs specifically forbidding pictures being taken.

Richard,

That Lied Imax booth must have almost killed off that whole museum! I bet they were silently cheering as the machine was leaving the booth.

Mark

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-28-2007 11:34 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another factor that makes IMAX' attitude over photos more than a bit odd is the arrangement of the booth at several IMAX theaters I've visited: behind floor to ceiling glass windows and visible to the public fixing to watch the movie! You can see booth personnel threading the movie and then watch the projector lift into position. What's going to stop people from taking photos of that -especially with how digital camera technology has proliferated?

I think IMAX needs to get over themselves. Competitors like Iwerks already know every last detail about the inner workings of a IMAX 3D projector. The general public isn't going to do anything with that knowledge, provided they even care at all in the first place. After all, "digital" has all the glamour these days, not that icky analog film.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: