Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » At-Bristol Imax To Close

Author Topic: At-Bristol Imax To Close
Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2007 06:25 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I did hear about this a few weeks ago about the pending closure of the Bristol (UK) Imax Theatre Closure at the end of March 2007, it is now confirmed on their website.

"At-Bristol today announced a proposed new focus for the science centre designed to strengthen its position as a leading educational destination and give it long-term financial sustainability.

The science centre will now concentrate primarily on providing interactive exhibitions and programmes in Explore and the Planetarium, which are very popular with the public and schools. It will also continue to provide high quality science-based exhibition and education services to schools and colleges, as well as its programme of continuing professional development for science teachers through the Science Learning Centre.

Under these proposals, Wildwalk and the IMAX Theatre will cease to operate from April 2007. Both attractions are less popular with the public and expensive to operate.

The proposed changes will mean that the charity will need to restructure and reduce staffing levels by approximately 45 positions, and it is now entering into a period of consultation with all potentially affected members of staff."

|  IP: Logged

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2007 06:57 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What happens to these ex-IMAX venues? It is a big thing to just stop operating. The one we had next to us in the Trocadero was abandoned and is still there in some shape or form, guessing the projector was removed though.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2007 08:30 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting question Caleb. I guess they sit there empty until the cinema next door takes it over! I have heard that the Queensland IMAX is now are running 35mm, but it was part of a multiplex. I suspect some were converted to 8/70mm in a bid to cut costs.

I have visited your box when it was an MGM in 93, what happened to the old arthouse metro that was entered through a side lane downstairs? I liked the trocadero back then it had commercial multi, arthouse twin, and an Imax under one roof!

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2007 01:09 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Metro shut, couldn't afford to keep going. Real shame since they showed good stuff. It's still there just locked up. If only I had the money! Probably couldn't compete with UGC who owned the Trocadero multiplex and Haymarket and showed a lot of arthouse in both, still do as Cineworld.

The IMAX will go as part of the hotel development, as will the arcade.

I never worked in projection at the Trocadero, but the booth upstairs was rearranged in 2003, might have encroached on the IMAX site a little. Lost the DP75s from downstairs which is a shame, would you have been there to see 70mm interlock on Lethal Weapon 3? The company didn't want the cost and hassle of 70mm, shame really since no-one bothers in the West End anymore.

Sam King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2007 06:59 PM      Profile for Sam King   Email Sam King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
I never worked in projection at the Trocadero, but the booth upstairs was rearranged in 2003, might have encroached on the IMAX site a little. Lost the DP75s from downstairs which is a shame, would you have been there to see 70mm interlock on Lethal Weapon 3? The company didn't want the cost and hassle of 70mm, shame really since no-one bothers in the West End anymore.

A 70mm interlock, do my eyes decieve me? I must see pictures!

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2007 09:28 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Way before my time, I'm 21. Don't know if anyone would have pictures, I'll ask if I see the projectionists there. The 35/70mm interlock rollers are still in situ. I think the Lethal Weapon premiere and run was the only time 70mm was shown in the cinema. From what I understand whilst blow-up prints were active the MGM Trocadero didn't need the extra custom as all seven screens would sell out on the weekend.

I doubt the Trocadero IMAX would have got 5/70 prints, as it would have had to compete with Odeon, the Warner, the CIC/UCI Empire and Plaza, and MGM for a West End run of a 70mm print, which it would never have got against those companies. I don't know about the past but the current system is Odeon get first pick on films, vue and Cineworld share any remaining 'big' films and the Empire gets by somehow.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: