Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » IMAX HD 48 fps Any Information?

Author Topic: IMAX HD 48 fps Any Information?
Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2007 06:30 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After googleing like crazy, I can not find any real info on the 48 frame per sec version of IMAX. I have read many threads from the search function, but I am still curious to learn more. Perhaps a trip to Canada is the only way.

I was wondering if Momentum was the only feature released in the HD format?
How many Imax Cinemas have been set up for it ? or is it now only viable for Ridefilms?
Is it really like looking through a 6 story tall window? (as an Imax tech described it to me in 1997)
Does the film grain totally disapear when the film speed is increased to this speed?
Does it take on a video like look?
I have been curious about this for quite a while. I don't think this technology has got to Australia yet.

[ 01-02-2007, 05:47 AM: Message edited by: Cameron Glendinning ]

|  IP: Logged

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2007 01:02 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Futuroscope Park at Poitiers, France, used to have a 48fps installation. They advertise IMAX Dome, IMAX 3D and other special venue systems, maybe you can find more here:

Futuroscope: List of Attractions

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2007 02:27 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think the Futuroscope Park at Poitiers, France, used to have a 48fps installation. They advertise IMAX Dome, IMAX 3D and other special venue systems, maybe you can find more here:

I was there last year and they only have 24fps Imax, there was the 48fps 8/70 still in operation.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-09-2007 09:28 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the disney california ride is the only other HD48fps film

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2007 12:22 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thankyou all for the information

quote: Ben Wales
I was there last year and they only have 24fps Imax, there was the 48fps 8/70 still in operation.
What are your thoughts of the image created by 48fps 8/70? what style of production was it for?

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2007 03:16 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Sony/Loew's (now AMC, I guess) Lincoln Square multiplex, in Manhattan, has an IMAX theatre equipped for IMAX HD (at least as of 2001). The platter decks there were mind-blowingly huge and still put all other IMAX platter decks to shame.

That said, the only IMAX HD presentation I've actually seen is "Soarin' Over California" at Disney's California Adventure, and I have seen it many, many times. I think the apparent grain is indeed reduced; the image still looks like film, only smoother. However, there does seem to be a bit more jitter in the picture.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: