Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » IMAX MPX

Author Topic: IMAX MPX
Tim Asten
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2006 07:49 AM      Profile for Tim Asten   Email Tim Asten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was trying find more infomation on the MPX system.There is precious little information on the net.Imagine my suprise when the other day I turned on the Discovery channel to find a short documentary showing two IMAX techs building an MPX projector from scratch.Its on a series called'How Its Made'.Its only about 5 minutes long,but at least it shows roughly the difference between MPX and other IMAX machines.It shows the rolling loop rotor being assembled and slow motion shots of how the rolling loop works(one unit on top of the other for 3D).I am not an IMAX expert,but there seems to be couple of differences that I could see.First,there seem to be intermittant sprockets that form the loop before it enters the rotor.Second,the xenon lamps are tiny and enclosed in a module in which the tech just slid into a slot on the side.Perhaps IMAX experts could comment. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 11-11-2006 10:36 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Please read through the Imax Basics thread for info on the rolling loop, etc.

Tim Asten
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2006 11:32 AM      Profile for Tim Asten   Email Tim Asten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Adam,I looked through the IMAX basics thread as you say, but could not find much explaining the differences between the MPX system and regular IMAX.Perhaps you could explain. [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: