Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » Happy Feet to be in 2D

Author Topic: Happy Feet to be in 2D
Jason Setzer
Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2006 12:43 PM      Profile for Jason Setzer   Email Jason Setzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well for anyone who thought they were going to have a great Christmas holiday in IMAX due to Happy Feet needs to revert to plan B.

The really crappy part is that we had a happy feet 3d trailer in front of Ant Bully and Deep Sea 3d.I cannot imagine the hell we are going to go through with customers driving all the way to our theatre and realizing that the movie isn't in 3D.

Also don't forget the thousands of dollars each theatre is going to lose because of this.

Quoting movie web
http://www.movieweb.com/news/81/14481.php

Warner Bros. and IMAX are unable to get the Happy Feet IMAX 3D print ready in time for the November 17 release date.

The movie will be released in both conventional and IMAX theatres. A simultaneous release is more important to the two companies who have agreed to release the film in IMAX 2D so it can be ready by November 17.

IMAX Co-Chairmen and Co-CEOs Richard L. Gelfond said "Unfortunately, to release it (concurrently in Imax and conventional theaters) it had to be in 2D, and we're exploring a subsequent release in 3D ... We remain really excited about this movie."

A spokeswoman for Warner Bros. said time constraints didn't allow for a simultaneous release of the film in 2D and 3D, but noted that a 3D release of the film, about a tap-dancing penguin, was still in the cards at some point.

The animated film features the voices of Elijah Wood, Robin Williams, Brittany Murphy, Hugh Jackman, Nicole Kidman, Hugo Weaving, Anthony LaPaglia, Magda Szubanski, Miriam Mirgoyles.

[ 09-24-2006, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2006 05:59 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rumor has it that NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM might be a Christmas release with 3-D sections like Superman.

Jason Setzer
Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2006 06:23 PM      Profile for Jason Setzer   Email Jason Setzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really you are the second person I heard that from. I am sure the animals coming to life in the museum in 3D would look awesome

Jason Setzer
Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2006 05:29 PM      Profile for Jason Setzer   Email Jason Setzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I heard from someone today that went to the GSTA that Night AT THE MUSEUM will be in IMAX!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-25-2006 07:50 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After being somewhat underwhelmed by the results of what I saw with the 3D attempts on the video-based IMAX blowup of Superman Returns I'm surprised Hollywood is going back to the well once more on this concept.

Here's a clue to Hollywood: if you want parts of your movie or all of your movie to be in 3D at all MAKE IT SO IN PRODUCTION!!!!
[Mad]

Rig together two 35mm film cameras, or two video cameras or two IMAX cameras. Whatever! I don't care. Just do the damned job right from the ground up instead of this after-thought "digital" bullshit that just doesn't look convincing!

And if you shoot the movie in HD-video format on hard disc or video tape or whatever DON'T BOTHER BLOWING IT UP TO IMAX. That just looks like ass. Sorry, but that is absolutely true. It's blurry pictures by Louis Braille. Give it up. Actual 15/70 film analog photography still beats the shit out of all things digital in that arena. That fact is going to stay put for at least the next decade until something like 32K digital intermediates become a pretty standard thing.

Jason Setzer
Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2006 10:26 PM      Profile for Jason Setzer   Email Jason Setzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby IMAX will be retrofitting all IMAX theatres by 2009 (supposedly) to be digital

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2006 03:06 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason

Rich Gelfond, joint IMAX CEO, said at the GSCA conference that IMAX would begin rollout of digital systems by 2008.He did not say all theatres would be converted by 2009

They were aiming to put in place a programme to help existing IMAX 1570 theatres convert to digital by offsetting costs against savings in print costs. Not sure how this would work with film titles from independent distributors.

Also said that they would be "upgrading" with a system set for 1.78:1 aspect ratio as used in MPX theatres.

The Happy Feet news has been out for over 2 weeks . Check out www.1570.com

The trailer for A Night At The Museum was shown (2D) in IMAx at GSCA and looked pretty good. The official announcement was being delayed until all details were ironed out.

The partial 3D was discussed amongst delegates but,to my knowledge,was not confirmed by anyone from IMAx or Fox

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 09-26-2006 10:45 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woah, what the hell does that mean?? No more IMAX film either? What will IMAX mean if they're showing stuff digitally? How will the IMAX-converted-to-digital-auditorium differ from the 35mm-converted-to-digital-auditorium next to it? Please tell me that I'm misunderstanding what's going on here.

By the way, ditto 110% to what Bobby said. Shoot it in 3D, or don't show it in 3D. To make the 2D movie look convincing in 3D takes much more work than just shooting it that way to begin with. Why make things harder on yourselves, Hollywood?

I still say get James Cameron to do the last Harry Potter movie.

Back on topic, that's a bummer about Happy Feet. It looks like it'll be a fun movie, and I was looking forward to seeing it in 3D. Oh, well. I'll still watch it in 2D, and I'm still looking forward to it.

Jason Setzer
Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2006 09:21 PM      Profile for Jason Setzer   Email Jason Setzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dick,

As for Happy Feet you are correct about it being old news, but simply no one posted it so I said what the heck.

My info on digital was partially from the GSTA and partially from other sources. If I stand wrong then I do apologize.

As for Museum I think itsa good move for IMAX and will put more pressure on WB for not doing what they promised.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: