Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » Sony to release Open Season in IMAX 3D

Author Topic: Sony to release Open Season in IMAX 3D
Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2006 07:19 PM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
press release

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 03-09-2006 02:39 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After you've read the rules and FAQ, please edit your post to comply with rule #4.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2006 06:56 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There must be a steady supply of product for the new round of IMAX theatres to succeed.

The local AMC monster-plex (Easton 30) has dedicated one of its 4 largest screens to the Imax system. They still have 35mm capability in there, but they are still running HARRY POTTER exclusively even after its gone to the sub-run theatres. I just can't imagine its doing much business there at all. (They have chosen not to run the Deep Sea 3-D film.)

I think they are going to need 10-12 releases per year to sustain any momentum. They need about 1 picture a month, with as much as possible in 3-D.

Wonder when we'll see the first live action Imax or digital 3-D?

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2006 06:59 AM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried posting the entire press release, but was unable to. It came up with a message that the press release contained wording that had caused problems on Film-Tech in the past. That's why I posted a link to the press release. Note: It's a pr, not a copyrighted article.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-09-2006 11:01 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sony Pictures Animation's Open Season to be simultaneously released as IMAX(R) 3D film in September
Wednesday March 8, 5:18 pm ET
IMAX Adds Sixth Day-and-Date Hollywood Release to 2006 Film Slate

LOS ANGELES, March 8 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ - IMAX Corporation and Sony Pictures Entertainment today announced that Sony Pictures Animation's first CG project Open Season, an animated feature from directors Roger Allers, the acclaimed director of The Lion King, Jill Culton, whose credits include Toy Story 2 and Monsters Inc., and co-director Anthony Stacchi (credits include ANTZ) will be released in IMAX® 3D simultaneously with the motion picture's premiere in conventional theatres on September 29, 2006. The motion picture will be digitally converted into IMAX 3D and re-mastered into the unparalleled image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience® through IMAX DMR® (Digital Re-mastering) technology. Sony Pictures Releasing will be the exclusive distributor of the motion picture to IMAX® theatres worldwide.

Open Season stars the vocal talents of Martin Lawrence, Ashton Kutcher, Debra Messing and Gary Sinise.

IMAX's 2006 film slate now includes six new digitally re-mastered Hollywood films scheduled to be released day-and-date to IMAX theatres, and one original IMAX 3D film, Deep Sea 3D, which opened last weekend. Open Season brings the total number of new IMAX 3D releases for the year to four. The deal marks the second IMAX DMR release for Sony Pictures Entertainment, following the studio's 2004 release of Spider-Man® 2: The IMAX Experience.

"The amazing immersive quality of IMAX 3D will give moviegoers an opportunity to experience the first full-length animated motion picture from Sony Pictures Animation in a very special way," said Rory Bruer, President of Domestic Distribution Releasing. "This is a format that has proven especially successful with family features, and the IMAX theatre network helps generate incremental revenue for event titles such as Open Season. We are pleased to be an important part of IMAX's 2006 lineup."

"We are excited to expand our partnership with Sony Pictures to bring Open Season to IMAX theatres in September," said IMAX Co-Chairmen and Co-CEOs Richard L. Gelfond and Bradley J. Wechsler. "Sony Pictures has always produced incredible films, and as the studio invests in the animation business, the addition of Open Season to our strong 2006 film slate will enable IMAX theatre operators to attract moviegoers of all ages through the fall season."

"We began a successful working relationship with Sony Pictures several years ago with Spider-Man® 2, and we are delighted to work with them again," said Greg Foster, Chairman and President of IMAX Filmed Entertainment. "The popularity of IMAX 3D has never been stronger and we are thrilled to offer moviegoers Open Season as the fourth IMAX 3D title for 2006."

In Columbia Pictures' new action-adventure comedy Open Season, the first feature-length animated motion picture from Sony Pictures Animation, Boog (Martin Lawrence), a grizzly bear with no survival skills, has his perfect world in the tranquil town of Timberline turned upside-down when he meets Elliot (Ashton Kutcher), a scrawny, fast-talking wild mule deer. Elliot arrives in Timberline, missing an antler, and strapped to the hood of a truck, courtesy of the paranoid uber hunter Shaw (Gary Sinise). Against his better judgment, Boog frees Elliot. Elliot attempts to return the favor by "freeing" Boog from his idyllic existence with his beloved Park Ranger Beth (Debra Messing), who raised him since he was a cub. Things quickly spiral out of control. The two troublemakers are relocated together to the wild...just three days before open season! With hunting season upon them and Shaw in hot pursuit, Boog and Elliot must learn to work together and unite the woodland creatures. In a rowdy, madcap battle, they make the woods safe once and for all by turning the hunters into the hunted.

[ 03-09-2006, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 03-09-2006 06:39 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Lensenmayer
... still running HARRY POTTER exclusively even after its gone to the sub-run theatres. I just can't imagine its doing much business there at all. (They have chosen not to run the Deep Sea 3-D film.)
Not to mention its release on DVD already! We were still running Harry Potter up until March 2nd, for two shows a day, and each show got 5-10 tickets. We only had ONE no-show it its entire run. No other DMR did that well for us THAT long after opening. As for Deep Sea, only a limited number of prints were even made, so very few venues in general (to my understanding) got to launch that one. We were one of the lucky ones.

It's cool to see we've got a September release slated now, though. We've got a good, solid schedule through the new year. And it's GREAT to see Sony take another stab at it. Sure, we love Warner Bros. to death, but I've been baffled as to why the other studios haven't caught on. I mean, if Warner Bros. KEEPS doing these DMR's, there's got to be something to be gained, right? This will be Sony's second attempt. 20th Century has only had one attempt, as well, with Robots last year. Every other DMR titls has been WB.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 03-10-2006 10:38 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about Apollo 13, and Attack of the Clones?

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2006 02:57 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney was in on the beginning of the feature length IMAX craze ... Fantasia/2000, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King ... but they have since abandoned ship.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 03-11-2006 06:30 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I forgot about those EARLY attempts at DMR (Apollo 13 and Star Wars). I think I discounted them because they were edited down versions, and the DMR technology was still being developed ... and the fact that I never ran them. [Wink]

As for Disney, I don't remember if they claimed to have used DMR specifically on those transfers or not (most of which also had 8/70 versions in circulation). Fantasia 2000 wasn't, because that wasn't a transfer. That film was produced from the start to be an IMAX presentation. And it looked great because of it. I actually loved F2K (well, to the degree that anyone can love a film one is forced to watch three times a day, months on end). It did look promising for a little bit, that Disney would take the lead, bringing feature-length shows to IMAX. But, yeah, it quickly appeared that they lost interest. If I were to speculate, I'd say that pulling Aladdin (because of cultural sensitivity timed with world events) and a BADLY-received live-action train-wreck of a film called Disney's Young Black Stallion were key contributors to them jumping out of the driver's seat of the bandwagon. (Sorry for the mixed metaphor.)

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2006 04:54 AM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I wasn't sure if they were considered DMR or not ... which is why I just said "feature length" ... but it's too bad... we were super busy with F2K ... I was at an 8/70 house for the next two, so I can't compare to the business at an IMAX theatre... but it was utilizing our screen, which otherwise was just playing some current 35mm film.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: