Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » Denon DN-970FA Interface Question

Author Topic: Denon DN-970FA Interface Question
David Alter
Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2006 01:20 PM      Profile for David Alter   Email David Alter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are having intermittent synchronization issues with our old DDP system in our theater and I was wondering if any of you know how the Denon DN-970FA CD Cart Players syncronize to the timecode generator...

There are 2 cables for each player:
Remote #1 - 25 pin Sub-D connector which appears to control transport (play, pause, seek...)

Remote #2 - 9 pin Sub-D connector which appears to be some sort of serial signal connection (possibly SMPTE)

If anyone happens to have a manual for the DN-970FA player or the Sonics Timecode Generator or more knowlege about this system, I would greatly appreciate it.

THANKS! [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2006 11:36 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may sound obvious but why not contact your IMAX service guy [Confused]

David Alter
Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2006 01:53 AM      Profile for David Alter   Email David Alter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have contacted IMAX about this problem many times. The folks and Sonics/IMAX keep sending us very old, refurbed CD players and we continue to have problems. In fact, one unit they sent us was missing the front face plate and was also DOA.

On top of this, the shows we ran all season and post-season didn't come with 35mm dubber films, so we had no backup audio source. Without a backup, we've had to cancel numerous shows in the middle of playback and file out over 700 people on busy days.

With just some basic information about the way the system communicates with the players, I can determine where the problem is and possibly throw in a unit to chase the SMPTE timecode as a backup source until we resolve the issue.

Just thought someone might have an old manual sitting around...

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2006 10:19 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you convince IMAX to pay for 35mm mag soundtracks until you or they fix the problem? Or purchase them yourself? I would think the 35mm mag backup would pay for itself rather quickly in elimination of lost shows. Another option is upgrading to the AE-1 or similar.

I think those players are no longer made, so all you will see are refurbished ones.

Are you receiving good timecode from the projector?

Have you checked for any frayed or nicked wiring in the back of the DDP, especially near the rear door latches?

You might have better success asking at 1570.com.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-18-2006 09:54 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
normally the rental agreement usually includes one soundtrack only we always just pay anyway for a mag as a backup

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: