Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » Star Cinema in Fitchburg, WI Opens IMAX Screen on December 23rd

Author Topic: Star Cinema in Fitchburg, WI Opens IMAX Screen on December 23rd
Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2005 08:48 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wisconsin finally gets its first (real) IMAX screen!

http://www.bigscreen.com/News_Events/20051222_StarCinemaIMAX.php

quote:
December 5, 2005

STAR CINEMA IMAX TO OFFER MADISON AUDIENCES TWO CHOICES FOR ADVENTURE
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: The IMAX Experience and Space Station: 3D will be the first feature films shown at the Star Cinema IMAX in Madison!

Madison, WI - Moviegoers will have the opportunity to take a 3D journey through space to visit the world's first space station with Space Station (IMAX 3D) and further immerse themselves in the adventure of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: The IMAX Experience when both films open at the Star Cinema IMAX during the last week of December. Construction at the Star Cinema in Fitchburg includes the addition of an IMAX theatre and three additional stadium-style seating auditoriums. After completion of the addition, the theatre will feature 18 screens for moviegoers. Grand opening of the addition is slotted for the last week of December 2005. [Ed. Note: Grand Opening is now scheduled for 12/23/2005]

Space Station: 3D is the first-ever 3D IMAX space film. Audiences will travel 220 miles above the Earth at 17,500 mph to experience Space Station: 3D - the greatest engineering feat since landing a man on the moon.

The movie tells the story of the unique partnership of 16 nations building a laboratory in outer space -- a permanent facility for the study of the effects of long-duration exposure to zero gravity and the necessary first step towards the global co-operative effort needed if man is to someday set foot on Mars. It is a story of challenges, setbacks and triumphs…and ultimately, the shared international victory of men and women whose dreams exceed the limits of life on this Earth.

Space Station: 3D is the first cinematic journey to the International Space Station (ISS), where audiences can experience for themselves life in zero gravity aboard the new station. Transported by the magic of the IMAX® 3D technology, the audience blasts off into space with the astronauts and cosmonauts from Florida's Kennedy Space Center and Russia's Baikonur Cosmodrome to rendezvous with their new home in orbit 220 miles above Earth. Now people of every age and language can work side by side with their space-walking crewmates, building and inhabiting this unprecedented structure in space.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is the fourth installment in the beloved Harry Potter franchise, and the second to be digitally re-mastered into The IMAX Experience, following the successful June 2004 release of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: The IMAX Experience. The larger film frame, combined with the IMAX projection technology and remarkable sound system, will provide Star Cinema IMAX moviegoers with an immersive, extraordinary cinematic experience.

"Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is a film rich in scope and detail, all of which will be well served by the scope of IMAX," says David Heyman, producer of the Harry Potter film series. "I have loved the immersive IMAX experience ever since I first saw Fires Of Kuwait over ten years ago, so it is a thrill for me to have Harry Potter shown in this exciting format."

"We are very excited to bring the suspense, humor, action and drama of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire to life on the giant IMAX screen," director Mike Newell says. "The breathtaking IMAX format brings a whole new perspective to this marvelous story."

About Star Cinema
Star Cinema began serving the Madison area in December 1999 and since has been voted "Favorite Movie Theatre" every year by area moviegoers. Star Cinema is known for its three-lane canopy protecting guests from inclement weather; large tastefully decorated lobby area; stadium-style seating; high-back rocking love seats; wall-to-wall curved screens; and digital sound throughout.

Founded in 1982, AGT Enterprises, Inc. of Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, owns and operates 95 screens at nine locations in Wisconsin and Iowa.

More information on Star Cinema can be found at: www.starcinema.com.

About IMAX Corporation
Founded in 1967, IMAX Corporation is the newest distribution platform for Hollywood content and one of the world's leading entertainment technology companies. IMAX delivers the world's best cinematic presentations using proprietary IMAX, IMAX 3D, and IMAX DMR® technology. IMAX DMR (Digital Re-mastering) makes it possible for virtually any 35mm film to be transformed into the unparalleled image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience®. The IMAX brand is recognized throughout the world for extraordinary and immersive entertainment experiences. As of June 30, 2005, there were 259 IMAX theatres operating in more than 36 countries.

IMAX®, IMAX® 3D, IMAX DMR® and The IMAX Experience® are trademarks of IMAX Corporation. More information on the Company can be found at www.imax.com.

Source: Star Cinema Press Release

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-23-2005 01:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats great and Star is run by excellent people.... funny about this as I had nmentioned to both Bills about 12 years ago to put an Imax at Baraboo.... I wasn't too far off on that I guess, only about 50 miles.

I hope it flies well for them!

Mark

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2005 11:49 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After the Desert Star Lake Delton location opened, the manager there told me that they had room for expansion towards the resort, and he did mention the possibility of an IMAX screen.

Of course, that was way before the advent of all the DMR releases, so it was more of a far-flung thought than anything, but now it would seem very possible. I don't know if the Kalahari has intruded on that space or not, it has been a while since I was near the theater doing less than 70. The ceiling in that place is way-cool, though!

I'm hoping to head out to the Fitchburg location in the next week or so. If I can snap any photos, I'll be sure to share them.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: