Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » IMAX at the Palisades Mall, West Nyack, NY

Author Topic: IMAX at the Palisades Mall, West Nyack, NY
Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2005 10:10 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Friday evening 12/2/2005, I took my girlfriend to see Polar Express in 3D at the IMAX theatre in the Palisades Mall in West Nyack, NY. The experience does not make me want to go back.

We arrived at the boxoffice around 6:30pm to buy the tickets for the 7:50pm showing, and were sold 2 pre-printed tickets that were several days old. Is that normal procedure at IMAX, or were they reselling unclaimed internet advanced sales and pocketing the profit?

We then wandered around the mall and had supper, arriving back at the theatre 10 minutes before show time.

I don’t know what is wrong, but the theatre looked seedy. It wasn’t dirty, maybe it was the lighting, or all the old standees leaning haphazardly against the walls, but the lobby looked kind of shabby and cold.

The ticket taker took our out of date tickets without question, as the person who sold them to me promised they would. The women giving out the 3D glasses gave us 3 pairs, and then came running to the auditorium to get the extra pair back. Good thing it was not crowded, she was doing that all night.

The 3D glasses were filthy, with smudges and finger prints all over the lenses.

Ok, it’s show time. The sound was great, unfortunately I can not say the same about the picture. There was horrible ghosting of the left eye picture in the right eye. It became headache inducing by the end of the film. I originally thought something was wrong with my glasses, but my girlfriend and some other friends who were there that night had the same problem. Could someone tell me if this was a problem with Polar Express, or with the theatre? At the moment, I don’t ever plan on going back. I went home and hugged my BenQ DLP projector.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2005 10:16 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps the left projector filter was misaligned? I saw it at Universal Citywalk this weekend and the presentation was just about perfect.

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2005 12:09 PM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Palisades theater is owned and operated by IMAX. It's been a few years since I was last there, but it used to be one of the better run operations - clean and efficiently operated.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2005 02:47 PM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One possible cause for the ghosting is deteriation of one of the polarisers in the projector not necessarily mis alignment.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2005 08:32 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever the cause, they took my money for a show they could not deliver properly. It is unlikely that I will ever go back there.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: