Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » New IMAX theatre in Los Angeles

Author Topic: New IMAX theatre in Los Angeles
Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 11-17-2005 04:01 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles is undergoing a major renovation and expansion and is nearing completion. It is a really cool project that includes the Leonard Nimoy Event Horizon IMAX theatre.

For those interested:

Construction Photos

Observatory Main Page

Renovation Main Page

|  IP: Logged

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2005 10:45 AM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Leonard Nimoy Event Horizon Theater is a lecture hall, not an IMAX theater. However, I have heard rumors that it may include a Simex-Iwerks 8/70 projection system.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 11-17-2005 05:12 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I stand corrected. The original plans called for the IMAX theatre according to the original spec and blueprints. But upon talking to consortium today, I found out that at this point there will be NO film theatre.

(Of course, like all political crap, I'll believe it when I see it...or don't see it!) HA!

[ 11-18-2005, 07:06 AM: Message edited by: Phil Hill ]

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2006 12:44 AM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, but I was driving south on the 101 from San Jose to San Diego earlier this week, and as I was driving through the LA area, distictly saw a blue IMAX Theatre sign on a building on the west side. Unfortunately, I had to focus on traffic too closely to get a sharp gander, but anybody know what's up there?

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2006 11:13 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would not consider the Griffith Observatory as being located on the West Side. Was it The Bridge that you drove past?

This on the 405, though, not the 101. But then, one cannot take the 101 all the way from San Jose to San Diego. Do you remember your exact route? Did you drive past LAX? Do you remember getting a glimpse of a place called The Promenade at Howard Hughes Center?

Jeff Arellano
Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2006 06:17 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only IMAX location located closely to the 101 is the one in Universal City, but you cannot see it from the 101.

The one you saw must be the Bridge off the 405.

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2006 09:08 PM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! Then I wasn't seeing things. I'll have to drive up and try it out sometime soon.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: