Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » AMC Imax in Columbus (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: AMC Imax in Columbus
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2005 06:58 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it came as a big surprise to me!

Looks like AMC is putting an Imax into their 30-Plex at the huge Easton shopping complex in Columbus, OH. Today's AMC ad in the local paper is the first thing I've heard about it.

AMC announced in May that they were installing Imax in 5 locations: Kansas City, Detroit, Phoenix, Oklahoma City and Omaha. No mention of Easton anywhere on Google.

I'm interested in seeing how they put that in. It's possible that the Imax screen may not be the biggest screen in the complex, as the big rooms approach 60' screens out there, and some of the newer Imax rooms come in the 50' range.

Anyway, I'll check it out next Friday, August 26th, when it opens. I'll be at the first show, probably.

I sure hope they don't use that reserved seating nonsense like the Showcase in Cincinnati!

|  IP: Logged

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2005 08:00 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who helped get the equipment up in the Easton booth and he said they are just reconfiguring one on the large auditoriums for IMAX. Basically a new screen, the IMAX projection equipment, and they took some seats out. Does that sound right? I don't really know much about IMAX.

He did confirm that it will be the "smaller" version of IMAX.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2005 01:04 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Lensenmayer
AMC announced in May that they were installing Imax in 5 locations: Kansas City, Detroit, Phoenix, Oklahoma City and Omaha. No mention of Easton anywhere on Google.
A few weeks ago I was informed by AMC that plans had been scrapped for the Oklahoma City location, but that "other sites would soon be announced." Well, obviously, AMC Easton Town Centre 30 in Columbus was among the other venues under consideration. (Of course, the Columbus location, as mentioned above, and the other AMC locations, are all retrofits of existing auditoriums rather than new constructions...) I don't know when Omaha opens, though it should be soon.

Anyway, looks like "Batman Begins" and "Charlie And The Chocolate Factory" are scheduled to be the debut features (staggered showtimes) with the NASCAR film being a possibility in the not-too-distant future.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2005 02:34 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael Coate said:
quote: Michael Coate
Anyway, looks like "Batman Begins" and "Charlie And The Chocolate Factory" are scheduled to be the debut features (staggered showtimes) with the NASCAR film being a possibility in the not-too-distant future.

I would have assumed that...I've seen both, so it will be interesting to compare. There was that nagging little sound wobble in Cincinnati.

The Nascar film has already played in Columbus, at the former Marcus installation. I would assume that the Moon film with Tom Hanks involvement will show up in September.

Nice to have Imax again. That Cincinnati theatre was not one of my favorites!

Are most of these new mini-Max theatres running DTS sound?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-19-2005 04:57 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is an official Imax theatre they will use a Sonics system and they don't use DTS so far

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2005 05:00 PM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An official announcement on the Easton IMAX is scheduled for Monday.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2005 09:03 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They sure didn't wait for the official announcement to promote the theatre. In Friday's (8/19/05) Columbus Dispatch, they have a 4x4.5" box at the top of the AMC display ad
quote:
Starting August 26! Introducing the IMAX Experience at AMC Easton 30!
I would expect some editorial coverage on it this week.

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2005 09:52 AM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We verified the theater with AMC's head of corporate communications. The official PR should be going out on Monday.

www.worldenteractive.com/amccolumbus.htm

[ 08-22-2005, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: Joseph L. Kleiman ]

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2005 02:34 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

That should be 2004 for the Marcus GT installation.

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2005 12:34 AM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

Good catch. Unfortunately, I'm in SF this weekend (went to the Balboa and saw all four films today)and I can't access our ftp. It'll be fixed tomorrow evening.

Thanks,

Joe

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2005 09:18 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That may be worth the 2-1/2 hour drive to Columbus. However my sister-in-law lives there and we always spend 4-5 days there at Christmas. She has four boys and her other sister has 2 kids. My wife and I usually need a break from all the screaming at some point (we don't have kids). Maybe I could make a trip to Easton then to see that Imax.

That theater is so weird. It is broken up all over the building and you cannot tell where the lobby ends and the stores begin. They are all sort of intermingled. They also have the Mutt Cuts van from Dumb and Dumber there. That was pretty cool! [thumbsup]

Went to Cedar Point last weekend and really missed the usual trip to the Imax there. I wish they would not have taken it out. It was pretty impressive. I remember seeing the Space Shuttle film there when I was a kid. [Frown]

Robert Stawiarski
Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2005 10:21 PM      Profile for Robert Stawiarski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With over 950 seats, Cedar Point had one of the largest IMAX auditoriums in the world.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2005 11:37 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cedar Point had Imax projector #3. They ran MAN BELONGS TO THE EARTH for 2 seasons on 2 prints in the early years. I was there the opening weekend. THAT was impressive.

Easton AMC is not as confusing as before. When Easton was built, there was a Planet Hollywood in the center of the "Train Station" (Looks like an aircraft hangar to me!) along with an All-Star Cafe. Those were on the main floor, with the escalator going up to the theatre level. The restaurants are now gone, as is the memorabilia. So, getting to the theatre is much easier and less confusing.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2005 07:02 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started a thread before about the Cedar Point Imax and someone said they thought it was projector serial #1. It was always a nice break to get out of the sun and into the air conditioning and watch a great film while at Cedar Point.

Like I said on the other thread, I applied for the projectionist job there two years running but never so much as even got a call back. My buddy who is also a projectionist in Sandusky was offered the job back in the early 90's when he was in college but couldn't because his classes ran too late into May. He couldn't make it there in time to be trained by Imax.

Glad to hear they cleaned up that Easton area a little. It was definitely confusing. The box office was out in the middle of the mall if I remember correctly. What happened to the Planet Hollywood? Are they all going under? I was in Chicago again last fall and the one there was gone.

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2005 09:02 AM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
#1 Toronto Cinesphere 5/71
#2 San Diego Ruben H. Fleet 1973
#3 Haines City Circus World 2/74
#4 Sandusky Cedar Point 1975
#5 Philadelphia Living History Center 5/76
#6 D.C. NASM (replaced by SR) 7/76

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: