Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » Sony Laser screen at EXPO Japan (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Sony Laser screen at EXPO Japan
Kevin Baglow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2005 12:42 AM      Profile for Kevin Baglow   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Baglow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw the 20 minute demo show on the 150 ft laser screen at Expo. There is a sometimes noticable join in the 3 projectors image. The colours are more vivid than Imax. Imax is much bigger looking, as it is about 5 times higher to the same width of the SONY DREAM THEATER. Im Here makeing a freelance doco on EXPO with the new sony HD camcorder.

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2005 04:50 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Digital projection, I take it?

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 06-10-2005 06:54 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sony is workng on a GLV laser system, which the EXPO Japan exhibit is based, and the 4 K SXRD projection system for "normal" cinemas. Blending programs are available from several manufacturers to parcel out the image to several projectors to increase resolution and brightness.....Sony cinema and Sony Xmax like special venue [Big Grin]

Mattias Ohlson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2005 04:42 PM      Profile for Mattias Ohlson   Email Mattias Ohlson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was there any information given on the brightness of the projected image, total lumens? Also did they use 3 projectors?
Did any scene give any clue of the black level of the system?

I am pretty sure that Sony will eventually replace xenons in the 4k sxrd projectors for lasers. That is possibly the only move that will kick up the lumens to dlp cinema levels.

Kevin Baglow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2005 12:38 AM      Profile for Kevin Baglow   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Baglow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am at the Expo Media centre now. Just called to the sony SONY DREAM THEATER for a technical rundown. Unfortunately they didnt volunteer any. Might be secret [Mad]

Mattias Ohlson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2005 04:47 AM      Profile for Mattias Ohlson   Email Mattias Ohlson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are your impressions of
1 brightness
2 "black"
The color was good so that I know.

I guess the presentation would be more impressive if they had originated the source material on film. None of the cameras used are state of the art.

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2005 08:29 AM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mattias,

Hopefully, this might help answer your questions.

http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/cx_news/vol40/pdf/sideview40.pdf

Best,

Joseph L. Kleiman
World Enteractive
www.worldenteractive.com/clarity.htm

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2005 12:05 PM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This appears to be the technology developed by Silicon Light Machines, for which Sony has an exclusive license. I wonder why Sony is even bothering to develop SXRD when they have this?

Also, I found this interesting tidbit in the PDF Joseph linked to:
quote:
...we take the Expo as “Year zero” of the project to bring the GxL system imaging into the home.
So ... when can I get one? [Big Grin]

Mattias Ohlson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2005 03:21 PM      Profile for Mattias Ohlson   Email Mattias Ohlson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Joseph
It was interesting reading but lacking in facts. It told us it was a pain in the xxx to develop the lasers. Self inflicted since they had to do it themselves for Sony pride at the Expo.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-24-2005 04:07 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder where these projects stand after Sony's recent announcement: [Confused]

Reuters Article about Sony, June 23

quote:
Sony will narrow the focus of its research and development to only promising areas such as next-generation video equipment, mobile phones and flat-panel TVs, the company's new president said on Thursday.

Offering a glimpse of where new management is looking to lead the struggling electronics maker, Ryoji Chubachi also said Sony would continue restructuring its sprawling operations while cultivating new businesses to drive earnings growth.

"While we have not made this public, internally we have been looking at several areas within our R&D from which we could potentially withdraw," Chubachi told a news conference, flanked on his right by Howard Stringer, the newly appointed CEO.

"I can't give details right now on what those areas will be, but I will (in the future) make it clear exactly what we will and will not do," he added, referring to Sony's R&D spending, which is expected to total about $4.8 billion (520 billion yen) this business year.

Chubachi and Stringer were overwhelmingly approved by shareholders on Wednesday. They replace Nobuyuki Idei and Kunitake Ando, who resigned from top management to take responsibility for the company's slumping earnings.

The new management team had told shareholders Wednesday that they would unveil a new strategy in late September to reallocate resources, suggesting they would look to narrow its product lineup or withdraw from struggling businesses.

They did not unveil specifics of that strategy, which has been internally dubbed "Project Nippon."

Welsh-born Stringer said he would use his skills as a communicator to help break down the "silo walls" that have been erected between different divisions of Sony, hampering collaboration and leading to missed opportunities in the market.

"We have to become one highly focused organization," Stringer said. "We have to talk to each other and we will re-evaluate R&D, rationalize product development, ensuring that the lineup is coherent and focused strategically."

Smiling often, Stringer tried to impress to the media that his first priority would not be to cut more jobs. He acknowledged on Wednesday that it would be difficult to "use an ax" in Japan.

"Cost cutting and axes are not solutions to all problems," Stringer said.

Some newspapers have been referring to him as a "cost cutter" while comparing him to Carlos Ghosn, another rare foreigner at the top of a Japanese company who saved Nissan Motor from near bankruptcy by squeezing suppliers and cutting staff.

In his former post as head of Sony's U.S. operations, Stringer oversaw "Project USA," which eliminated 9,000 jobs and achieved annual cost savings of $700 million.

Previous Next Under the current restructuring plan, called "Transformation 60," Sony has already slashed about 20,000 jobs, most of those in its loss-making electronics division. TR 60 is a three-year plan that runs through March 2006.

"We are extending Transformation 60. It was incomplete. It was a very good start, but we are examining different priorities for improving the performance of Sony," Stringer said.

Shares of Sony closed down 0.26 percent at 3,880 yen, underperforming the Nikkei average, which gained 0.26 percent on the day.

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2005 08:06 PM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,

What was the seating like and what was the throw from the projectors to the screen? I've seen a concept painting of the theater and it had stadium seating. This leads me to believe that SONY might be using it as a digital solution for large format presentation. The screen is 32' x 164'. The IMAX in Sydney has a 97' x 117' screen. You could conceivably tile three of these systems and fill the Sydney screen.

I spoke briefly with Walt Ordway, the CTO of DCI, at LFCA (sorry for all the acronyms). He pointed out that a 2K projector can do a decent job of illuminating a large format screen, but the problem is filling the entire screen at such a short throw. He recommended tiling - a top-bottom tile of 2K projectors would produce a 4K equivalent image. Splitting the image into quadrants would produce something closer to 8K.

SONY, whose digital cinema products fall under their presentation projectors division, has been trying to get into the digital cinema market as quickly as possible to compete against TI. I'm sure Mark Cuban got a fairly good deal, but the SXRD has not been field tested on a regular basis in a theatrical environment, and the 4K projectors have had a number of issues. This system might be an alternate solution.

Even when digital cinema arrives on a large scale, most filmmakers I've spoken with believe that audiences will still want to view the film on the largest screens available (as is the case with IMAX DMR). It makes perfect sense for SONY to offer a large format digital solution before TI, either by themselves or partnering with another company. With at least 1000 digital systems planned to be installed domestically by next year, I suspect that by Summer, 2007, when Cameron's first feature since "Titanic" and "Star Wars: Ep. I" are both released in 3D, someone might have a prototype large format digital 3D system in place for public exhibition.

Mattias Ohlson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2005 04:09 AM      Profile for Mattias Ohlson   Email Mattias Ohlson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are large format suitable big screens such as with IMAX and big screens in general really bringing in a large part of the income?
Do not most people watch movies locally on medium sized screens?

One advantage with the GLV projection technology is that it can project on any shaped surface, flat, curved or dome. Remember lasers stay very focused and that makes it easier to project on curved surfaces.

Kevin Baglow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2005 05:56 AM      Profile for Kevin Baglow   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Baglow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At Sony's DREAM THEATRE in Aichi Japan. The projectors are set back 20 or so ft from the back of the Seating area. The Blacks are black, and brightness is perfect. To Get the IMAX impact, another nine projectors (Total 3 ross of 3) might do it. I can understand that this would be very expensive. But there has to be a reason to leave ones home cinema.

Mattias Ohlson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2005 07:13 AM      Profile for Mattias Ohlson   Email Mattias Ohlson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin B.
In Sony´s implementation the vertical resolution is 1080 lines with each line consisting of 1920 "pixels". With three GxL-systems blended you get the aspect ratio used in Aichi.

On the other hand E&S has implemented the same technology, glv, for plantariums. They use a device with 4000 lines vertically.

Single projector in centre of dome
fish eye lens and 4000x4000 pixels

dual projector setup
special lenses and a maximum resolution of 8000x8000 pixels

In the seconde case they must combine the vertical resolution of the two projectors. Reaching the 8000 across is just a matter how you program what is to be pixels across.

Projecting on a big screen is not a problem aspect ratio wise. The problem is to pump up the lasers to provide enough brightness on screen.

[ 06-25-2005, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: Mattias Ohlson ]

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2005 11:05 AM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The benefit of a large format operation is primarily to the equipment manufacturer and the exhibitor. An IMAX MPX system is a highly profitable venture for IMAX, bringing in $1.5 million per system. On a 2D presentation, DMR films average around 3 times per screen in box than their 35mm and digital counterparts. For the exhibitors, however, the revenue is considered incremental - 2D DMR productions bring in 3 to 4 percent of overall revenue to a film. 3D is another matter altogether, as shown by Polar Express, but with 2K digital able to project over 96fps through a single lens and server, once digital has a larger footprint, it's not certain how that will affect LF's overall contribution to box for a 3D feature. With 2K tiling, and a dual stream server, the bandwidth is sufficient enough to project 3D without having to synch up additional projectors to provide separate left/right images. Bandwidth is the main problem with 4K 3D single lens projection, however that issue is expected to be resolved in the next five years. I'm not sure about the new system, but Walt did mention that laser projection might be the best overall solution for filling a LF screen with a digital image. Ironically, the LF industry was created as a solution to multiprojection systems, and now it looks as if the immediate digital solution to replacing LF film may be made by taking a step backwards.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: