Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » What projector is that? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What projector is that?
Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2004 08:42 PM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was talking to my tech today and he was telling me about a museum in the area that switched from an Imax projector to a different projector that can run Imax film. I always thought that Imax film could only be run on an Imax licensed projector but maybe I'm wrong. Any help?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-29-2004 09:08 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes there is. They are made by Cinema Development Co. They were originally sold by Iwerks Entertainment. They are generally very good systems... Clones of the original Imax projector and platter system. There are 2D, 3D and dome 15/70 systems in operation in the U.S. and Greece. There are photos of the Thanksgiving Point installation which I assisted on at this link.
http://www.film-tech.com/pics/1570/1570.html

Mark

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2004 10:39 PM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Mark!

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-01-2004 10:08 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
The only non-Imax LF theater in your area that has changed systems is the Hastings Museum in Hastings, Nebraska. It switched from a 15/70 Imax projector to an 8/70 Megasystems projector in February 2002. This does not run the same format of film.

There is a dome theater in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, but it has an 8/70 Iwerks system and has never been changed out.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-02-2004 04:46 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam,

FYI all the 15/70 Iwerks systems are now maintained and supported by CDC service contracts and personel. Also, the Omnimax System in Lubbock Texas was replaced by a CDC 15/70 system last year when Imax's contract expired. Another CDC Dome system was also installed in Greece shortly after the Lehi installation was completed. I think in all there are now 9 of the CDC systems in operation with 2D, 3D amd dome systems.

Mark

Adam Martin

- posted 12-02-2004 06:54 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
That's all fine and dandy, but Lubbock, Lehi, and Greece are nowhere near Sioux City, Iowa.

Lubbock is the only theater to be converted from an Imax system to another 15/70 system. All the other conversions away from Imax went to 8/70 systems (and some have even been converted back to Imax 15/70 later).

In the US, there are currently 131 15/70 theaters operating or being built. 125 are Imax, three are CDC and three are Iwerks (maintained by CDC since Iwerks kind of gave up).

The three CDC machines are the 2D machine in St. Louis, the dome in Lubbock and the 3D setup in Lehi. There is one in Greece and two in Japan (all domes).

And to push you past the edge of "too much information", there are also 41 8/70 theaters operating in the US with machines by Iwerks, Ballantyne, Megasystems, Kinoton and Vistascope/VistaDome.

To answer Christian's actual questions:

Imax developed a film format that is 70mm-wide and 15 perforations long. This is commonly referred to as the "Imax" format, but is used by other companies as well.

Films that are distributed by Imax and films where Imax supplied specific technologies (such as DMR conversion of Hollywood films) can only play in Imax-branded theaters. Imax-branded theaters can play product from other distributors as well, but theaters with equipment manufactured by other companies are limited to the other distributors.

Imax has the largest selection of large format titles available, which is the reason why the company has been so successful in saturating the market with their products.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-02-2004 09:16 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The three CDC machines are the 2D machine in St. Louis"

actually that is an Ultra70 machine

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-02-2004 09:37 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
actually that is an Ultra70 machine
Actually that is the first machine that Neil and his partners built. So technically it is now also a CDC machine since they are all one and the same.

quote: Adam Martin
And to push you past the edge of "too much information", there are also 41 8/70 theaters operating in the US with machines by Iwerks, Ballantyne, Megasystems, Kinoton and Vistascope/VistaDome.

How many of each pleeeeeze......

Mark

Adam Martin

- posted 12-03-2004 06:09 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
In the US:

• Iwerks 17
  • Ballantyne 3
  • Megasystems 16
  • Kinoton 4
  • Vistawhatever 1

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-03-2004 07:58 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of those 17 Iwerks systems how many are Ballantyne based and how many are linear loop based?

Thanks!

Mark

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2004 12:57 PM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
To answer Christian's actual questions:
Adam,

You the man.

Adam Martin

- posted 12-04-2004 12:59 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know any specifics about the Iwerks installs other than the couple of booths I've been in.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2004 06:29 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam,
I read your post and was just doing a count in my head, 16 Megasystems? I can't recall that many. Maybe there are some that I haven't visited yet!

P.S. Add 5 systems to China 2 3-D systems and a 2-D motion ride!

Rick

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-07-2004 02:38 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark the Ultra70 is I believed now owned by Dick Niccums company
who made the lamphouses for CDC and others

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-08-2004 07:46 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gord,
All the lamphouses were built by Dick Niccum but the projector by Neil and his original band of cronies which are long out of the buisness. I can remember Lonnie Jennings telling me the story about when they called him at Dolby wanting a sound system to go along with it..... interesting story by the way..... Some day at the Large Format Fest ask Neil the story about the St. Louis machine if you run into him. All the "Off Brand" 15/70's are intertwined with the same people..... One of Neils techs also worked on the dreaded chain drive 15/70 projector..... Nick Diccum now handles that thrasher.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: