Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » Megasystems 15/70mm intermittent projector (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Megasystems 15/70mm intermittent projector
Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2004 04:30 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just looking at the pictures page and on the 2001 Show East pictures there is a picture of a 15/70 projector that has dual intermittents, how??!! [Confused] I was lead to belive that 15/70 at the speed it moves would not stand up to being run through a machine with sprokets ( I know IMAX has input and output ones, but I mean for the actual movement side)? And how does it work having a gate, or does it run on a cushion of air in the gate like a rolling loop? Anyone got any more information on one?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-07-2004 10:40 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Megashredder you mean... I heard that they only got it up to 12 fps. A totally rediclous idea in and of itself... the amount of moving mass is incredible at 24fps........
Gord also knows something about this attempt....
Mark

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2004 10:57 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, Only 12 fps? Surely you are joking!!

Actually that machine was a prototype that actually never ran film at speed. We set it up to jog the film at the show. When we ran it at speed with no film for any length of time, the sprockets either disintegrated, or the intermittents locked up. A lot of time and money went into this project that never should have been! I bet it sits collecting dust now, I don't know because I am no longer there. It was hard to keep a straight face at the trade shows and talk about this machine.

Rick

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-08-2004 11:01 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Originally cinemecanica tried a vic 8 on its side with similar results

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-08-2004 04:24 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The V8 was used for a World's Fair and used a single intermittent.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-08-2004 04:50 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believed it was called the shred-a-mecanica [Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-09-2004 08:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Hamilton
Actually that machine was a prototype that actually never ran film at speed
Well then I guess the Megasystems person that I talked to in the booth mis-Informed me didn't he.... Its no wonder they went the route they did.

You're right though even 12 fps would be difficult. Were the sprockets titanium they probably woulda held up very well... alumnium... never.

Mark

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2004 12:20 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Well then I guess the Megasystems person that I talked to in the booth mis-Informed me didn't he.... Its no wonder they went the route they did.

I'm curious who you talked to? That machine was only shown at a couple of shows a few years ago. Showeast, showest, and I believe Cineasia. I remember meeting you at showest, but there was never any discussion about the 15/70. I'm not sure why any one would say that it can only run at half speed., it doesn't make sense. Also what route did we go? Megasystems projectors are still here, just not the prototype15/70.

Rick

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-10-2004 05:30 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Hamilton
Also what route did we go? Megasystems projectors are still here, just not the prototype15/70.

It was at Showest for sure, a man with black hair is abaout all I can tell you and it was before the show actually started. As for the route Mega went... Basically saved by big brother so they did not suffer any further big losses....
The basic idea of the dual movements is great but the execution of the equipment really sucks.....

Mark

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2004 07:17 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So a system with dual intermittents would work? But what effect would it have on the film?? Why not use a stepper motor movment? When you say the sprockets disintegrated, you do not mean the perfs right, the actually sprockets!!!!??? [Eek!] How fast are they turning?

Neil Robinson
Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2004 08:51 PM      Profile for Neil Robinson   Email Neil Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work in a theatre in the UK that has a Megasystems 8/70 projector, thankfully it is only used occasionly it is the biggest pile of junk that I have ever worked with, are there many of these projectors in use in the USA and what is the situation obtaining spare parts as I understand Megasystems went out of buisness.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-11-2004 09:21 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strong has always built the Mega stuff and parts should be available through your Strong Dealer.... and you WILL need some of them on occasion. The dual intermittent concept is good but as built the projector has poor light efficiency and is pretty temperamental at times. Timming of the dual movements is SUPER critical! Fortunately there are not very many of these systems in the world..... Had some other company built these projection systems they would probably be more reliable and built much better. The Ballantyne Intermittents used in them do not have case hardened parts(star/Cam) as do most modern intermittents. This is unfortunately the way the original Ballantyne was designed......

From my experience the Iwerks linear loop is a ton better although it also has its own little tempraments you have to be able to deal with/put up with. Phil Hill of this site is the one that really worked to get the LL to the stage its at today. The LL is the most light efficient 8/70 projector out there because of its equivelent high speed pull down.

Mark

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-12-2004 08:52 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have sold and installed both the Mega and the Linear loop systems and serviced the Kinoton 8-70....they have their unique quirks. When Mega was in operation, they received the projector from Strong and then spent hours and days on each machine doing QC upgrades and checks. Most of my problems with the system was lamphouse optimization, communications from the projector control box and operator error...nothing major in a special venue situation. The Linear loop was rock steady due to the fixed registration pins in the gate ; after dealing with correct air pressure based on film stock and operating enviroment the only weak link was the control box, which was designed to be swapped out if it "hiccuped" in the timing of the components. Kinoton 8-70 is a great machine; the unit is very logical in layout in finding service problems. Most hassles on this machine has been operator error ( to the point of having a sprocket shaft and bearings destroyed by poor threading ) and good power input.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-12-2004 09:47 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always like the original odessey/super70 ballantyne 8 perf 70machines

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2004 09:58 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those just keep on clunkin', don't they Gord?!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: