Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » Arizonal Mills IMAX

Author Topic: Arizonal Mills IMAX
Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2004 07:52 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I finally go off my rear end and went there today.

Show was "Roar", a National Geographics film about a lion tribe.

Out of a rating of 1-10 for print cleanliness, I give it about a 9 1/2. Considering thier use of several ptr's that print was immiculate!

The aperture plate was near perfect (multiplex chains take notice), and the sound was excellent. Screen lighting was also nice and even, with no flickering. But their were som streaks on the screen that clearly came through during bright scenes.

Personally, I dislike short-throw auditoriums with tall screens, which is how this theatre is set up. I miss the days of the old single and two screen 70mm houses with deep auditoriums, screened curtains an tall (and wide) screens.

Outside of architecture (for my taste), the presentation was to be appluaded.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-19-2004 10:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Will Kutler
The aperature plate was near perfect
Er Will, There are no apreature plates in 15/70. Its usually done with duct tape on the window....

Mark

Kyle McEachern
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2004 11:03 PM      Profile for Kyle McEachern         Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Er Will, There are no apreature plates in 15/70. Its usually done with duct tape on the window....

Mark

I'm trying to figure out if this was meant to be a serious post.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2004 11:05 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Mark

Not familiar with IMAX projectors. So I should rephrase: "masking" was near perfect.

Robert Stawiarski
Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2004 11:30 PM      Profile for Robert Stawiarski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will, Mark likes to pop in the IMAX threads and make incorrect posts sometimes. He might be referring to how other brands do things. [Wink] There are aperture plates for IMAX projectors.

Also, the Tempe theatre is an IMAX operated theatre (as opposed to a third party operator), and I've heard good things about the chief projectionist there.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2004 03:22 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2D Classic Imax projectors used on the port masking but GT and SR sytems use thin brass aperture plates attached to the spherical element frame.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 09-20-2004 03:59 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Will Kutler
Personally, I dislike short-throw auditoriums with tall screens, which is how this theatre is set up.
Well, since that's the entire [original] concept of Imax, I'm not sure what to tell you.
quote: from imax.com
IMAX and IMAX 3D giant flat screens soar up to eight stories high and are designed to encompass your peripheral vision. ... Half the size of a football field and large enough to show a whale life-size, IMAX screens fully immerse you in the scene.

David Yauch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2005 01:29 AM      Profile for David Yauch   Email David Yauch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't know this thread existed or I would've chimed in a bit ago. I saw spiderman 2 at this location a few months back. There was a bug on the lens that crawled around and died about halfway through the movie, there were three base side scratches on the middle-left part of the screen, the print was dirty, and the screen was FILTHY

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-18-2005 07:43 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Yauch
I saw spiderman 2 at this location a few months back. There was a bug on the lens that crawled around and died about halfway through the movie.
Considering the title of the movie, quite an appropriate VFX! [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: