Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » Marcus Imax -- Now 35mm UltraScreen

Author Topic: Marcus Imax -- Now 35mm UltraScreen
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2004 01:04 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marcus Cinemas has removed all references to the Addison Illinois Imax theatre from its website. The Columbus site has no posted shows after Labor Day.

I noticed the last time I was a Crosswoods that all Imax materials except for Spiderman 2 posters were gone.

I've never understood how these made any money at all. I was never there with more than 50 people, and I had more than a few "solo" showings. A large theatre needs to change out product frequently, and Imax just can't provide that product. I would guess that a new Imax film would have to come out every 8 weeks or so in order to bring in the audience on a regular basis.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-04-2004 07:49 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I've never understood how these made any money at all."

The only one making any money on them is Imax. Its not really a product problem as there is alot of product. The main problem is the money vacuum that Imax definately IS.

Mark

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2004 12:58 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marcus is now saying in its list ad that an UltraScreen is under construction.

I would guess that they would mask down the Imax screen and possibly put in a new speaker system. The current seating would work just fine. I'm curious to see if the Imax equipment is pulled...they had to lift in the GT projector by crane, and that would be the only way to get it out.

I hate to see the Imax go, but a 35mm UltraScreen would certaily put more bodies in the seats (and at a premium price, too!) Guess we'll find out in a few weeks.

Chris Trainor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2004 02:37 PM      Profile for Chris Trainor   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Trainor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The IMAX at the Mall of Georgia does pretty well running 35mm on occassion on their IMAX screen using some custom lenses. Looks quite nice. Good idea that the house can be used for both IMAX and 35 if needed, tho now that there are plenty of mainstream IMAX releases I don't know how often they'll be doing that now.

--chris

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2004 08:32 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMAX in Perth ran 35mm and did great with it! When the first Lord of the Rings was showing was fantastic. IMAX here is Perth was the most fantastic place you can imagine! Not a single expense spared. Cost 9 million AU to build, but closed a year and a half after opening! If they had of shown 35mm from day one might still be open and I would still be working there! Definatly film done right! Good on you Eric, Chris and Marc! [thumbsup]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-16-2004 10:09 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul!

IMAX Australia (whatever the real company was called) were the most hopeless bunch in the business. Not surprising it folded. They re-organised the company and changed some bodies in the command, but it's still pretty lame.

Not sad to say I don't work at Sydney IMAX anymore.

John

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2004 09:05 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John

Hmmm IMAX Australia did have problems, but working for Perth was great. I am pretty sure I will never have as much fun as I did while working at IMAX. I can see why they closed, spent money where money should not of been spent, the marketing guy here also did not do to much of a job and again spent money on stupid advertising.

Where are you working now days John? Don't know of any cheap analogue processors for sale do you? [thumbsup]

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2004 11:43 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marcus has quietly reopened its IMAX room at Crosswoods in Columbus as an UltraScreen. Published information is a 75' x 32' screen (about same width as Imax) and a new digital sound system. The Imax GT projector, screen and sound system were removed in September. The theatre is charging a $.50 premium for UltraScreen presentations.

[ 11-11-2004, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: Mark Lensenmayer ]

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2004 12:40 PM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's strange charging Extra to see the Ultra Screen , as our Mega Screen charges the same cost as the other cinemas in the complex .

Imax reopens in Auckland

15.05.2003 7.05 am

Auckland's biggest movie screen, Imax, is back in action with Village Hoyts cinemas at the reins.

The former Imax screen in central Auckland has been reconfigured to screen blockbuster movies from tomorrow and is now known as "Mega-Screen Queen St".

Ticket prices for the big-screen cinema will be the same as those at Village Hoyts. The cinema has not been used for over a year.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: