Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » Spiderman in Imax? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Spiderman in Imax?
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2004 08:38 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hearing that CATWOMAN is out and that maybe SPIDERMAN 2 is in as the next Imax feature. Anyone getting any official word?

|  IP: Logged

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 06-30-2004 08:45 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Catwoman has been officially OUT for almost a week. Spiderman 2 is going to be announced soon, with an IMAX opening either the 16th or the 23rd.

I'm quite pleased that more studios are catching on. So far it's been Disney, who seemed to pass the torch to (or have it ripped from their hands by) Warner Bros. Spiderman is Sony, so the word is out!

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 07-04-2004 03:47 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What will the IMAX sound format be? Is IMAX capable of 8 channels? The 8 channel mix of Spiderman sounds great.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 07-04-2004 04:40 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, it will be the standard digital 6-track IMAX format.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2004 01:35 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am curious, when the studios release a feature film in 15/70, is it really 6 channel? Do they create an overhead channel just for that format, or does that channel become non-existant?

Rick

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 07-07-2004 04:24 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know, the soundtrack is remixed and remastered for a full 6-channel IMAX presentation. Now, whether or not the overhead is used effectively, I cannot say. And I'm sure it varies from studio to studio. This DMR conversion thing is, while quite advanced, still a new technology. I'm not sure of the process used for sound.

I'm sure some of the other IMAX crew here have more to offer.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 07-08-2004 12:46 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Set aside July 23rd!

Pointer goes -->HERE<-- and clicks!

quote:
07/07/2004: "Spider-Man 2 heading to IMAX"

IMAX Corporation and Columbia Pictures today announced that Spider-Man 2 will be distributed to IMAX theatres worldwide this month. The film will be released to the IMAX network beginning on July 23, 2004. The film is being digitally re-mastered through proprietary IMAX DMR (Digital Re-mastering) technology. The full press release follows:
Spider-Man 2 Spins into IMAX® Theatres as Digitally Re-Mastered IMAX Release

LOS ANGELES, July 7 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- IMAX Corporation (Nasdaq: IMAX; TSX: IMX) and Columbia Pictures today announced that Spider-Man 2 will be distributed to IMAX® theatres worldwide this month. This widely-anticipated film, which generated a record breaking $180 million in its first six days of release in the United States and Canada, will be released to the IMAX network beginning on July 23, 2004. The film is being digitally re-mastered into the unparalleled image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience® through proprietary IMAX DMR® (Digital Re-mastering) technology.

"When you have a movie like Spider-Man 2, it makes sense to offer audiences an opportunity to experience the film in this incredible format," said Jeff Blake, Vice Chairman of Sony Pictures Entertainment and President of Worldwide Marketing and Distribution.

"We are very pleased to add this phenomenal film to IMAX's blockbuster 2004 lineup," said IMAX Co-CEO's Richard L. Gelfond and Bradley J. Wechsler. "About a year ago, we did tests on the first Spider-Man, and since then, we've always thought Spider-Man 2 would be fantastic as an IMAX film. Columbia Pictures' entry into the IMAX business is further evidence that the Hollywood studios are recognizing the potential of presenting their event films in IMAX's format and capitalizing on the IMAX release window."

"Spider-Man 2 is ideally suited for IMAX and to be able to offer this superb movie to fans of IMAX and the Spider-Man franchise around the world in just a few weeks is an exciting development," said Greg Foster, President of Filmed Entertainment, IMAX Corporation. "Our proprietary digital re-mastering technology is making significant advances. It now has greater flexibility than ever before, enabling Hollywood studios to move quickly to reformat their blockbuster films and seize on the consumer demand for Hollywood event films in IMAX's unparalleled format."

In Columbia Pictures Spider-Man® 2, two years have passed since Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) walked away from his longtime love Mary Jane Watson (Kirsten Dunst) and decided to take the road to responsibility as Spider-Man. Peter must face new challenges as he struggles to cope with "the gift and the curse" of his powers while balancing his dual identities as the elusive superhero Spider-Man and life as a college student. The relationships Peter holds most dear are now in danger of unraveling as he clashes with the powerful, multi-tentacled villain "Doc Ock" (Alfred Molina).

Spider-Man® 2 reunites the cast and filmmakers from the first adventure, including Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst, James Franco, Rosemary Harris and J.K. Simmons, under the leadership of director Sam Raimi and producers Laura Ziskin and Marvel's Avi Arad. Joining the ensemble cast are Alfred Molina as Dr. Otto Octavius ("Doc Ock"), Daniel Gillies as John Jameson, Vanessa Ferlito as Louise, Dylan Baker as Dr. Curt Connors and Donna Murphy as Rosalie Octavius.

Columbia Pictures Presents A Marvel Enterprises/Laura Ziskin Production Spider-Man® 2 starring Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst, James Franco, Alfred Molina, Rosemary Harris, Donna Murphy and J.K. Simmons. The film is directed by Sam Raimi (Spider-Man, The Evil Dead). The screenplay is by two-time Oscar® winner Alvin Sargent (Ordinary People, Unfaithful) based on the Marvel Comic Book by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko. The screen story is by Alfred Gough & Miles Millar and Pulitzer-Prize winning author Michael Chabon. The producers are Laura Ziskin (Spider-Man, Pretty Woman) and Avi Arad (X-Men, Daredevil).

About IMAX Corporation

Founded in 1967, IMAX Corporation is one of the world's leading entertainment technology companies. IMAX's businesses include the creation and delivery of the world's best cinematic presentations using proprietary IMAX and IMAX® 3D technology, and the development of the highest quality digital production and presentation. IMAX has developed revolutionary technology called IMAX DMR (Digital Re-mastering) that makes it possible for virtually any 35mm film to be transformed into the unparalleled image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience. The IMAX brand is recognized throughout the world for extraordinary and immersive family entertainment experiences. As of March 31, 2004, there were more than 235 IMAX theatres operating in 34 countries.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2004 03:44 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new IMAX MPX sytem doesn't even have a sixth channel!

The only reformatted (not DMR strictly speaking) film I know that used the sixth (screen top) channel was Beauty and The Beast.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 07-08-2004 04:20 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, Hooray!!!

Second of all: that press release, forgive me if I'm wrong, reads EXACTLY like the Warner Bros. MATRIX IMAX® press releases did. But it's to be expected, since no one really paid attention the first time around. And really, what more can be said?

quote: Every DMR press release EVER!
"'Ooh, this IMAX thing is really a great format, and we're pleased to release our movie this way and make tons of money more than we would have ... oh, yeah, and the technology is getting better all the time.' Blah, blah, blah, audiences deserve it, blah, blah, blah. So-and-so spokesman from popular-film-studio says 'I'm just glad that we have this opportunity (to make money)' and so-and-so from IMAX adds, 'Yes, finally we can get some attention (but there's still no one doing any effective ADVERTISING for it!)' IMAX is great and we encourage everyone to pay exorbitant ticket prices to see all the interesting textures present in lead characters' faces."

Sorry if I come across a little cynical. I mean, hey, after all, I'm ROOTING for the studios to pick up on IMAX. It'll keep me gainfully employeed. I suppose I'm just a little bitter about the lack of marketing to back up these press releases.

Bob Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2004 07:21 PM      Profile for Bob Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just received word that we have signed the contract for both our IMAX theatres in Grand Rapids and Lansing. I cant wait for this one!!!

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 07-08-2004 10:51 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dick Vaughan
The only reformatted (not DMR strictly speaking) film I know that used the sixth (screen top) channel was Beauty and The Beast.
The Lion King did as well, when Simba was speaking with his father who was in the sky. The father's voice was coming from the spare parts channel.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2004 03:01 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Adam Martin
The Lion King did as well, when Simba was speaking with his father who was in the sky. The father's voice was coming from the spare parts channel.

Of course it did! Put the memory loss down to advancing years or over consumption of Guinness!!

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 07-09-2004 04:30 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woah, woah, hold it RIGHT there! There is NO such thing as OVER-consumption of Guinness! [beer]

Ah yes, spare parts channel, indeed. Of course, that's a high climb for a spare driver. [Smile]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-09-2004 09:37 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Put the memory loss down to advancing years or over consumption of Guinness!!" Impossible but to be safe switch to Tetleys Yorkshire bitter [beer] I doubt you could over consume it [Big Grin]

James B. Openshaw
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2004 07:27 PM      Profile for James B. Openshaw   Author's Homepage   Email James B. Openshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aye, Guinness, not much of a taste, but a nice impact on the nerves. [Wink]

I wonder if that claim by Warner Bros. about Special Effects being the reason for canceling the DMR transfer for Catwoman was the 'real' reason. Personally, from the trailer, it didn't look like a very promising movie and I wouldn't be surprised if the actual truth was that some IMAX theaters didn't want Catwoman.

As for Spider-Man 2 in DMR, it could do well, but that delayed release date might impact sales.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: