Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » IMAX in a non-IMAX booth? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: IMAX in a non-IMAX booth?
Brett Rankin
Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2001 02:57 PM      Profile for Brett Rankin   Email Brett Rankin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I'd check out the brand new 12-plex near my home and see what I thought. 11 screens plus and ImaX screen (or LFX, as they call it). I caught the 10:30 PM show of Proof of Life and after it was over, seeing as it was nearly 1 AM, the theatre was practically empty. I didn't even see any staff.

I make my way into the LFX auditorium where a 35mm print of "Matrix" is just finishing up. I sttod on one of the seats and looked into the booth, and there were no Imax projectors. Odd, I thought, as they were showing 2 shows that were supposedly shot and printed 15/70 (Super Speedway and Wildfire). All the booth was equipped for was 35mm (Christie PG35) and 8/70, from what I could see (the 8/70 film was threaded on a Strong projector that I couldn't identify). Those were the only projectors. No 15/70 capability.

So I ask, how is it that a film shot in 15/70 can be projected in a booth not capable of imax? Does the Imax corporation also print their films in 8/70?

I thought perhaps thatg these were independant films either shot in 8/70 or blown up from a vistavision or 4/35 negative. But nay, IMDB lists both films as 15/70, and this theatre (Krikorian Cinema 12, Monrovia, CA) is advertising upcoming runs of Everest and Cirque du Soleil.

I do hope that someone will be able to shine some light on my ignorance and befuddlement. Perhaps if they *hired* me I'd be able to find out...

Brett

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-05-2001 03:17 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can cross print 15/70 down to 8/70 as has been done with many films (IMAX corp usually will not let it be done with films that they supplied the camera to or that they produced but there are more exceptions than the rule) and in some cases 8/70 has been blown up to 15/70

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-05-2001 03:20 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brett,
Sounds like perhaps a Mega Systems job to me. Yes, Imax does print down to 8/70 on just about all of their films. The 8/70 is a poor mans Imax excuse, or that sort of thing. It could also be some other machine other than a Mega. 8/70 has always been a dissapointment for me so don't expect too much from it on a screen sized to Imax proportions.
Mark

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-05-2001 04:46 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Several companies manufacture 8/70 projectors. Among them, Iwerks, Mega Systems, Strong and Christie.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-05-2001 05:37 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Strong manufactures the Century, Ballantyne, and Mega 8/70 machines. I heard that the Westrex electronic projectors were being phased out by Christie.
Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-05-2001 05:44 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CFS used to build a 12KW 8perf machine for super70 and omnifilms
Century JJ was available for 8 or 10 perf 70
and there were even modified DP70(AA2) by vistascope
The kinotone DP75E is available for 8 or 10 perf as well
as was the westrex (now epic) and the cinema products electronic machine

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-05-2001 07:39 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the Kinoton SP-75E multiformat will play 4/35, 5/70 and 8/70...all on one projector!!! And it is at a fraction of the cost of an IMAX or other 15/70 system. I'm not saying that 8/70 is the same as 15/70 but for a special theatre within a conventional multiplex, the Kinoton SP-75E sure makes sense to me.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Brett Rankin
Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2001 11:58 AM      Profile for Brett Rankin   Email Brett Rankin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How disappointing that Imax would allow something like that- what is the cost of Mega Systems to install vs. a complete 15/70 setup?

Is this a common practice to install 8/70 in place of 1570 for cheapo theatres, or is it somewhat rare?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-06-2001 12:15 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is not always an issue of "cheap-o theatres"
Image size determines the resolution required
Imax does not sell their equipment but leases it and it charges about 2.5mil
Iwerks 15/70 machines were being sold outright by CTI for about 1-1.5 mil
8 perf machines are less than 1/10th of that cost and are usually sold outright

Brett Rankin
Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2001 12:19 PM      Profile for Brett Rankin   Email Brett Rankin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. Then I suppose it makes sense. Does Imax never sell outright, only lease?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-06-2001 12:21 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are several "sold machines" Ontario Place is one as is several other museums

Brett Rankin
Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2001 12:23 PM      Profile for Brett Rankin   Email Brett Rankin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well then, my question is answered. What a wonderful place this is.

Thank you all!

Brett

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2001 01:54 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both Super Speedway and Wildfire are both non Imax produced/distributed film.

"Super Speeedway" was made by Stephen Low (who also made 3D Sony 1570 film "Across The Sea of Time"

"Wildfire" was made by Phil Streather et al of the London,England based Principal group and was distributed by Discovery.

Interestingly they have recently finished a cracking film called "Legends of The Loch" for the Loch Lomond visitor centre . The film commissioned by said centre was shot in 1565 and will be distributed in 1570 although the theatre at Loch Lomond will have an Iwerks branded 870 projector.

FYI Cinemeccanica also made(makes?) 870 and 1070 projectors for use in "special venue " cinemas usually with dome screens and flat deck stand at the rail viewing.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-08-2001 09:05 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope that the cinemecanica 8 and 10 perf machines are more reliable than their ill fated 15 perf machine

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2001 09:53 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You used to have to move your head from side to side to synchronise your eyes with the lateral weave of the Cinemeccanica 15 perf.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: