Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » Megasystem? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Megasystem?
Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2001 02:51 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone know a projector factory called "megasystem"? I've read an article on an Italian magazine: Italian's Warner Village Cinemas will install these projectors ("Mega 8/70/35") in their booths for the next three years...
I knew that WV had a contract with Cinemeccanica, did they found someone that sell cheaper projector???

Bye
Antonio

|  IP: Logged

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2001 03:05 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.megasystem.com/main.html

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 10-01-2001 03:50 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Megasystems manufactures projectors for large-format venues. In other words, Imax wanna-be's. Looks like the projectors you mentioned will run 35mm, 5-perf 70mm and 8-perf 70mm.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-01-2001 08:27 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ballantyne manufactures some of the MEGA projectors, IIRC.

-Aaron

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-01-2001 09:25 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Kinoton is the only one with a multiformat machine
The mega used to be 870 only with twin intermittents

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2001 02:35 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gord

Megasystems were exhibiting the dual 435/870 projector at GSTA in Chicago last week. It has dual gauge sprockets ,pad rollers etc. Steve Kitten was saying that it will be convertible to run 570 but will require changing intermittent sprockets and some other parts.

They also were displaying the prototype 1570 dual intermittent machine which they were saying would run 10,000 pass loops with no visible damage. I should like to see independent proof of that before jumping in and throwing out the ole'rolling loop!

BTW Megasystems offerred to supply 870 machine to run film at next years GSTA . Talking to Glenn Shaver it seems either Famous Players Paramount would seem favourite venue so A/B comparisons would be possible between 1570 and 870 ,otherwise the 3D 70mm theatre at OSC is alternative. I think that trying to shoehorn it into your booth at Cinesphere would be just a little difficult.

BTW congrataulations to Cinesphere on receiving the Founders Award at GSTA.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 10-02-2001 06:37 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, come on, Dick, where's your sense of adventure? With that 30K lamphouse gone, there's plenty of room *above* the Imax in Gordon's booth for another LF machine!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-02-2001 07:43 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well considering that regular we fit the big ILA JVC in for conferences I think I could make the mega fit

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2001 08:21 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Gord nothings definite as yet.. i am sure you could twist a few arms if you want to get hold of it . You could always hold John Gifford to ransom

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2001 02:34 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link.

I didn't found information about 35mm projector on Megasystems website. Do they build 35mm projectors or not?

Bye
Antonio

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-02-2001 04:54 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dick that wouldn't work they would say keep him

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-07-2001 09:58 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have yet to see a single 70mm 8 perf theatre that impressed me a bit. ALWAYS a much dimmer picture, so dim in some cases that it actually bothered my eyes. Nothing can compare to running 15/70. Light level, and distribution is unequaled in large format projection. Dust and scratches are also magnified far less.
Optics for all 8/70 systems I know of are run of the mill...off the shelf Schneider, or Isco standard optics. This presents a big compromise in itself. The Imax system of incorporating the field flattener into the Leitz custom designed optics is the best so far. Perhaps if some of the 8/70 manufacturers put more effort into optics it would be a better system. The only problem then is that you have a lens that costs more than the whole 8/70 system does. IMHO I wish 8/70 systems would disappear as they are hurting the future of 15/70.
Mark Gulbrandsen
Salt Lake City, UT

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2001 03:39 AM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only Megasystem projector they in make 35mm is a one of a kind in Tokyo Japan, it a 8/35mm for a customer who wanted this to their special need, its a Ballantyne turn on its side...they only manufacture 8/70 & 15/70mm machines....I service this projector here in Tokyo, & its a very good machine, uses a standard Strong SCDC platter ( well slighly modifly) but I have no problem with it, and the people at Megasystem is very good to get along with & very knowledgable in the field...

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2001 05:00 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don

I have a copy of a press release sent out by ZeeAnn Mason zmason@megasystem.com dated August 10 2001 giving details of the deal with Warner Village to install 870/35 projector at the Torri Bianche location just north of Milan, a flyer from Megasystems showing the projector and I was shown the the projector at the GSTA trade show by Steve Kitten in Chicago two weeks ago. I think it is safe to say this projector does exist.
I have scanned flyer and asked Brad to include these here

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-08-2001 09:26 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark:

Schneider now has a line of purpose-built 8/70 lenses that are simply marvelous (looked at a 42.5mm lens recently).

I look at the 8/70 systems as a better choice for typical exhibitors that want a large format theatre. The Kinoton MP-75 allows for both 8/70 and 4/35 so the exhibitor can have it both ways.

If you want the IMAX presentation though...go to an IMAX theatre running 15/70. I don't see the point in typical multiplexes. IMAX would do best if they stayed with the type of venues they are known for (Museums and such). If there is an IMAX on every corner then they are no longer special and they all will suffer.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: