Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » Star Wars moving to IMAX? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Star Wars moving to IMAX?
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-04-2002 02:43 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This from theforce.net

quote:
IMAX Clones Coming Soon
Mon, Jul 01, 02 12:59:39 AM EDT

Agis tells us that AOTC will screen on IMAX in Australia soon!

ATOC : IMAX Special Full Screen Release confirmed in AU

Well it was confirmed today that Fox did have that ace we were waiting for and the word is IMAX.

With 15 countries signed up for the Special Full Screen Release of ATOC, things are heating up once again for SW, according to fox in AU

With Australia's IMAX season begining September Holidays (maybe earlier: fox hasn't ruled that out), other countries will be opening this special release as early as end of July. Japan, South Korea has secured a mid-august release, as well as Hong Kong and China. USA is still estimating around a Labor Day weekend opening, with London's Massive IMAX Theatre , will start showing end of July, 1st week of August, with Germany, France and Spain.

News has not been confirmed regarding a special release, with additional scenes, but fox have assured us, it will be quoted "worth the wait"

However some countries IMAX theatres will not be showing the film in digital, however fox has stated that they will try to make the best possible prints of the film for IMAX release, whether filming in digital or standard IMAX modules.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, that super high resolution video should look absolutely magnificent on an IMAX screen!!!

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-04-2002 03:24 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How will they fit that onto an IMAX platter? Also, isn't it illegal to show anything remotely entertaining at an IMAX? I thought it had to be documentary stuff and really short (45 mins MAX) subjects and also non-fiction. IMAX != real movies.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-04-2002 03:57 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And what are they going to do about the incompatible aspect ratios? Or can things like that be fixed in the computer....rearranging everything into a square instead of a rectangle -- according to Mr. Lucas, ANYTHING can be done now with CGI. Or maybe we will get to see it in letterbox -- now THAT should just tickle him pink -- so much like DVD will it be, yeass. But gee, then it won't really IMAX will it? Just like AOTC wasn't really in focus, was it?

Frank

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2002 04:31 AM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just like AOTC wasn't really in focus, was it?

Depends, the live action was slightly out from the digital.

I focused on the digital (esp the 6 armed chef) then bought it back slightly.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-04-2002 06:57 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't Lucas the guy who thinks that DLP projection of shot-on-video material should be good enough quality for everyone? Isn't he the guy who didn't have 5/70 prints made of his last two films?

James B. Openshaw
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2002 08:10 AM      Profile for James B. Openshaw   Author's Homepage   Email James B. Openshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correction, IMAX = REAL MOVIES thanks the IMAX Digital Re-mastering (or DMR).
IF AOTC does open in IMAX, and the theaters don't have big enough platters, all they have to do is order an upgrade from IMAX. We did this with Beauty and the Beast and got an upgrade on our Kinoton QTRU to accommodate larger length films.

Hope this answers some of your questions!

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2002 10:18 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe Redifer said:
--------------------------
'How will they fit that onto an IMAX platter? Also, isn't it illegal to show anything remotely entertaining at an IMAX? I thought it had to be documentary stuff and really short (45 mins MAX) subjects and also non-fiction. IMAX != real movies.'
--------------------------

You are absolutely correct: it is illegal to show anything remotely entertaining at an IMAX. However, this isn't a problem: they are showing 'Attack of the Clones'. (Sorry!)

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-04-2002 10:23 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would run easliy in any 3D Imax thatre where you can run feature length Imax films and do a normal changeover.
Mark @ GTS

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2002 10:37 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark

You can only run changeovers on the IMAX SR twin projector 3D setup like the ones here in Sunny Bradford. Trying to run changeovers on the twin rotor GT system would cause a few painful problems!

BTW as our organisation is also responsible for running both the London IMAX theatres I can say we do not have an IMAX print of Ep 2 booked in to either of them.

Fox in London are also very confused by this story.

Barry Hans
Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2002 10:42 AM      Profile for Barry Hans   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Hans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, the SR systems may be able to do it but it's a little more problematic with the GT setup ( both left/ right eyes running through the projector at the same time ). Running time could be an issue.

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2002 12:27 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lucas...? -Who is that ? Can he be some Film Tech lurker without photo. Would Mr Redifer please fix a photo, so we are not in doubt who to hit, if we meet him.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 07-04-2002 12:34 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a lot of fun watching AOTC the first time, and the unfortunate experience of watching it a second time.

Since it was filmed in 16x9 ratio to begin with, and cropped, then there is a lot more image to work with for an Imax release.

I did see the film first on a large format projection, and it was atrocious. The film actually looked better on a larger screen when I took a look see at the Villa, on thier 93 foot screen, so it must have just been the optics.

I think that they have had a lot of time to really play with the digital masters to make them look better, so who knows. I know I will go see it, and hope to hell that any additional scenes make the story better, and maybe even can make hayden cristensen look like he can act.

Dave

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-04-2002 02:33 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AOTC in IMAX? Are they on dope?

It should be fun seeing pixels the size of window panes.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-04-2002 03:21 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dick,
You're right! When I think Imax 3D I think SR projectors as thats all there is around here......at least till next month when another 3D 15/70 system emerges near Salt Lake City.
Mark

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 07-04-2002 05:54 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps they confused July 1st with April 1st?

--jhawk

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: