Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » Controversial Haunted Castle 3D IMAX

Author Topic: Controversial Haunted Castle 3D IMAX
Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2002 03:58 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new IMAX 3D film Haunted Castle starts at the museum here in Bradford very soon. http://www.nmpft.org.uk.

I recieved the regular e-mail out from the museum and it is described as "The Controversial Haunted Castle 3D".

Does anybody know the info, does anybody know the controversy that this film is causing????

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-05-2002 06:55 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
The only controversy came from the Imax purists that feel that large format films should only be family-friendly educational films.

Then, when the film received a PG rating in the states, Imax Corp. jumped on the bandwagon crying about its brand image.

The film is mostly CGI, portraying a young musician visiting a castle owned by his dead mother. In the castle he finds "Mr. D" (the devil, voiced by Harry Shearer) and is offered fame and fortune in exchange for his soul. On his tour through the castle, he finds the souls of various musicians throughout time who have taken the offer and are now spending eternity in hell.

Ben Stassen did a fantastic job with the 3D graphics and the film is worth a see for that alone. If I were to complain about something, it would be the story was kinda lame and fact that Stassen can't seem to produce a film without a rollercoaster ride of some sort. (He got his start in large format producing ride films.)

We screened this at my former institution and several very vocal staff members complained that it was full of devil worship and satanism. Many even threatened to quit the institution if we played it. These were the same people who thought it was great to reenact Sleepy Hollow for the kids' Halloween program.

In my opinion, kudos to Mr. Stassen for pushing the (very tightly sealed) envelope of large format filmmaking and making a large format film that's not a school-group documentary.

Mark Lensenmayer also wrote a review in the FHMR forum. He didn't like the film.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2002 08:06 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Count my vote with Mark's. I have a copy on DVD along with a couple of other Imax 3-D films and found the 3-D CGI "rollercoaster" boring. 3-D has fabulous potential in Imax 3-D, but I don't think this film exploited it very well.

It did have some 3-D "satan" demons coming out of the fireplace, but I can't imagine anyone confusing it with reality. The old "Devil and Daniel Webster" was more believable.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2002 05:40 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should get my chance to see this in a week or two.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: