Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » Apollo 13 in IMAX (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Apollo 13 in IMAX
Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2002 09:12 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I just saw this on the TV Guide web site's "news" section...

"Universal is planning to release a special IMAX version of Apollo 13 in theaters this summer."

Interesting. I wonder what the technical plan is. When I saw this movie on network TV they "opened up" the bottom of the Super 35 frame (I compared it with a letterbox laserdisc). So will they do this and make actual IMAX "full frame" prints? Or will they release it in 35mm to IMAX-style theatres with 35mm projectors? And... can something from a Super 35 original negative really look that great when it is blown up to IMAX? And, if they make IMAX prints, what about the fact that this movie is over two hours long? Hmmmm.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-20-2002 11:46 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
The current rumour:

This is in conjunction with Imax, who has "perfected" software to enhance the resolution of a 35mm negative blown up to 15/70. The prints will be 15/70 and run on the Imax projectors. The film will be cut down in length, probably removing anything resembling drama and leaving a rushed-feeling film that covers too much material in not enough time. (Do I sound bitter?)

Everyone is saying "summer" for this, but with Imax releasing Space Station 3D, I'm not sure if it won't be fall. Either way, it's just riding on the coattails of SS3D.

I guess we'll find out tomorrow, when the official announcement is made.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-20-2002 02:04 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I always felt the cutting back to the family on earth during intense scenes was a huge distraction on Apollo 13. Yes we know they are worried. This does not have to be forced into our heads, one or two cut backs showing the worried families is plenty to get the point across. We know, we know, we know. Stop interrupting scenes and giving sappy montages, Ron. (Ok wait, I'm ranting.)

Anyway, if that excess stuff gets cut out, I'll be all for it. Unfortunately, I have a feeling they will cut too much out, which would be bad, for IMHO it probably only needed 10 minutes chopped. Any more could destroy the rest of the movie.

Colin Wiseley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2002 03:33 PM      Profile for Colin Wiseley   Email Colin Wiseley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't there a limit to the amount of film an IMAX system can hold? According to IMDB, Apollo 13 is 140 minutes long. Every IMAX movie that I've ever seen has never been longer than an hour, seems like they have a lot of cutting to do.

------------------
Colin Wiseley
Lyric Theatre
Blacksburg, VA
www.thelyric.com

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-20-2002 03:59 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest, I'd rather see Apollo 13 in 5 perf 70mm than IMAX. IMAX is not a format that was designed for moviegoing enjoyment. It was designed so you could learn about underwater life and the Grand Canyon and the such. IMAX is not versatile enough to run a full length feature film.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-20-2002 06:37 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another difficulty is that much of the visual effects work in "Apollo 13" was done directly in the 2.35:1 format (either in terms of CGI renderings and "practical" motion control visual effects shot on VistaVision and 65mm film). If those effects shots were hard matted to the 'scope ratio, they're really going to suck when blown up to IMAX size (that is unless Universal forks over some cash to Digital Domain to have them redo the effect shots for IMAX format, which would seem very very unlikely).

I agree with Joe. Just get a 70mm 5-perf version of "Apollo 13" out there and be done with it.

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2002 06:54 PM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds almost as bad as those 70mm prints of "Gone with the Wind" that were cropped to 2.20:1 back in the 1970s (or was it the 1960s?).

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2002 01:44 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Gone With The Wind" opened in 70mm and 6-track stereophonic sound in 1968. Every frame was reformatted for 70mm and it was a tremendous succes in the cinema in those days. The transfer process was covered extensively in American Cinematographer. Artistically it can of course be questioned if such a transformation should be done at all.

------------------
Cheers, Thomas
..in70mm - The 70mm Newsletter

www.in70mm.com www.dp70.com www.70mm.dk www.hauerslev.com http://hjem.get2net.dk/in70mm

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-21-2002 04:59 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The colourised version of Citizen Kane and the rerelease of Metropolis with that ghastly 1980s synthesiser music were also 'tremendous successes' when judged purely by the criterion of how much money they made...

There's a lovely joke in Gremlins II with a cable TV station showing a trailer for the 'all new, restored Casablanca - now in colour and with a happy ending!'

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2002 09:18 AM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So... if Gone with the Wind was cropped and remixed in 1968 then the practice of altering a classic film and/or best picture winner to fit some newfangled format was invented long before Spielberg had any power and long before home video was a factor. And the public made it a box office success long before they'd been conditioned to accept such things. Interesting...

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-21-2002 11:01 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby,

No problem with the 2.39: formatted stuff. FlixFix has already "perfected" scope -> IMAX. There is a link to this breakthrough technology on the Links page...it is run by the AMERICAN WIDESCREEN MUSEUM.

Since IMAX has "perfected" 35mm conventional to 15/70 IMAX conversion, why bother with shooting in 15/65? After all if it is "PERFECTED" then it must be perfect.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-21-2002 07:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would'nt waste my time if its a condensed version!! The original film was great even with the wives stuff thrown in there. It was at least a complete story.....
Mark @ GTS

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-21-2002 07:36 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve has a point. They wouldn't say they had perfected it if it was not, in fact, perfect. Even with removing parts of the flick for length, you shouldn't notice since it will be perfect anyway.

I say go see the IMAX version and expect perfection.

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2002 10:24 PM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a PDF file on the IMAX.com website which shows a comparsion. However, the 35mm frames they show are obviously not real 2.39:1 frames, so it's impossible to tell how things are going to be cropped/blown up for IMAX.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-23-2002 02:58 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It'll only be perfect Joe when Gord is back to work and allowed to run it at Cinesphere.
Mark @ GTS
www.getgts.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: