Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » IMAX Auckland NZ Closing

Author Topic: IMAX Auckland NZ Closing
Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2002 01:08 AM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it's the last screening tonight of the only IMAX screen in New Zealand , it has struggled from the time it opened and they ended up showing double features and when they reduced the size of their adverts it looked like something was up http://onebusiness.nzoom.com/onebusiness_detail/0,1245,93253,00.html

|  IP: Logged

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2002 01:24 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the imax cinema is up for sale in west oz.
the location is unfortunatly very bad, it is in the night club district and a very bad trouble area for crime and drugs!.
i must say that i have not been YET, it's just that there is never anything screening that sounds even remotely interesting, if i hear of a closing date i will definitely rush out to see someting as i cant see imax ever coming back to west oz.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2002 08:34 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I am always sorry to see theatres close ,especially IMAX venues. Guess the manager saw the writing on the wall as he upped sticks and moved to the US a while back to run a theatre in Pennsylvania I think.

Also looks like my planned trip to New Zealand has just been axed as well

Auckland was due to host the 2003 Giant Screen Theatre Association Conference in September next year.

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2002 11:34 AM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A local Radio station is running a contest on the best use for the empty Auditorium of the IMAX ,some suggestions are indoor bungy Jumping ,Rock Climbing and other strange suggestions ,what have other closed IMAX centres become ? as there are several empty cinema complexs in Auckland that have found no viable use ,we have the closed Hoyts Mid-City complex that had 4x500 seat theatres and Village 8 cinemas in New Lynn the only closed complex to find another use is the old St James Theatre Centre (this contains the "Odeon" "Westend" "Regent" (70mm)and the "St James")that the Imax complex replaced ,this is now being used for Live Entertainment with a theme for each theatre ,Jazz in the "Westend" Live Rock and Fashion shows in the "St James" etc.

------------------
A KIWI eats,roots & Leaves.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-12-2002 04:19 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
At the end of last year, the Imax theater at Cedar Point Amusement Park in Sandusky, Ohio, closed. I want to say it was projector #9. This year, when the park opens, it will house the Peanuts on Ice show based on the Charles Schulz comic strip characters.

Other amusement park Imax theaters that have closed have been converted for laser show or stage show use, but I can't think of specific examples.

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2002 09:03 PM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spokane Riverfront Park Imax has Projector # 9

Melany Lowe
Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2002 07:48 AM      Profile for Melany Lowe   Email Melany Lowe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That kind of sucks that the imax is closing.Not that it was ever worth going to see,since it was so expensive for hardly anything.damn

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-16-2002 09:16 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just for the record, Cedar Point Imax was projector #4.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-17-2002 12:19 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I was close. It was a single digit. Does anyone have a list of the early installs and their corresponding serial numbers?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: