Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » 15/70 Install (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 15/70 Install
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-14-2002 09:53 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm taking part in a large 3D 15/70 installation for pretty much the rest of the month. Taking part in this installation has been a real priveledge for me. I've posted pics at my on-line photo site rather than jam up this thread with them as I plan on taking many more. The link is at the end of this note.......

Today all equipment was placed (ok, Steve G) into the booth with the aid of a crane with a 175 foot boom and alot of strong people!! It was quite a reach for the crane, and pretty nerve racking a couple of times.

The facility is also getting a brand new screen frame, and silver screen made by MDI in Canada. This is an ex-Iwerks system that was removed from a Large Format theatre in Ontario CA. The projectors, support equipment, and platter systems have all been rebuilt to new condition by CTC in CA.
The faclity is deeply involved in producing their own 3D film, and this is one of the main reasons for conversion to 15/70 from 8/70.
Mark @ CLACO http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1253195&uid=454798

|  IP: Logged

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 10-14-2002 11:17 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, where is this going up?

Dave

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 10-15-2002 01:09 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can answer that.

It's going in just north of Provo, Utah.

I drove past it when we droped my brother off at BYU last augest.
Unfortunatly, i did not have time to stop off and check it out.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-15-2002 02:30 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, please upload your pictures here and when you post the links, just don't put the [IMG] or [/IMG] tags and they will become links from the forum page. That way they are also permanently archived.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-15-2002 02:54 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Mark....best of luck with the install. This is such a great line of work; we get to play with most fun toys!

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 10-15-2002 04:00 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then this would be at Thanksgiving point if I am not mistaken. I have an office in Lehi, just a few minutes from there. I think I will drive by and check it out.

Dave

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 10-15-2002 10:57 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I've never seen an Iwerks/CDC projection system before. I thought people were joking when they said it looks exactly like another brand of equipment, but they weren't.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2002 11:17 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep Adam

Looks as though cloning happened earlier than anyone thought

Ahh those old Mk1 reel units

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-15-2002 07:02 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually these are refurbished projectors (by CDC) that were built around 1996. They came out of a 3D Large format theatre in Ontario, CA. The Ontario location is an interesting story in iteslf......
These machines have been produced since the original Imax patent expired. There are about 20 of them in service according to the builder of them which is now called CDC Technology. There is one at the Gateway Arch in St. Louis, and another in Springdale, UT, near Zion Canyon, and another in Oklahoma City, several in Japan and a few other installations. The Zion machine has been in continous use for quite a long time and has been virtually trouble free.
I should have more photos up tommrrow night.
Mark @ CLACO

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-16-2002 09:35 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the gateway arch is a different machine
THe first knock off rolling loop was built by Ultra70 World Oddessy which now also makes the maverick Neil Johnson was the original builder. He parted ways and formed a new company CTC that made a improved version for IWERKs which were the origins of these machines.
CTC folded and reopened as CDC
The lamphouse and a lot of other parts in all the clones originated with CFS/Rentec
The reel unit is a copy of the good reliable MK1

Adam Martin

- posted 10-16-2002 11:17 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
CDC services the World Odyssey projector in St. Louis now.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-16-2002 12:27 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how AIS is doing nowdays with both the Maverick and the Ultra70 stuff
GoTo Optical installed and services the Ultra70's and a 10 perf system of there own in Japan

Adam Martin

- posted 10-16-2002 03:28 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
IIRC, Advanced Imaging went out of business.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-16-2002 04:09 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is too bad as the plannar loop is an interesting piece of engineering. I wonder what will become of the 2 machines they built, and what was installed to replace them
The camera (ultra70) was made by Fries and was a decent camera.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-16-2002 07:17 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard a rumor today that MSM Engineering has developed a new 15/70 3D camera. Anyone else know about this? The 2D 15/70 cameras they build are really nice!!
I believe CDC is also now servicing the machines in Japan as well.
Mark @ CLACO

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: