Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » Regal and IMAX

Author Topic: Regal and IMAX
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 01-05-2003 12:13 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read somewhere (Boxoffice Magazine, I think) that Regal and IMAX are working together to install IMAX in some Regal houses. If they do, I certainly hope Regal uses qualified operators to run them.

Anyone care to comment without blasting Regal to a hot place?

|  IP: Logged

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2003 12:41 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal opperates the Channelside 9 & IMAX in Tampa. Yes, they do use qualified IMAX operators. They are not allowed to leave the booth while the show is running.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2003 12:46 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal is building 5 more, so thier total will come to 11. They do use qualified operators, I happen to know a few.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-05-2003 03:50 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
The five that Regal is "opening" are actually some of the old Edwards Imax theaters that got converted to 8/70. Regal signed a contract with Imax to re-convert them back to Imax equipment and Imax will be the exclusive large format system provider for Regal Entertainment Group.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 01-05-2003 08:00 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got back from my trip to see the Lion King in IMAX at the newly re-installed Edwards Irvine Spectrum (My hands-down favorate theare on the plannet)

There was a qualified projectionist in the booth for the entire show.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-05-2003 08:09 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes, they do use qualified IMAX operators. They are not allowed to leave the booth while the show is running.

What if the qualified IMAX operator needs to go diarrhea or something?

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 01-05-2003 08:11 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then I'd hate to be the projectionist with the following shift! [Big Grin]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-05-2003 08:22 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, did they finish the remodeling at the Spectrum 21? How does it look now? The place was a mess when I was there in May last year.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2003 12:47 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Regal Hacienda Crossing in Dublin, CA has IMAX. The showmanship is very top notch.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 01-06-2003 12:08 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the remodle is compleate. To be honest, the loby was much better before the change. The remodled auditoriums, however, are absolutely beautiful. Most screens now have stadium seating.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 05-04-2004 04:16 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 483 days since the last post.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 05-04-2004 04:16 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Olpin
I just got back from my trip to see the Lion King in IMAX at the newly re-installed Edwards Irvine Spectrum (My hands-down favorate theare on the plannet)

There was a qualified projectionist in the booth for the entire show.

Nice to come across this post so long after it was made (thanks to the new Large Format Forum Migration). That would have been my staff and/or myself running it. We had opened with Treasure Planet that November and Lion King ran through January and beyond. It's great to know that the presentation was noted and appreciated.

We do have a great-looking theatre, and an entire booth staff with strict presentation standards ... (although that may not be happening too much longer if we keep getting these shafts on raises).

quote: Joe Redifer
What if the qualified IMAX operator needs to go diarrhea or something?
Well, part of the qualification process includes a bowel surgery procedure whereby all bodily functions are controlled by the Projector Local Controls ... under Presets.

Actually, every IMAX booth I've seen has a restroom. I guess, technically, it's "leaving" when relegating yourself to a porcelain recliner during the show, so I try to time my "needs" with the "Time To Picture Off", clearly displayed, to the second, on the console.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 05-04-2004 12:59 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep up the good work over there! I'm still trying to make it up there for Nascar, and I'm going to organize another carpool to see Harry Potter this summer.

(Note: Wow! I guess I never really proofread those posts above! The spelling is awful!)

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-04-2004 03:59 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that Regal is about to enter the Hawaii market with their acquisition of all of the Signature theatres locally as well as those in California, it will be great if they would consider opening a commercial IMAX theatre in Honolulu. The now defunct Pacific's Waikiki IMAX theatre was wonderful as long as they were around but now that they are gone, there are no venues except the theatre at the Polynesian Cultural Centre which has been showing "THE LIVING SEA" for well over a year now and do no seem to have any plans to show anything else in the near future. The Bishop Museum was planning to build one but decided to scrap the project which was unfortunate The Waikiki IMAX was never a money making venue because it and it's sister theatres the Waikiki #1, #2 and #3 were not attracting the kind of crowds it used to before Pacific built the Ward 16 as well as competition from the Dole Cannery 18 and all of the theatres in almost every shopping mall on the island of Oahu. The high admission price of almost $10.00 for an adult ticket was another deterrent. I think an IMAX theatre at the Dole Cannery might do well if they could also show standard films in addition to large format like many other IMAX theatres are offering.

-Claude

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-04-2004 04:02 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that Regal is about to enter the Hawaii market with their acquisition of all of the Signature theatres locally as well as those in California, it will be great if they would consider opening a commercial IMAX theatre in Honolulu. The now defunct Pacific's Waikiki IMAX theatre was wonderful as long as they were around but now that they are gone, there are no venues except the theatre at the Polynesian Cultural Centre which has been showing "THE LIVING SEA" for well over a year now and do no seem to have any plans to show anything else in the near future. The Bishop Museum was planning to build one but decided to scrap the project. which was unfortunate The Waikiki IMAX was never a money making venue because it and it's sister theatres the Waikiki #1, #2 and #3 were not attracting the kind of crowds it used to before Pacific built the Ward 16 as well as competition from the Dole Cannery 18 and all of the theatres in almost every shopping mall on the island of Oahu. The high admission price of almost $10.00 for an adult ticket was another deterrent. I think an IMAX theatre at the Dole Cannery might do well if they could also show standard films in addion to large format like many other IMAX theatres are offering.

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: