Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » 20 years of IMAX in the UK

Author Topic: 20 years of IMAX in the UK
Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2003 07:06 PM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just realised that tomorrow ,April 19th, is the 20th anniversary of the first screening to an invited audience of an IMAX format film in the UK.
I showed "To Fly" ,still in my opinion one of the best large format movies , to a full house of local celebs for a BBC film being made about the opening of the National Museum of Photography as it was then.

the projector ,#34 ,still sits alongside the projection room where we now use our SR projectors (SR system # 009) .

I should like to take the opportunity to thank all those people at Imax and Sonics who have helped us to screen great films over the last two decades.In particular I should like to mention,in no particular order, Bill Shaw,Ian Maxwell,Paul Byford, Russ "Krusty" Cardinell,Steve Doherty,Willem Bouwmeester,Terry Lee, Marty Galbreath ,Glenn Pedersen, Christiane "Pickled Eggs" Sattler ,Dave Jacques,Giovanni Vecchio and Rose "Where's My chocolate!" Gordon!

Heres to the next 20!

[beer] apologies to those I may have omitted. [thumbsup]

|  IP: Logged

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2003 09:16 AM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Dick and the team for giving the UK the best IMAX experience. May not be the biggest IMAX screen in the UK but it sure is the best IMAX presentaion here in the UK.

I agree To Fly is a great IMAX film, the best impact going from small screen to full IMAX, amazing.

Hope to see you soon.

Darren and all at City Screen LTD

John Spooner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2003 12:37 PM      Profile for John Spooner   Email John Spooner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear UK colleagues.
Good to see that IMAX is still going well in the UK.
The IMAX in Adelaide in South Australia closed down about 2 or so years ago, and this was well covered by the local press.
The Australian part of the business was taken over by new management who were bean counters more so than entrepreneurs and not even into film exhibition, subsequently our Imax was closed.
The Adelaide City Council has expressed interest in converting the building into up-market yuppie apartments or even student housing.
Regards. John S.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-18-2003 01:16 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on the occasion

Michael West
Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2003 01:38 PM      Profile for Michael West   Author's Homepage   Email Michael West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
congratulations for bradford (even though i applied for a job there once and did not get it) [Wink]

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-19-2003 12:59 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to Bradford and to you, Dick! (20 years of changing field flatteners - might be a record!)

Sadly I never made it to the museum. Paul liked going there, and he was the boss... RHIP.

I always like opening theatres with To Fly. The opening is magic for people who've never seen Imax... watching them go from "huh? is that it??" to "WOW!!!" was brilliant.

Andrew Lee
Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2003 10:12 AM      Profile for Andrew Lee   Email Andrew Lee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations to you Dick. You have been a large part in the whole equation. [thumbsup]

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-20-2003 12:02 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This calls for a party! [beer]

BTW, the name "Giovanni Vecchio" is interesting coz it means "Young Old."

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: