Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » The Matrix sequels to be repurposed for IMAX theatres (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: The Matrix sequels to be repurposed for IMAX theatres
Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-23-2003 11:08 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions to be Released as IMAX(R) Films

Digitally Re-mastered Using IMAX(R) DMR(TM) Technology The Matrix Reloaded to Premiere this Spring; The Matrix Revolutions To be the First-Ever IMAX Day and Date Release Of a Hollywood Live-Action Event Film this Fall

LOS ANGELES, Apr 23, 2003 - Imax Corporation announced today that The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions, the second and third chapters in the Wachowski Brothers' revolutionary film trilogy, will be coming to IMAX(R) theatres this spring and fall. The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions, from Warner Bros. Pictures, Village Roadshow Pictures and producer Joel Silver, will be digitally re-mastered into the unparalleled image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience(R), using the revolutionary and proprietary IMAX(R) DMR(TM) (Digital Re-mastering) technology. The financial terms were not disclosed.

The Matrix Reloaded: The IMAX Experience will open shortly after the film's 35mm release on May 15th. And, on November 5th, The Matrix Revolutions: The IMAX Experience will be released simultaneously on giant IMAX screens in the IMAX 15/70 format and in conventional theatres in the standard 35mm format. This will mark the first time ever that a Hollywood live action event film is released concurrently in 35mm and IMAX's format. IMAX's agreement with Warner Bros. Pictures, which will be the exclusive distributor of the films to IMAX theatres worldwide, is also the first multiple IMAX DMR film commitment by a major Hollywood studio.

"We're excited to give fans the opportunity to experience the world of The Matrix in this spectacular format," said Joel Silver, producer of The Matrix trilogy. "Throughout the IMAX DMR conversion process, the IMAX team took meticulous care in maintaining the technical integrity of the films. The IMAX Experience of both The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions will add a new dimension to the films' groundbreaking visual action and advances the Wachowski Brothers' vision for telling the trilogy's story in multiple formats."

"The re-mastered IMAX versions of The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions provide our audience with a whole new way to experience the films that is even more immersive and more exciting," said Dan Fellman, President, Domestic Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures. "We are very pleased to be able to bring these two innovative, cutting edge, spectacular motion picture experiences to the millions of Matrix fans and new audiences at IMAX theatres, and to be taking part in what we believe is part of the future of cinema. IMAX's dedication and enthusiasm under the direction of Greg Foster, IMAX's President of Filmed Entertainment, makes this project not only a landmark in motion picture distribution, but also a real pleasure, and one that we look forward to repeating in the near future."

"The Matrix always scored among the highest when we asked our consumers what movies they wanted to see re-mastered in IMAX's format, and we believe that the high concept, high tech films will be great for IMAX theatres," said Richard L. Gelfond and Bradley J. Wechsler, Co-Chairmen and Co-CEOs, IMAX Corporation. "We are thrilled to work with Warner Bros. Pictures, Village Roadshow and Joel Silver to bring The Matrix Reloaded: The IMAX Experience to IMAX theatres this spring -- and to be making motion picture history by bringing the first ever day and date release of a live-action event film to IMAX theatres with The Matrix Revolutions this fall. Today, our longtime goal of bringing Hollywood's best event films to IMAX theatres concurrent with the 35mm release, becomes a reality. Warner Bros. Pictures is truly visionary in seeding this new ancillary window through the release of these spectacular films."

|  IP: Logged

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2003 11:29 AM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsup] [Big Grin] HELL YEAH [Big Grin] [thumbsup]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-23-2003 11:53 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How much footage will they be missing to fit on an IMAX platter?

Adam Martin

- posted 04-23-2003 12:18 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
The films will not be edited and will run approximately 140 minutes.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-23-2003 12:57 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How with "The Matrix" sequels be composed for the IMAX frame? The theatrical release will be 'scope via Super35 elements. The IMAX frame is somewhere between 1.33:1 and 1.66:1 (I forget). So obviously something has to be cropped or recomposed.

If "Reloaded" and "Revolutions" were done via digital intermediate natively in the 2.39:1 'scope ratio, that would cause some severe panning and scanning problems. Same would go for the CGI work. Either the shots would have to be re-rendered in a more open matte above and below or the IMAX frame is going to zoom into the image and blow pixels up even further.

Will the IMAX repurposing of "Matrix: Reloaded" only take place in IMAX branded theaters? If that is the case, are there any dates set on when it might debut?

Considering I'm going to have to do some driving to see this film in a decent theater (since the one here in Lawton I prefer isn't getting it), I may have to check out the show if it plays at Cinemark's IMAX setup in Tulsa or the ones in Dallas.

Michael West
Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2003 01:18 PM      Profile for Michael West   Author's Homepage   Email Michael West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam -
will this have an intermission or will it use the larger platter for the qtru. we just have the 60 minutes version. i only hear about the problems other imax projectionists are having with the larger 120 minute platters, and as we are rarely ever in the imax booth these days i am a little concerned.

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2003 01:35 PM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The article doesn't say it but this is not going to be 35mm played on an IMAX screen but an actual 70mm print?

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2003 02:06 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael West said
quote:
i only hear about the problems other imax projectionists are having with the larger 120 minute platters
What problems have u heard. We run the 120 minute platters and have no problems with them.

Adam, what other upgrade can we do to the QTRU to hold "Matrix".?

Adam Martin

- posted 04-23-2003 02:40 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
This will be a 15/70 print with the original 35mm put through the DMR process.

There is additional room on the original QTRU arms for slightly larger platters. Either that space will be utilized or the reel units will be upgraded to four decks of 90-minute arms (for SR systems running changeover). The MK-II reel units will hold up to 125 minutes with only slight structural modifications, so theaters will be required to run with a QTRU unless an intermission is permitted.

The Imax AR is about 1.44:1. Apollo 13 and AOTC were both cropped/opened up to 1.66. Ghosts of the Abyss is being shown letterboxed to 1.75. I wouldn't even begin to guess what Warners is going to do about the aspect ratio, as these will be their first large format releases.

Michael West
Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2003 09:41 PM      Profile for Michael West   Author's Homepage   Email Michael West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
william
the problems i have heard with regards to the 120 minute qtru upgrades are with the print being thrown off the deck.
we have srs but with only the 60 minute reels.

Adam Martin

- posted 04-23-2003 10:58 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
The problems where the prints were thrown from the platter involved the operator not operating the equipment properly in one way or another.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-24-2003 01:23 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Slightly off topic, but has anyone checked out the new "final theatrical trailer" for "The Matrix: Reloaded"?

I downloaded a couple Quicktime6 versions of the thing. Thank God for DSL! The standard "broadband" version of 640 X 346 pixels played fine on my machine. But they have an "ultimate" version that staggers at 96MB in size. Download the ZIP or Stuffit file (PC or Mac) and you'll get a "BETTER THAN DVD" quality image of 1000 X 540 pixels! Woah.
http://www.thematrix.com

I'm working on a now-aging Dell computer of just 1GHz and a decent GeForce2 GTS video card. That "ultimate" trailer really put a strain on the system. Dropped a few frames here and there. Might be a good download as an "acid test" for computer system strength. Nice high rez. Very recommended.

In closing, since I haven't got a response on it, what are the best theaters in OKC and Dallas? I need to see this movie in a good theater.

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2003 09:01 AM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Micheal,
We have had prints thrown off twice, one time due to operator fault and one time in the credits of Haunted Castle 3D, not sure why it threw, but it did. We have velcro straps and little orange screw in clamps when we run a movie over the 60 minutes mark.

Adam, the MK-II can hold 125 minutes, I guess there will have to be an intermission for QTRU.

Michael West
Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2003 09:41 AM      Profile for Michael West   Author's Homepage   Email Michael West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam / William
what exactly would one do to not operate the equiptment properly to have a "thrown print" i have never thrown a print in 35 or 70mm although when i run a trailer or jog the end of a feature i tape the remainder to the deck as i can see it slides some.

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2003 10:56 AM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Micheal, do you use clamps scewed into the holes at the end of the platter? I have ran prints wihout them and no problmes, but I would advise against it. I know, when we opened we didn't use clamps. I think Space Station 3D was when we got clamps. I was not working here so I'm not sure.

To answer your question about what an operator would do to have a thrown print, I would say no clamps, brain wrap, print not centered, when the ring was pulled a bulge was created in the film.

Hope that was helpful. [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: