Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » The Waikiki IMAX is now history!

Author Topic: The Waikiki IMAX is now history!
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-08-2003 02:34 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Consolidated Theatres, a division of Pacific Theatres closed the Waikiki IMAX Theatre this past Sunday and the Waikiki district of Honolulu no longer has any motion picture theatres anymore. There was a time when going to Waikiki to see a movie was a special event but not anymore. [Frown] The only IMAX theatre in Hawaii now is the one at the Polynesian Centre on the north shore of Oahu in Laie. Although the tourist trade supported the Waikiki IMAX theatre on a limited basis, local stayed away because there were no free parking and people felt that the admission price was too expensive for most 45 minute IMAX movies. Even when regular movies like "BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, LION KING, STAR WARS Episode II and MATRIX RELOADED was formatted in IMAX and shown that way, many did not feel it was worth the effort and expense to go to Waikiki to see them no matter how impressive the presentation was. At least I still can look forward to awesome film presentations at the Ward 16 but it is very sad when theatres that were much better than the Ward are only a pleasant memory now. [Frown]

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2003 03:09 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there no chance that some other company may buy the theater and reopen it?

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-08-2003 03:50 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

The Waikiki IMAX was originally built and operated by Destination Cinema on land that was leased to them by Consolidated. The theatre itself was purchased by Consolidated a few years ago when Destination Cinema pulled out. Consolidated has a history of never selling any of it's theatres to a competitor so there is no way the IMAX theatre will continue to operate as is. It will be converted to a retail market venue and be part of a shopping complex along with's it now defunct sister theatres, the Waikiki Twins and the Waikiki 3. The Twins and the IMAX will not be demolished but the Waikiki #3 will face the wrecking ball very soon. [Frown]

-Claude

Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2003 03:53 PM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude, didn't Wallace's Enchanted Lake (Kailua) location also just close?
-Chris

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-08-2003 04:45 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chris

Yes, the Honolulu Advertiser also reported in the same news article about the Waikiki IMAX closing this morning that the Wallace Enchanted Lake Cinema also closed. I have never liked Wallace Theatres ever since I found out that they never made an effort to "do Film Right' when I used to go to their Restaurant Row Theatres and the announcement about the closing of their Enchanted Lake Cinema never bothered me.

-Claude

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 07-08-2003 05:16 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn ... both Imax theaters there just received a regular audio service. This must have come out of left field.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-08-2003 07:06 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My experience has been that companies sometimes continue with "business as usual", even though they know they're going to pull the plug, to avoid "spooking" the employees and triggering a mass exit. [Frown]

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2003 01:35 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it seems that for some companies at least, everything comes out of left field.

I will be visiting Hawaii in just two weeks and was really looking forward to seeing the last remaining theatre I had worked before moving. Now I will just be delivering the eulogy for Waikiki Twins, #3, and now IMAX....

Guess you really can't go home again. [Frown]

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2003 02:42 AM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear Claude , here in Auckland they have turned the Old IMAX into the MEGA Screen .

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2003 08:22 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The IMAX here in Perth closed last year, and they ran things as normal right up to the day they closed. It is now sitting there with all equipment still in place, computers still in the box office. The theatre is a very modern place and was very film done right. The place was up for sale for ages, its now sold and is up for rent. Wish I had the money! [Cool]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-09-2003 03:11 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see how any Imax makes money.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-09-2003 05:11 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For many museums the Imax (or other large format) theatre is a main revenue source for the entire faciliy

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 07-09-2003 08:59 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand how any business makes money.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-09-2003 11:18 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For many museums the Imax (or other large format) theatre is a main revenue source
But, what'll it cost, man, WHAT'LL IT COST!?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: