Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » "MATRIX RELOADED" in IMAX opens on Friday, 6/6 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: "MATRIX RELOADED" in IMAX opens on Friday, 6/6
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 06-04-2003 12:12 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The IMAX version of "MATRIX RELOADED" opens this Friday, June 6 and was wondering how wide is the release going to be. I have not heard if the film will play at the Waikiki IMAX Theatre here in Honolulu but if it does, it should do a lot better than "THE GHOST OF THE ABYSS" which is not doing too well anymore. I was not planning to see the "MATRIX" sequel in a theatre because I disliked the original very much but I would consider seeing it in IMAX if it plays here.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 06-04-2003 12:22 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like around 39 prints.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 06-04-2003 02:07 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me and a bunch of freinds are planning on making a trip to LA to see it.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2003 02:20 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Playing at Marcus Imax starting Friday. They are showing MATRIX 3 times per day and GHOSTS OF THE ABYSS 3 times per day.

(Correction: Early info was wrong. They are running 2 GOTA and 3 MATRIX at Marcus Imax.)

[ 06-06-2003, 06:33 AM: Message edited by: Mark Lensenmayer ]

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-04-2003 03:36 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
This release will roll out in waves for the next month. Some theaters will not be able to play it because of conventional chains objecting to it playing in their markets.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 06-04-2003 04:28 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Adam.

Because Consolidated (Pacific) is the dominant exhibitor in Hawaii with the most screens, I do not think they will be any objections by the two other chains, Signature and Wallace if Consolidated's Waikiki IMAX play the MATRX RELEADED" film because they know that the majority of the people will not go out of their way to see a movie in Waikiki even if the film was in IMAX. This is the reason Consolidatedy had to shut down their three Waikiki standard theatres because of the lack of interest in film presentation by the public.

By the way, I am looking forward to meeting you and seeing your theatre during my trip to Sacramento early next month when I go there on a photo assignment.

-Claude

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2003 04:36 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Loews Lincoln Square, Regal New Roc City and UA King of Prussia get to "Reload in IMAX". They'll play it one matinee and two evening shows.

Claude: Bookmark Hawaii Showtime -- it has schedules for all theaters in Hawaii, IMAX included.

Michael West
Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2003 07:25 PM      Profile for Michael West   Author's Homepage   Email Michael West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we start matrix on imax this friday. i will have the pleasure of making this up on its many reels thursday (i hope)

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2003 12:00 AM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strange things are going on in Auckland ,as Matrix has been showing in the MEGA SCREEN theatre ???? I don't know if they have converted the old IMAX to a Large Format cinema , I,ve been away in the Philippines so I,ve not been there....but it could be .
Location: Sky City Metro, Level 3, 291-297 Queen St, Auckland
Postal Address: Box 5505, Auckland
Email: mega@village.co.nz
Fax: (09) 369 2401
Movie Information Line: (09) 369 2400
Cinema Screen: The largest screen in NZ - 400+ seats (Dolby Digital Sound)
Facilities Available: Toddler booster seats (limited supply), Time Out games arcade Level 2 Sky City Metro.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 06-05-2003 12:50 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charles,

The Hawaii Showtimes web site did not have any indication that "MATRIC RELOADED" will open Friday at the Waikiki IMAX but todays Midweek magazine that features this coming weekend's new movie schedule has the film scheduled to open in IMAX here in Honolulu. Now that I know it will play here, I will try to catch it on Sunday because I will have some time in the afternoon.

-Claude

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2003 04:23 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see that "MATRIX RELOADED" has a running time of 2 hours 18 minutes. Does that mean the Imax version will be an abridged version with platter capacity limited to 2 hours, or are they including an Intermission?

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2003 02:05 PM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Confirmed ====Matrix Reloaded on the biggest screen
IMAX theatre in Auckland reopens as Mega Screen Queen Street, will screen "The Matrix Reloaded"
15 May 2003

Queen Street's IMAX theatre has been given a new lease of life.

The big-screen theatre - the only one of its kind in New Zealand - has been revamped by Village Sky City Cinemas after closing more than a year ago.

Prior to closing, it showed IMAX large format movies, which offer very high quality images because of the physical size of the film.

Now the cinema - renamed "Mega Screen Queen Street" - is to re-open at midnight tonight to screen the "The Matrix Reloaded".

Ticket prices will be the same as for Village regular cinemas.

Village Sky City Cinemas Chief Executive Joe Moodabe says the cinema has been adapted to screen blockbuster "event movies" over the coming months including "2 Fast 2 Furious" (June), "The Hulk" (June), "Terminator 3" (July), and "Tombraider 2" (September).

Michael West
Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2003 02:15 PM      Profile for Michael West   Author's Homepage   Email Michael West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
bernard
our imax sr system uses two projectors and incorporates a change-over from platter "a" for right projector to platter "b" left projector, this change-over is obviously unseen by the audience. the print will arrive on many rolls which will be spliced together on two large platters. information (frame counts etc.) is programmed into the plc (programmable logic controller) that will signal the projectors to start, dowser open, change-over, doswer close, and stop, the feature should just fit the platters but just in case (we also have just recieved two slightly larger than normal platters, have extensions for the take up arms and re calibrated qtru cards/modules). note i really have glossed over it all some. the matrix we have from what i understand is un-cut.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2003 04:39 PM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bernard

To use the SR changeover as described by Michael we need to use 75 minute ,53"diameter platters as opposed to the standard 60 minute 51" diameter!

For single projector GT 3D setups , such as at BFI London IMAX, the Quick Turn Reel Unit needs to be modified to take 150 minute capacity platters which I tink are approximately 72" diameter.

Unfortunately , at the moment , the only UK IMAX theatre being given the oportunity to screen Matrix Reloaded is the BFI. For reasons as yet unclear the international release is limited to one screen each in the UK,Russia,Singapore, South Africa, Japan and Germany AFAIK there are no foreign language versions currently available.

[ 06-06-2003, 02:42 AM: Message edited by: Dick Vaughan ]

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2003 05:04 PM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael and Dick,

Thank you for explaining all of that. So very interesting as well.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: