Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » Harry Potter 3 in Imax DMR

Author Topic: Harry Potter 3 in Imax DMR
Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-18-2003 02:34 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

THIRD INSTALLMENT OF HARRY POTTER FILM SERIES TO BE RELEASED AS IMAX® FILM IN SUMMER 2004

Highly Anticipated Film to be Digitally Re-mastered Using IMAX® DMR Technology

Warner Bros. Pictures and IMAX Corporation Sign Deal Following Successful IMAX Release of Last Two Chapters of The Matrix Trilogy

LOS ANGELES, CA, December 18, 2003 - IMAX Corporation (NASDAQ: IMAX; TSX: IMX) and Warner Bros. Pictures today announced that Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, the third installment of the Harry Potter film series, will be released to IMAX® theatres in addition to conventional theatres in June 2004. This family event film, based on the third book of the world renowned and best-selling series, will be digitally re-mastered into the unparalleled image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience® through proprietary IMAX® DMR (Digital Re-mastering) technology.

This deal represents the second IMAX DMR film commitment from Warner Bros. Pictures in the last year, and comes on the heels of the successful performances of the second and third chapters of The Matrix trilogy in IMAX theatres. Based on the best-selling series of books by J.K. Rowling, the first two movies in the Harry Potter series broke worldwide records with a combined box-office gross of nearly $1.9 billion. Warner Bros. Pictures is to be the exclusive distributor of Harry Potter to IMAX theatres worldwide.

"Our partnership with IMAX has been extremely rewarding and has allowed our films to expand their reach beyond our traditional audiences by offering viewers a whole new way to see Hollywood event films that is uniquely immersive and exciting," said Dan Fellman, President, Domestic Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures. "We are so pleased that this summer, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, which lends itself beautifully to IMAX's format, will play throughout the IMAX theatre network. Besides Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban, we are discussing an IMAX 3D release of Polar Express in November 2004, and an IMAX DMR release of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in the summer of 2005."

"We are thrilled to be expanding our mutually beneficial partnership with Warner Bros. Pictures that began with the successful release of the last two chapters in The Matrix trilogy," said Richard L. Gelfond and Bradley J. Wechsler, Co-Chairmen and Co-CEOs, IMAX Corporation. "This announcement is yet another indication that we are achieving our goal of bringing the very best Hollywood event films to IMAX theatres, which we believe is key to expanding the IMAX network around the world. Our research has shown us that moviegoers want to see blockbuster films in IMAX's format and are paying a premium price for the experience. We believe that the magic of Harry Potter The Prisoner of Azkaban will translate into an amazing cinematic adventure in IMAX theatres, and will continue the strong performances of IMAX DMR releases to date."

"We are very excited to bring the adventure and fantasy of Harry Potter to life on the giant IMAX screen," said David Heyman, producer of the Harry Potter film series. "When Alfonso Cuaron, the film's director, and I, saw IMAX DMR, we knew we had to release this film in IMAX theatres, as it will bring a whole new perspective to this magical story. Whether they've read all of the Harry Potter novels and seen the first two films, or are just now immersing themselves in the world of Harry Potter, fans will amplify their experience with IMAX's exceptional and immersive cinematic presentation."

Warner Bros. Pictures and IMAX will also be distributing the first-ever 3D motorsports film, NASCAR 3D: The IMAX Experience starting March 12, 2004. Narrated by Kiefer Sutherland and starring the drivers of NASCAR, NASCAR 3D: The IMAX Experience will put moviegoers in the driver’s seat in an unprecedented way through the magic of IMAX 3D technology.

About IMAX Corporation:

Founded in 1967, IMAX Corporation is one of the world's leading entertainment technology companies. IMAX's businesses include the creation and delivery of the world's best cinematic presentations using proprietary IMAX and IMAX 3D technology, and the development of the highest quality digital production and presentation. IMAX has developed revolutionary technology called IMAX DMR (Digital Re-mastering) that makes it possible for any 35mm film to be transformed into the unparalleled image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience. The IMAX brand is recognized throughout the world for extraordinary and immersive family experiences. As of September 30 2003, there were more than 235 IMAX theatres operating in 36 countries.

IMAX®, IMAX® 3D, IMAX® DMR and The IMAX Experience® are trademarks of IMAX Corporation. More information on the Company can be found at www.imax.com.

|  IP: Logged

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2003 05:51 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Read in the other thread about "Shrek 2" being a potential blowup.

Instead of doing the DMR process, wouldn't it make more sense to simply render the animation at the higher resolution and narrower aspect ratio of IMAX than to do an EPII-style (very fuzzy at best) blowup?

I've come to accept that IMAX is the 70mm of our generation.

I would assume something similar could be done from a 65mm neg.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-18-2003 05:55 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, really it would make more sense to shoot the movie on 5-perf 65mm negative, do 4K to 6K renders (instead of the status quo 2K) and make ultra high rez 5/70 prints and pretty good looking 4/35 reduction 'scope prints. Oh well. Like that's ever gonna happen.
[uhoh]

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-18-2003 06:37 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see why they don't put 2 and 2 together and realize the marketing value of conventional 5 perf 70mm.

Hmmm...John Pytlak's thread was first and was more inclusively titled. Shouldn't he win?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-18-2003 07:26 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No John lost because he is not one of the moderators starting a later thread [Frown]

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-18-2003 08:31 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
My apologies to John for locking his thread.

We appear to have been typing at the same time, I just got delayed posting.

I thought the press release should stay open because it's specific about what the next DMR release actually is rather than an article about a phone call two weeks ago speculating what someone might want the next release to be.

I really don't understand why this petty little issue is such a big deal on the forums and in the chat room. Jesus Christ, people. I closed an accidental double topic. Get a life!

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2003 09:47 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will this be in OAR, like THE MATRIX films? Or will it be like APOLLO 13 and CRAP OF THE CLONES (or ATTACK OF THE CRAP?) [Big Grin]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-18-2003 10:12 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get a life
hmmmmm
does that mean there is life beyond film-tech?
the first post topic should have stayed and the second locked or transfered to it
there seems to be a lot of "what ever" type of attitude these days

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 12-18-2003 10:43 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]

Gordon: My reply to this will be posted in the Dolby Trailers thread.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 12-19-2003 09:56 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like everyone is jumping on the feature film blow-ups in IMAX bandwagon. Except for the studio that started it.

Disney has very quietly pulled Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, and Pocahontas
from IMAX relese. It is possable that Aladdin will have a short run in late 2004 as a promotion to sell the DVD.

Hey, Eisner. [fu] Up yours.

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2003 03:54 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i don't care for harry potter 3 coming to IMAX, but it would really help out business. Spiderman 2 would really be cool, at least we know the running length of these movies.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2003 04:04 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I can translate of the press release, Harry Potter 3 in IMAX will open day-and-date with 35mm. That puts this sequel alongside Treasure Planet and The Matrix Revolutions. [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: