Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » Interesting ( ;-) )site about Large format film (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Interesting ( ;-) )site about Large format film
Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2004 06:58 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone directed me to this site as being an authorative guide to large format aspect ratios [Eek!]

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Makeup/4303/largeformats.html

I particularly like the 6 optical tracks on the 70mm release prints [Roll Eyes] [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-05-2004 07:27 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This site is as bad as that Carr and Hayes book.

Robert Harris
Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2004 08:41 AM      Profile for Robert Harris   Email Robert Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a superb site, and should be required of anyone truly interested in the technical history of film.

I'd always wondered what all that brown stuff on the edges of 70mm film covered up and now I know.

Scrape it away and...

Its the seven channels of optical stereo variable area...

as mentioned in the C-H tome.

Some people should not be permited to use Photoshop.

RAH

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 04-05-2004 11:06 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dick wrote:

quote:
I particularly like the 6 optical tracks on the 70mm release prints
And the 65mm positive 'negative'

Robert, it's an anti-piracy device, by putting all that brown gunk down the edges of the print they stop you from playing the multi channel optical track and running off pirate CDs of it. Of course, the brown gunk down the edges also goes nicely with the brown splodges that they put all over the piicture. [Frown]

[ 04-05-2004, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: Stephen Furley ]

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2004 01:57 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quote from the website:
quote:
Imax theaters have also taken vertical 70mm prints of movies like Titanic and The Perfect Storm and shown them on the Imax screen. When blown up onto a large screen these movies lack the sharpness of movies that were shot on horizontal 70mm like Everest and Special Effects: Anything Can Happen.
The Perfect Storm wasn't a 70mm release.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2004 07:45 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if its printed on the Internet, it MUST be true. Right?

I would think you could do better than that with just a cursory look around the Internet. Between Marty's Widescreen Museum and Thomas' In70mm page, you could pretty much clear up everything in this document.

I love the optical tracks. My favorite sentence is "If an anamorphic lens is used the sky is the limit."

Oh, there are cool pictures of his pool party here:

Brian's Pool Party

Profound comments on 1970's Drive-In Movies are here:

I Don't Like Drive-In Films

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-05-2004 08:13 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright. Which one of y'all is gonna point him to this site and specifically this thread?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-05-2004 10:28 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a bonanza for Dolby!
Dolby will love this new 70mm system as you will need at least 6 RED LED's per machine. Once the market is saturated with regular 35mm RED LED scanners this system will immediatey bring Dolby's RED LED sales back to what they were a few years ago. Hey nothings better than discrete Dolby SR! I'm looking foreword to seeing the CP-300 as well....

Actually someone should e-mail this fella and let him know that things are amuck!

Mark

Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2004 11:33 PM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have sent him an email and pointed him to this thread.

[Big Grin]

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2004 11:59 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The page about large formats was absolutely hilarious. Was this guy a high school student doing a project? I noticed a lot of grammatical and spelling errors in the pages too.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 04-06-2004 04:28 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About DtS he says:
quote:
The Data is on a CD (or 2 or 3 CDs depending on the film's length)

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2004 04:38 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The projected light beams for the 3 strip Cinerama set up also exhibit interesting optical properties [Confused]

Gilbert Travin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2004 04:47 AM      Profile for Gilbert Travin   Author's Homepage   Email Gilbert Travin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..... HI !!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

And what about 70 mm with 78 rpm disc synchronized ? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-06-2004 05:07 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were a number of experimental systems in the 1900s and teens which synched 35mm film to high speed coarsegroove discs (e.g. Messter Biophon, Gaumont Chronophone, Hepworth Vivaphone - which was 78rpm), but I don't know any wide film experiments which did that. That's not to say that there weren't any, though.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2004 12:20 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come on folks, be a little bit charitable. This fellow is not claiming to be the authoritative source on film formats.

The author merely states:
quote:
I went on-line and tried to find out as much as I could about the various ways to shoot a movie or TV show and tried my best to summarize it.
Sure there are errors, but there's a lot of good information and diagrams too. If I were a high school teacher I'd give it a high grade.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: